What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 3 General Discussion (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Jeff Cooper said:
True, but it also means that Black Panther won't have anything to do with IW, since they won't even introduce him until after IW1. I just thought they would be more interconnected.
No, Black Panther is going to debut in Civil War.

image.jpg

So his character will already be established before Infinity War Part 1. The question I have is will his solo movie be a flashback origin story or will it be tied into the story of the IW films? Since it is in theaters almost one year before Infinity War Part 2 I still think its possible it could tie into that story (same with Captain Marvel).

Of course, it's easier for these movies to tie into IW2 if the Infinity War movies are two chapters in a larger story instead of just one movie broken into two parts. I'm hoping its more of the former.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sean Bryan said:
So his character will already be established before Infinity War Part 1. The question I have is will his solo movie be a flashback origin story or will it be tied into the story of the IW films? Since it is in theaters almost one year before Infinity War Part 2 I still think its possible it could tie into that story (same with Captain Marvel).

Andy Serkis's character in Avengers 2 is assumed to be Panther villain (and Vibranium smuggler) Ulysses Klaw, so the idea of Wakanda being a valuable resource source is likely to be brought up, and the solo movie can proceed from there.

Yep, looks like they're serious about it, and already had plans in before the change-up.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ejanss said:
Andy Serkis's character in Avengers 2 is assumed to be Panther villain (and Vibranium smuggler) Ulysses Klaw, so the idea of Wakanda being a valuable resource source is likely to be brought up, and the solo movie can proceed from there.
Yep, looks like they're serious about it, and already had plans in before the change-up.
Yes, there was some recent promotional material that confirmed that Serkis is playing Ulysses Klaw.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Variety is reporting that the rumors of the Russo brothers directing Infinity War Parts One and Two are now confirmed.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/avengers-infinity-russo-brothers-directors-1201458324/

If Whedon is too burned out to helm Infinity War (and he has basically said as much), then I think the Russos are a great choice. I think they did a fantastic job with The Winter Soldier so I have a good feeling about them basically opening and closing Phase Three (Civil War and Infinity War).

I still hope Whedon remains involved as a producer.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The writing team of Marcus and McFeeley (The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier) will again script for the Russos on Civil War. I'm glad to hear it.

Also, I just read a quote from Kevin Feige about Infinity War that is very encouraging.

“That’s very true,” Feige said about the pause. “It’s early days to talk about anything specifically, but I will say the intention of that is to do two, distinct stand-alone movies, as we do all the time. But because they [have] such shared elements, it felt appropriate. And we hadn’t done it before! So it felt appropriate to do subgroupings like that. But I wouldn’t call it one story that’s cut in half. I would say it’s going to be two distinct movies.”
I was hoping that Infinity War would be two distinct stories that fit into a larger whole rather than just being one movie cut into two. It's great to hear that this is what Marvel intends.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Feige also had this to say about how Spider-Man fit into their Phase Three plans:

“Spider-Man we knew about when we were doing that announcement in October. It could have gone either way, and Marvel as you well know doesn’t announce announce anything officially until it’s set in stone. So we went forward with that Plan A in October, with the Plan B being, if it were to happen with Sony, how it would all shift,“ Feige told us, adding, “We’ve been thinking about it as long as we’ve been thinking about Phase Three.”"

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Infinity War Parts One and Two will be filmed entirely using the new IMAX/ARRI digital camera.

The Russos will be filming segments of Captain America: Civil War with the new digital IMAX camera, but Infinity War is getting it for the whole thing.

The Russos said:
"The intent with the Infinity War films is to bring ten years of accumulative storytelling to an incredible climax. We felt that the best way to exploit the scale and scope required to close out the final chapter of these three phases, was to be the first films shot entirely on the IMAX/ARRI Digital camera."
I'm hoping that they will actually render the visual effects in 4K.

They are supposed to start production later next year for a nine months back to back shoot on both films.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought this was interesting. Marvel Studios is breaking free of Marvel's Ike Perlmutter (reclusive Hollywood penny-pincher) and will now be reporting directly to Alan Horn at Disney.

After what one source describes as "several years of frustration," Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has pulled off a reorganization of the vaunted film company that has him reporting to Disney studio chief Alan Horn as opposed to the infamously micromanaging Marvel Entertainment CEO Isaac "Ike" Perlmutter.

Feige, the architect of Marvel's transition from a flailing comic book company into a film powerhouse that was sold to Disney for $4 billion in 2009, is said to have vented his unhappiness to Horn and Disney CEO Bob Iger earlier this summer. The reorganization was put into effect last week, according to sources.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/marvel-shake-up-film-chief-819205

Perlmutter sounds like a interesting character. Reportedly he didn't want to make a deal to pay Downey to appear in Civil War or to extend his contract for additional films. He wanted to serve only chips at movie premiers, and he was upset when press member had more than one soda. For more background on the secretive mogul, this is a good article:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/how-marvel-became-envy-scourge-720363

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sean Bryan said:
I thought this was interesting. Marvel Studios is breaking free of Marvel's Ike Perlmutter (reclusive Hollywood penny-pincher) and will now be reporting directly to Alan Horn at Disney.

That can only mean good things for Marvel Studios.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wow. Ok, so apparently Feige got so frustrated with answering to cheapskate Ike and dealing with the hindrances of the "creative committee" that he threatened to leave Marvel Studios unless Disney intervened.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-civil-war-why-kevin-820147

Multiple sources say that Feige's years of frustration came to a head in part over the making of the third installment of the Captain America series, which recently completed filming in Georgia. Others say it was a move whose time finally had come because the film division slowly has gravitated toward Disney and now will based on the Burbank studio lot.

Civil War, set for release May 6, has been nicknamed Avengers 2.5 because its scope — and its huge cast — is more in line with the Marvel mega-movies than the studio’s normal single-hero outing. Set for release in May 2016, Civil War sees the Marvel heroes pitted against each other. It features almost every actor from the Avengers movies, including Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans, and introduces Tom Holland as a new screen version of Spider-Man.

Sources say the budget on Civil War ballooned accordingly, which didn't sit well with the famously frugal Perlmutter. “New York wanted to scale it down,” says one insider. Marvel and Disney declined to comment.

“New York” in this case wasn’t just Perlmutter, 72. It was also Marvel's so-called "creative committee," a group of execs from Marvel’s various divisions including publishing as well as Alan Fine, Perlmutter’s right-hand man. The collective has been around since nearly the inception of Marvel Studios in the mid-2000s, offering critiques of creative choices as well as input on business decisions. Insiders say that with Feige breaking free of Perlmutter and the New York side of the company, the committee will not be disbanded but its influence over the Marvel movies will be nominal at best.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
So this all sounds like a good thing, one less level of reporting for Feige to have to deal with along with less penny pinching. I guess it would be easy for the budget on these projects to spiral out of control though.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nigel P said:
Chris Evans on Extending His Marvel Contract: “If They Want Me, They Got Me”
http://collider.com/chris-evans-eager-to-extend-marvel-contract-past-avengers-4/

Chris that is not how you negotiate.
I was happy to hear Chris Evans say that.

He has said similar things in the past, but nothing as definitive as this.

I don't think it's likely he'll be signing any more 6 picture deals, but it seems like he'll be open to signing on for one or two at a time like Downey has.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nigel P said:
So this all sounds like a good thing, one less level of reporting for Feige to have to deal with along with less penny pinching. I guess it would be easy for the budget on these projects to spiral out of control though.
Yes, Marvel has been notoriously frugal with it's contracts for it's stars. I remember reading about Downey really fighting to get better deals for the other Avengers main cast.

It's been reported that Perlmutter was the reason they replaced Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle when Howard wanted a better deal for Iron Man 2. Perlmutter reportedly said audiences wouldn't notice the change because they are both black.

Perlmutter didn't want to pay for Downey in Civil War. When Feige and the Russos were considering that for the direction of Cap 3, they would only do it if Tony Stark would be involved. Perlmutter reportedly said they should just replace Downey with Ruffalo (Banner for Stark). But Feige was able to get him to acquiesce.

It was reportedly the notes of the "creative committee" that drove off Edgar Wright. Ant-Man still turned out great, but there's no denying that it created a difficult situation for the film.

Yes, I think these will be positive changes for Feige and Marvel Studios moving forward.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
It's been reported that Perlmutter was the reason they replaced Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle when Howard wanted a better deal for Iron Man 2. Perlmutter reportedly said audiences wouldn't notice the change because they are both black.

I don't think Howard even wanted a better deal; he just wanted his existing deal honored. He was the first star signed to the picture, and he was still riding high off his success in Hustle & Flow at the time. As a result he was well compensated -- reportedly more so than RDJ, Paltrow and Bridges -- and Marvel got buyer's remorse.

Marvel tried to claw back some what it considered overpayment by offering Howard a drastically, insultingly low offer that represented a substantial pay cut from the first film. It's also been reported that Jon Favreau disliked working with him, but Favreau's never actually been quoted saying it, so it's possible that it was just a rumor Marvel floated out there to muddy the waters with a situation that made the company look bad.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
I don't think Howard even wanted a better deal; he just wanted his existing deal honored. He was the first star signed to the picture, and he was still riding high off his success in Hustle & Flow at the time. As a result he was well compensated -- reportedly more so than RDJ, Paltrow and Bridges -- and Marvel got buyer's remorse.

Marvel tried to claw back some what it considered overpayment by offering Howard a drastically, insultingly low offer that represented a substantial pay cut from the first film. It's also been reported that Jon Favreau disliked working with him, but Favreau's never actually been quoted saying it, so it's possible that it was just a rumor Marvel floated out there to muddy the waters with a situation that made the company look bad.
Yikes. That's even worse. Seems to fit with the reports about Perlmutter's penny pinching. Good on Feige for being able to pull the film division away from this after years of struggling against it while trying to developing a successful mega-franchise.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
On that note, I remembered this quote from Feige a few months back when asked about the lack of the "One Shot" shorts on their recent BD releases.

“I think it would be great to see more one-shots. We’ll see… You look at me as if I’m the only person who controls that decision; I wish that were the case. But I think when the opportunity arises we would do it, we would jump on it. There is a backlog of ideas for one-shots that we haven’t done yet.”
Considering these recent developments his statement becomes more clear. Perlmutter didn't want to pay for them. Hopefully this means we'll see them return soon. Maybe there's enough time to do one for Ant-Man's BD release?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Unlikely, as Ant-Man's due on video in December, but certainly by the time Civil War comes to video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks