What's new

Match Color w/components? (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
Do you try and keep all of your components (amp, pre/pro, DVD, VCR, etc) the same color?
Most of my components are black and I ordered a silver pre/pro. I don't think the unit will be shipped until tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should change my order to a black one. If it's too late to change my order I could always replace all of my hardware with matching silver.... ;)

Yogi

Screenwriter
All my components are black but my new Conrad Johnson pre and amp are champagne and they kind of look out of place in the rack, but the good thing is I am going to build a new stereo system around those two components and so they will eventually move out of this system.

I wouldn't mind one silver component in a bunch of black components as it would look like it was the center piece of my system (I would put it in the center of the rack). Any more than one would seem incongruous (sp??) So you should be fine with just one silver component.

BrianKR

Second Unit
"it would look like it was the center piece of my system"

My friend said the very same thing to me today when I told him I ordered the B&K with the silver face plate. As of yet the order hasn't been sent out but I don't think I am going to change it to black.

ChrisMcL

Grip
I think I like this thread. Let's face it, as much as we whine about perfect reproduction, the way our equipment looks has as much to do with our choice of gear as how well it works.

And unlike Jonathan Swift, I'm being serious here, when I propose that we take a stand, and purchase only attractive A/V equipment. Let's face it, attractive equipment can often give us pleasure even when it is turned off or broken. How many of us bought a piece of A/V gear because it satisfied our ego, and not our desire for good reproduction.

No longer should we be embarassed by this. Be proud of your golden woofer cones, take pride in your polished silver faceplates, let others marvel at your CD's spinning behind plexiglass and steel. RISE UP, and join me brothers; tell me your stories. Tell us all how you covet your equipment's appearance. Let this be a cleansing.

Dean Arizona

Agent
I considered the B&K Reference 50 in silver but went with black - to match the rest of the components in my rack. Also, one thing to consider is the reflective quality of silver in a dark room. My equipment rack sits next to my Sony Vega XBR. I hate seeing any refection out of the corner of my right eye. This greatly distracts from the movie image. I even concealed the the signal light meters on my ATI amps to eliminate the annoyance of flickering red dots in the darkness (the amp peak lights are still visible). Just something to consider if your components are in the line of sight with your monitor. ;)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I have 50% black and 50% silver. Anthem pre, Aragon amp, nOrh cd-1, all silver. Denon 2900, Xbox, QSQ RMX2450, black.

Might have to rearrange so I have a black half of the rack and silver half. Right now its on Oreo cookie look! :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
My Silver Parasound Halo and my Silver Antique Sound Labs
Tube Monoblocks make all my black stuff look, well, BLACK!

Black is booring :) Everything "comes back around" silver
was high end back in the day...

Silver just looks so sexy and black doesn't.... Yeah I love
the way silver looks.. Thats why when I get my Aragon amps
I will go with silver... I will have all the good silver
stuff up top and all the booring black at the bottom.

I am not sure thoug if this will be detrimental to the
sound quality because of the unbalanced flow of Chi. I may
have to have a Fueng Shaui(Sp?) person come in and set the
stuff up for optimal Chi Flow :)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I buy gear to be heard not seen so for me I want them all black and as few lights as possible. I do appreciate the looks of silver gear in the showroom but given the choice I'll take black home over silver....though a little of both might not be too bad if done tastefully like some of the Rotel amps:emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisMcL

Grip
Adam, Brett, and Andrew:

You guy's are cookin' now. And Brett, (Silver just looks so sexy and black doesn't.... Yeah I love
the way silver looks) you've got the right attitude!

Andrew, you tell it about Black Power!

Adam, you've got an admirably progressive attitude. Don't take any crap.

Me? I like my snazzy silver Rotel Preamps and Amps, my scintillatingly silver-metallic Zenith Plasma, and the bold blue light on my Panamax RackMax Light. And don't get me started about my undeniably stylish Audioquest cables ---oh you guys have got to go to the audioquest website to see these things, they have multi-colored braided jackets to die for. Phew, I'm gettin' hot fellas. I'll stop before I tell you about my Sanus A/V furniture; even the name sounds dirty.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I love the way silver looks on components.
I also dig systems with a ton of lights on them!
The B&K doesn't really have any. I was in my HT room saying goodbye to my receiver and thinking, "I am going to miss all of your pretty lights". :frowning:

But then I remembered how awesome the B&K sounded in the room and I quickly got over it.

I also took looks into consideration when I purchased my speakers. *ducks* oh no I just committed a mortal sin by admitting that huh? I love the color and design of B&W Nautilus speakers. So I bought them :D

They sound pretty good too....;)

JohnAJR

Auditioning
Hell, you got me thinking now of draping a sheet over my dull black Krell, champagne c-j pre and brushed silver NuVista. Can't do much about the piano black Puppies...

Much prefer the ergonomics of my Sony 8/track receiver - that's right, 8/track- and the Boston A-40's in the bedroom. :wink:

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I think a system in a more public viewing area like a living room or family room should be color coordinated. All you married guys will definately agree that mismatched stuff is NOT gonna pass muster with the better half. In a place like the bedroom though, it makes much less of a difference if components are mismatched. I did buy a silver dvd/VCR combo to match my APEX 27" bedroom TV, but my Sherwood receiver which is in the same room, only came in black. All the stuff in my living room is black though; she wouldn't have it any other way. (sigh)

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Brushed silver ref. 50 with the blue illumination is the bomb!! The best looking silver components are the Parasound halo series only if you have all of them. I used to own a Halo A23. It was nice to look at but it was lonely. It needed a Halo C1 and a A51 to really pull it off.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
thinking now of draping a sheet over my dull black Krell
No No No... you'll kill the aiflow and won't be able to find the power switch. Spray paint or shoe polish would be better... I think I'm going to try it with my (silver) MC-12 so that it matches all of my other (black) equipment :D

Yogi

Screenwriter
More than black or silver color I like components with BLUE LEDs. Man do they look sexy. All my components have red or yellow LEDs:frowning:

JohnAJR

Auditioning
Spray paint or shoe polish would be better... I think I'm going to try it with my (silver) MC-12 so that it matches all of my other (black) equipment
Excellent, Dave. Hey man, the roll-on polish or the real deal? Tell you what, why don't you try both and let me know how it turns out?

In the meantime, I think I'll just carpet the Puppies to match...

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have stuff all over the place in terms of color. One of my amp is black, one is grey, one is satin, one preamp is satin one is silver. You make a picture. Its like modern art.

But the good news is that I am separating them into two groups. One with all black and one with all the other colors. So I am not too worried.

ChrisMcL

Grip
Cobalt blue LED's are the bomb. What happened to all the flashing lights though? Used to be a guy could buy a piece-of -s**t EQ or receiver that had lots of cool flashing lights. How about those flourescent green ones from the '80s. Knobs and switches are for wussies; real men use flashy lights and buttons.

The Parasound Halo is pretty cool, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Rotel user. They do have the only widescreen display on the front of a Preamp/Processor. I'll be getting one in the next month or two. And I'm not ashamed to say that the only reason for the upgrade is to have a Preamp with an LCD screen on the front. Anyone who thinks that's shallow can bite me.

John:

I suggest a heavy shag, maybe orange? It'll not only look stunning, but will help your Wilson's image better by decreasing diffraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks