What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Furies (1950) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
9TTjP15bKoZruNTlx8uvvB6oPAMC2O_large.jpg

Barbara Stanwyck and Walter Huston are at their fierce finest in this crackling western melodrama by master Hollywood craftsman Anthony Mann. In 1870s New Mexico Territory, megalomaniacal widowed ranch owner T. C. Jeffords (Huston, in his final role) butts heads with his firebrand of a daughter, Vance (Stanwyck), over her dowry, choice of husband, and, finally, ownership of the land itself. Sophisticated in its view of frontier settlement and ablaze with searing domestic drama, The Furies is an often-overlooked treasure of American filmmaking, boasting Oscar–nominated cinematography and vivid supporting turns from Judith Anderson, Wendell Corey, and Gilbert Roland.
FILM INFO

Anthony Mann
United States
109 minutes
Black & White
1.33:1
English
Spine #435
SPECIAL FEATURES

High-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 2008 featuring film historian Jim Kitses
New program featuring critic Imogen Sara Smith (Blu-ray only)
The Movies: “Action Speaks Louder Than Words,” a 1967 television interview with director Anthony Mann
Rare on-camera interview with actor Walter Huston, made for the movie-theater series Intimate Interviews in 1931
Interview from 2008 with Nina Mann, the director’s daughter
Stills gallery of rare behind-the-scenes photos (DVD only)
Trailer
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
PLUS: An essay by critic Robin Wood and a 1957 Cahiers du cinéma interview with Mann, as well as a new printing of the 1948 novel by Niven Busch on which the film is based

Cover by Eric Skillman

April 20, 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Long overdue, long anticipated and very much welcomed. A Day One purchase.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed the DVD release years ago, and I was so delighted to then be introduced to this wonderful movie. I recall the DVD looking very good, so this should be next level excellent.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Rodney

Premium
I will be purchasing this Day One, but it appears to me, based on the wording, that they using the same scan as the one used for the 2008 DVD. i was hoping to see that it would be a new scan, considering how much better scanning techniques have been since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerber