What's new

MGM Announces Robocop SE 6/8 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hi all.

I just saw that Davis DVD has an announcement that MGM will be releasing a Robocop SE on 6/8. The SE will feature the unrated extended cut with a new anamorphic transfer.

As with nearly every MGM release of late, the good news comes with bad. The SE will be exclusive to the Robocop Trilogy box set, featuring anamorphic transfers of the passable Robocop II and absymal Robocop III.

I figured this would happen since I recently broke down and bought the new non-SE Robocop disc from MGM, but I wasn't expecting more exclusive non-sense. :angry:

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Why couldn't they do like Fox (Alien Quad) and offer the DVDs seperately? I don't want Robocop 2 or 3 but have heard alot about the violence and gore of the first movie andI would buy it if available individually.

No sale, MGM.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Great news about the SE, terrible news about how it’s only in a box set. I really hope they come to their senses and release them separately.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Why?
Because no one would buy the second and third installment.

Cees

CraigL

Screenwriter

A very good 5.1 track along with many many other extras and a new commentary. it's a great SE and I've had it for years. The making of special is very good but it doesn't have any of the actors in it unfortunately. You have to rely on the original EPK's. And the deleted scenes are disappointing as well. Other than that, a great package.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Sorry Craig.. the 5.1 track isn't good at all, IMHO. There's a distinct harshness to the voices almost as if some kind of electronic filtering is going on there. The bass is lacking too most of the time, although really rather pumped up in others. In all seriousness, the Dolby 2.0 mix is a lot better, and the laserdisc's PCM is another cut above.

The MGM version is a good SE, the commentary does a fair amount of replication of Criterion's, although there's too much of Neumier goofing around on it. And the Flesh and Steel featurette is informative and easygoing.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well the good news is that the extras look nice, and RoboCop 2 was actually pretty good and very much in spirit with Verhoeven's original. Saw RoboCop 3 partially on cable, but didn't really get into it. Will count it as another extra on a set that will likely be available to buy at around $25 anyway, so a nice deal and a good addition to the Criterion RoboCop. No extras on the other two I assume, not even a trailer?

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Yuck. I won't be buying (unless they price the box so the third one is free and I can use it as a coaster).
C'mon MGM! Release them seperately!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I certainly won't be buying. I only want the first movie - so I guess I'll be holding onto my current MGM release.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Cees,
I 120% agree with you about the Alien Quadrilogy. I too ONLY own the first two films on Collector's Edition DVD.:D
Ray.

P.S. I actually quite liked RoboCop 2:). Nowhere nearly as much as the first. RoboCop 3, I wanted my money back at the theatre!:angry:

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Good to hear the announcement, I almost ordered the R2 last saturday, I had it in my shopping cart at Benson's world uk, but wasn't sure if it was worth 26 pounds.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I find Robocop 2 enjoyable, but the only thing I remember about 3 is a cheesy commercial of Robocop flying or something like that. Anyway I'd probably buy this if list is $40, since I can internally justify a street price of $30 ($20 for Robocop, $10 for Robocop 2, $0 for Robocop 3!).

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
According to the thread about this at DVDTalk, the set will retail for $39.99. And to upset some of you even more (don't kill the messenger ;)), Robocop 2 & 3 will each be available separately on 6/8, with MSRPs of $14.99 each, but the Robocop SE is available exclusively in the box (at least for the time being - who knows if they'll release it separately later on).

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I guess this will piss people off, as for me I don't care because when I bought the Criterion version the msrp was 40 and I could only find it at stores charging full msrp.

I still love my criterion edition and would not think of getting rid of it since it was the 2nd dvd I ever bought, first being another verhoeven film, starship troopers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks