What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 3 General Discussion (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Regarding Thor: Ragnorak
One of the earliest announcements during Marvel Studios' press event in Los Angeles today was that the Thor 3 is officially titled Thor: Ragnarok and that it is scheduled for release on July 28, 2017. While the subtitle indicates that Chris Hemsworth's Mighty Avenger will be dealing with the end of the Universe in Norse Mythology, Kevin Feige confirmed that Loki will return, played once again by Tom Hiddleston. "This is a very important movie for us in Phase 3," said the producer. "We plan on taking Thor to another level. It picks up where we leave Thor in Avengers: Age of Ultron and impacts everything that comes after."

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Kevin Feige On Hulk:
[Hulk] is going to appear in many of the movies announced today. Part of the fun of Avengers: Age of Ultron was saying, ‘you’ve seen another Iron Man adventure, you see another Thor adventure and another Cap adventure, but we haven’t seen the Green Goliath again. So that was important in the characters you haven’t seen – Hulk being one of them and Hawkeye being one of them – Ultron will make up for it.
On Black Widow:
Black Widow couldn't be more important as an Avenger, but like Hulk the Avengers films will be the films where they play a primary role. [Her role] is very, very big and further develops her character. The plans we have for her through the rest of the Avengers saga are very big and she is a linchpin. So instead of taking her out there or doing a prequel which we haven’t done yet, we’re continuing the forward momentum of the continuity of the Cinematic Universe, of which Widow is a key part.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Sean Bryan said:
Left out Ant-Man as the kick-off in July 2015.
Interestingly, Feige stated at this press conference that Ant-Man is technically being considered the end of Phase 2 and Civil War starts off Phase 3. It's great that they actually trolled fans for a while there, as they initially gave Cap 3 the title of "Serpent Society", and only later in the presentation did they reveal that it is, in fact, Civil War.
image.jpg
There were tons of nerds saying, "What! Serpent Society!?" Ha!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Looking forward to all of these but I'm least interested in Dr. Strange and Thor. The Thor solo movies have been the weakest of the Marvel movies so far, I find he works better in the a group. Too bad the Hulk isn't getting another movie of his own but at least he will be featured in more of other movies. That Black Panther artwork looks awesome!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not really excited about: Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther. Somewhat middling interested about Thor and The Inhumans. The rest should be okay, I guess. :D

ruthkeith

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruth Keith
Patrick Sun said:

Captain America: CIVIL WAR - May 6th, 2016

Doctor Strange - November 4th, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - May 5th, 2017
Thor: Ragnarok - July 28th, 2017
Black Panther - November 3, 2017
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1 - MAY 4TH, 2018
Captain Marvel - July 6th, 2018
The Inhumans - November 2nd, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2 - MAY 3rd, 2019

Discuss....

I came across this term 'Ragnarok' in a popular manga called Noblesse also. There it is the name of a weapon though! But I love how it sounds! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think it's an impressive slate of movies. I've enjoyed the Thor movies, particularly the last one. I see this list and, given Marvel's track record, I'm excited to see these. By contrast, I see Warner's list of DC films that are planned and I'm ambivalent, mainly because Man of Steel left me underwhelmed and Zack Synder's grim and gritty mood doesn't fit the material IMO.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
ruthkeith said:
I came across this term 'Ragnarok' in a popular manga called Noblesse also. There it is the name of a weapon though! But I love how it sounds! :)
While there has been a Thor-Clone character in the comics that used this name, we can be pretty sure that the story will be inspired by the "End Times for Asgard" Ragnorak storyline from the comics. http://www.comicvine.com/ragnarok/4045-57103/

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My name for Thor 2 was "Thortal" because all that portal-esque movement between worlds just got on my last nerve after a while. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Presumably Thor: Ragnarok will be (loosely) based on the Surtur Saga (Thor 350-353), and will put Thor in a position to participate in the second of the Infinity Wars movies, but not the first.

Two macro thoughts, seeing this very fun list, with plenty to look forward to, for fans of spectacle filmmaking:

1) Marvel is extremely confident, and I hope it is the good kind. They should be, after Guardians. Their brand clearly translates, they cast well, and they have a vision, and their large fanbase understands the larger picture.

2) They seem to recognize that movies are NOT comics, and they won't have a 33 year old (or whatever) Chris Evans to play Captain America forever. Unlike comics, which have a comfortable stasis, these films have people, and people age, and actors move on. That gives the Marvel Cinematic Universe a unique timeflow that doesn't exist in the comics, or animated series, or even books. They HAVE to push forward and branch out. I think that is exciting. I don't think the bench is as deep for Marvel as they obviously do, but it is a lot deeper than people though 4 years ago (before Thor and Cap hit). This is an intriguing element of the MCU, and has me more interested, not less.

Three micro thoughts:
1) Serpent Society would have been fun. I always liked the Cap issues where he fought them. But I get it.
2) Eventually, every human with a SAG card is going to have to be in one of these.
3) Fox really should have played ball. I'm sure the terms weren't great, but they would have certainly been profitable. A shame, as Fox's X-Men (2000) really kicked this whole thing off.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For the upcoming singular Marvel films (Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and Black Panther), I just don't really see boffo box office juice there. They may get a nice opening weekend or two, but I don't see them having legs like the surprise hit of 2014 did (GotG).

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I found the announcement pretty exciting considering it was just a list of names to go with the dates and one lead role. Did they want to make this announcement at comic-con or was this a direct response to DC announcing their own list, personally I don't really care.

I have already aired my concerns on Captain America Civil War, but I am still really excited to see what they do. Black Panther being in it is exciting from an action standpoint. Can they maintain or surpass the level of Winter Soldier's fight scenes, can they get Black Panther's style down as well as they did Cap's, will we see a 3 way fight a la the Avengers forest scene.

Doctor Strange is interesting to me as it is a new area to be explored in the MCU. I am not familiar with the director's work however and it seems to have taken a long time to nail down the lead. I think this might be the toughest individual phase 3 film for them to get right, now Ant-Man is considered part of phase 2 anyway which I also find a little curious.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a very fun movie. They haven't announced a subtitle yet maybe because it could spoil events of Age of Ultron if they did. Could it be related to the fate of one of the heroes or the villain? It seems like the key people are back so hopefully they can keep that fresh feeling while exploring new areas.

The Thor films have been enjoyable to me, but he really does need a stand out film. Feige talked of having a Winter Soldier level of film and impact on the MCU at large. Based on the title I would imagine this should be very focused on Asgaard. I would hope so anyway and Guardians proved that something doesn't need to be earth based to be successful. I was very intrigued by how things ended in the Dark World.

Black Panther is the new property I am probably most excited for. I don't know that much about the character, but I do like what I have heard and seen. Technologically advanced nation but with a very isolationist attitude sounds cool and certainly relevant to the times we live in. The concept art of his outfit also looks very impressive.

There has been a lack of female lead superhero films and the ones there have been haven't been up to standard so I really hope they can do this one right. It is curious that it falls between the 2 parts of Infinity War so I assume maybe she has a key role to play in the second part. I hope they can pick a good writer/director, the right actress for Captain Marvel (say Emily Blunt), produce a really good film and that it is successful.

The Inhumans I hadn't even heard of until very recently and my brief understanding is that they are kind of a X-Men replacement. Again this falls in the middle of the Infinity War. I have no idea what to expect from this.

Infinity War, that teaser had me hyped. Not surprised it is 2 parts with the number of moving pieces there is likely to be in it. Will Whedon be back to direct and can they make the first part a satisfying film in its own right.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Patrick Sun said:
My name for Thor 2 was "Thortal" because all that portal-esque movement between worlds just got on my last nerve after a while. :)
I called the first Thor "Thor-ible" and so I've just been calling the second "Thor-ible Too."

Of all of Marvel's stuff, I've been least impressed and enthused by the Thor films. Thor as a supporting character has been totally fine though.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'd be fine with Blunt, but Natalie Dormer seems like the more obvious "get."

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I'd be happy with Blunt, never cared much for Sackhoff. When I saw the 2nd Thor movie, I had trouble staying awake through the whole thing, yet I liked it more that the first. I'm not going to guess how well any of these are going to do at the box office. Before Guardians came out, there was a lot of people on the net saying it was going to be Marvel's first bomb and look at how it turned out.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Patrick Sun said:
The Thor films are so-so because the most memorable character is Darcy.
And then, only because we....remember her, all right. :angry:

Hemsworth is still a perfect Thor, but the second movie, like the third Iron Man, needed to be handed to a director who knew what the flaming heck he was doing. That way, we could have had a more comic-iconic villain, like maybe one who had more dialogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks