What's new

Disney+ Black Widow (2021) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
MCUCosmic.com is teasing some kind of news on this tomorrow at 9 am EDT.

They also included this photo on their Facebook page:
42351632_2123410331255194_8359935339497783296_n.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The announcement is (informed) speculation that the film will focus on the Y2K threat, taking place (at least in part) in 1999.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Those departures are going to be tough to overcome.

I agree, but honestly I'm surprised that Marvel has been able to keep them around this long. Chris Evans recently tweeted about playing the character for the last 8 years. That's the length of a TV series commitment, and the movies are much bigger-scale than most TV. That they wouldn't want to stay forever is inevitable.

I suspect Johansson is willing to stick around because she's now being put in lead position for her own film, which isn't something she's done before with this character. And I do agree that they're planning to make Captain Marvel a centerpiece of the MCU going forward, so hopefully that movie works. They may be even more reliant upon her than expected given the implosion of Guardians.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There are some rumors flying around this weekend that Black Widow could be Marvel's first R-rated film.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...e-rated-r-marvel-rumored-to-be-considering-it

I doubt they'd do this, after having established the character over 10 years in PG-13 films, and I sincerely hope they do not. For one thing, my kids love Black Widow and would be crushed if they couldn't go see the movie. For another thing, Marvel's films have a huge under-18 audience; they need to stick to that. Plus, 2020 is shaping up as a year with only 2 MCU films. I doubt they'd limit themselves with one of them being R-rated.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There are some rumors flying around this weekend that Black Widow could be Marvel's first R-rated film.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...e-rated-r-marvel-rumored-to-be-considering-it

I doubt they'd do this, after having established the character over 10 years in PG-13 films, and I sincerely hope they do not. For one thing, my kids love Black Widow and would be crushed if they couldn't go see the movie. For another thing, Marvel's films have a huge under-18 audience; they need to stick to that. Plus, 2020 is shaping up as a year with only 2 MCU films. I doubt they'd limit themselves with one of them being R-rated.
The MPAA really needs to get rid of that rule that prevents a studio from having R and PG-13 versions of a film in release at the same time.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And the maximum length of a personal service contract in CA is 7 years, so unless they're churning out a movie a year for the next 7, that contract is basically worthless from the start.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

There's a better chance that aliens will land on my doorstep and make me their new leader than of Marvel making an R rated Black Widow movie. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I expect there is some heavy small print which depends on the success of each film.

It also doesn’t mean that she’s been signed to headline seven Captain Marvel movies. It means she’ll make appearances in seven films. Assuming that the first film is successful, the way the contract would probably play out is that she’d do three Captain Marvel movies in the lead role, a couple team-up films in a more ensemble-type role, and a couple cameos in other heroes’ films. They may not even do all of that, but I think that’s to allow the filmmakers to have her already available if they decide to include the character in other things.

Rumors of an R-rated Black Widow film are getting stronger.

Fortunately, I don’t put any stock in unsourced opinion pieces from fan sites that are not legitimate journalistic outlets. These people can make up all the clickbait they want, but I am not prepared to panic over it. Marvel is in the business of making billion dollar grossing tentpoles. They’re not going to release a film that cuts off a large portion of their existing audience. It would be one thing for them to continue allowing for R-rated Deadpool films after they control Fox; it’s another thing entirely for them to take a PG-13 character from a PG-13 franchise and put that character into an R rated film. Extremely unlikely to happen, particularly with the shared continuity. Marvel won’t make an “R” rated movie that the audience needs to see in order to follow their next “PG-13” movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks