What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Marvel’s first film in two years since Avengers: Endgame, Black Widow is an entertaining origin story (of sorts) for Scarlett Johansson’s Natasha Romanoff.

Black Widow (2021)

Released: 09 Jul 2021
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 134 min

Director: Cate Shortland
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour
Writer(s): Eric Pearson, Jac Schaeffer, Ned Benson

Plot: Natasha Romanoff confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises.

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: 67

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think you both mean Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog. 👿
:laugh:

I gave up on the Marvel Universe a long time ago.

I am intrigued by this part of the Todd's review:

Black Widow, while being a stand alone film with some origin roots for Natasha Romanoff, plays more like a James Bond or Mission: Impossible film than a traditional Marvel superhero film, yet the perils Natasha is placed in aren’t as suspenseful since we know what the outcome is beforehand. Presentation on UHD disc is excellent.
It sounds like I might be able to enjoy this as a stand alone film--with Scarlett front and center--and there is the added bonus of not knowing anything about the character of Back Widow. And I love the M:I and Bond films. :D

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep.....too many "Home" titles. I hope they abandon that with the next film!

Spider-Man: Home Alone
Spider-Man: The Voyage Home
Spider-Man: I'll Be Home for Christmas
Spider-Man: Sweet Home Alabama
Spider-Man: Homeward Bound
Spider-Man: Fly Away Home
Spider-Man: A Prairie Home Companion
Spider-Man: Home Fries
Spider-Man: Home for the Holidays
Spider-Man: Stealing Home
Spider-Man: Home on the Range
Spider-Man: Home Again

...and the list goes on.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'll get the 3D version -https://www.amazon.co.jp/Black-Widow-4K-and-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B09C22ZV9B?tag=bluraycom-22&linkCode=xm2&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll get the 3D version -https://www.amazon.co.jp/Black-Widow-4K-and-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B09C22ZV9B?tag=bluraycom-22&linkCode=xm2&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5
I'd like to, as well, but I'm not sure it's worth $70-80 to me for this film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd like to, as well, but I'm not sure it's worth $70-80 to me for this film.

I held my nose and did it. The deciding factor for me is that every April I rewatch the entirety of the MCU films so if it’s something I’ll watch once a year, that’s enough viewing to justify the price. I love having that Marvel 3D marathon each year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like I might be able to enjoy this as a stand alone film--with Scarlett front and center--and there is the added bonus of not knowing anything about the character of Back Widow. And I love the M:I and Bond films. :D
While there are copious references to the other MCU movies, everything you need to know to enjoy the plot and story of this one is explained within this one.

It's not like jumping on board with Endgame, where you'd be totally lost if you hadn't seen all of the films that came before it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the movie again this weekend on blu-ray and very much enjoyed it. I agree with whomever said that it would've been great if it somehow could have come out right after Civil War. Next time I do a Marvel rewatch, that's where it's going.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I watched the movie again this weekend on blu-ray and very much enjoyed it. I agree with whomever said that it would've been great if it somehow could have come out right after Civil War. Next time I do a Marvel rewatch, that's where it's going.
I watched the first half of the Marvel movies as they were released on disk. Then I decided to just wait until all were released. Once I had them all I followed an online recommendation and watched them all according to the period time line. I very much enjoyed them this way. I'll watch BW when I get it, but moving forward I think I'll stick to the period time line over the studio production time line. To save space, I found some covers that allowed me to store the disks in multiple 10 disk blu-ray cases. I even have them stored in period time line order in the cases for easier next viewing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the 4K disc, and the 3D back to back. Holy cow, that was an experience. I like the 3D experience better overall with superb 3D (and that IMAX shifting aspect ratio) over the 4K. But the 4K was simply fantastic with amazing AV quality (Dolby Atmos on this KICKS A--). What a great couple of discs!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just watched the 4K disc, and the 3D back to back. Holy cow, that was an experience. I like the 3D experience better overall with superb 3D (and that IMAX shifting aspect ratio) over the 4K. But the 4K was simply fantastic with amazing AV quality (Dolby Atmos on this KICKS A--). What a great couple of discs!

Wait. The 3D version has IMAX shifting AR? I didn't even realize there were actual IMAX scenes for this movie. I only saw it the once in the new ScreenX format, which is sorta the opposite of IMAX in terms of AR (and I found that wanting)...

$70-80 is way too high a price for me though (even though that Japanese release actually also includes the 4K disc)... Wonder if the 3D BD will get a much more palatable UK release before long...

_Man_

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wait. The 3D version has IMAX shifting AR? I didn't even realize there were actual IMAX scenes for this movie. I only saw it the once in the new ScreenX format, which is sorta the opposite of IMAX in terms of AR (and I found that wanting)...

$70-80 is way too high a price for me though (even though that Japanese release actually also includes the 4K disc)... Wonder if the 3D BD will get a much more palatable UK release before long...

_Man_
Yes, it made the purchase easier for me. As far as the 3D, I guess I'm just easy to please because most people thought it was average 3D, and I still think it is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks