What's new

Marilyn Monroe on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Agreed, I really like Let's Make Love. I particularly enjoy the famous cameos who show up to tutor Jean-Marc Clement. Shame the Forever Marilyn boxed set doesn't include it, Niagara or Bus Stop. Let's hope the set is successful enough to spur Fox on to releasing them soon.
As for the current set, I bought the Australian version in-store a few hours ago, first time in a long time I've purchased a blu-ray in a physical store as opposed to buying online. It's the same as the US set in terms of content, but the discs are in two regular blu-ray cases, which I prefer over digibook style inserts.
I've only had a brief opportunity to throw on each disc and have a quick look at their quality, but they are an improvement over the DVDs (as you would expect), and importantly, to my untrained eyes they appear to be unmolested. They're not "stunning" as such, but vibrant in most respects and with appropriate amounts of natural-looking grain. My favorite movie of the set is The Seven Year Itch.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Persianimmortal said:
Agreed, I really like Let's Make Love. I particularly enjoy the famous cameos who show up to tutor Jean-Marc Clement. .
Just caught it on Netflix a month or two ago, and the movie itself looked like the typical 40's-50's Fred Astaire "Band Wagon" musical that Fox was uncomfortably trying to convert to 1961--
The "nightclub revue" is now an off-Broadway theater in the Village (which was the big new thing back then), Marilyn's Cole Porter number now has to be done as "beatnik jazz", the first half of the script keeps making jokes about "Eh, these kids and their Elvis and Frankie Laine...", and Jean's Fred-Astaire character naturally has to learn some new acts to keep up with the show.
By the time we get the cameos, we're not sure whether they movie's trying to kiss up to the "new" audiences or say "You kids today don't even know who Gene Kelly and Milton Berle were!"
That said, this would be back when Marilyn was going back to the Actors Institute, and was having fun letting art wishfully imitate life as a young pavement-pounder at auditions. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sorry if I sound harsh, but I really am tired of all this lamenting over Bus Stop and Niagara not being included. Fox has enough Marilyn content for 2 boxes so naturally they wanted to hold back a few of her good titles for the second box. If they put all of her most popular titles in the first box and left only lesser titles for the second box that would not be very smart marketing.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/60#post_3955173
Sorry if I sound harsh, but I really am tired of all this lamenting over Bus Stop and Niagara not being included. Fox has enough Marilyn content for 2 boxes so naturally they wanted to hold back a few of her good titles for the second box. If they put all of her most popular titles in the first box and left only lesser titles for the second box that would not be very smart marketing.
You're correct...Fox is merely repeating the marketing scheme they used with their previous DVD box set releases of the Marilyn catalog, so why are so many of our members so surprised and upset at this being the case for blu-ray? I'm not!!!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It'll be interesting if Fox is actually planning a Volume 2, which would have a bulk of "Marilyn cameo" films like As Young as You Feel and We're Not Married. Though in this case, it seems like this collection is frontloaded will the majority of Fox's Technicolor Marilyn Monroe films. At least a Vol. 2 would't include ported MGM double-dips.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/60#post_3955175
You're correct...Fox is merely repeating the marketing scheme they used with their previous DVD box set releases of the Marilyn catalog, so why are so many of our members so surprised and upset at this being the case for blu-ray? I'm not!!!

I think the surprise and disappointment is the inclusion of SOME LIKE IT HOT and THE MISFITS, which have already seen the light of Blu-ray and and purchased by Monroe fans. I had rather the titles be left out and the price decreased, if they wanted to save the other titles for Volume 2, but I do not see much in LOVE NEST making it to Blu-ray and I guess that ALL ABOUT EVE will be included in the next volume.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/60#post_3955180

I think the surprise and disappointment is the inclusion of SOME LIKE IT HOT and THE MISFITS, which have already seen the light of Blu-ray and and purchased by Monroe fans. I had rather the titles be left out and the price decreased, if they wanted to save the other titles for Volume 2, but I do not see much in LOVE NEST making it to Blu-ray and I guess that ALL ABOUT EVE will be included in the next volume.
Every title in the box set is also being made available INDIVIDUALLY, so you're not welded to it with no way of avoiding the titles you DON'T want...I don't see the validity of your complaint frankly!!!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
How is "All About Eve" supposed to be a Marilyn Monroe movie? She's barely in it. It's a Bette Davis movie! Why isn't there a definitive Bette Davis collection on blu? :D Don't tell me she's not as popular. I could give you a list of twenty Bette films that deserve to be in such a collection, and twenty more after that.
Marilyn really only starred in about ten films. The rest were either small parts earlier in her career or ensemble parts like in "There's No Business LIke Show Business." Those ten films that she actually starred in should be in a single set (but impossible because they're not all from Fox).
I don't even understand this whole thing. You've got "Forever Marilyn" on blu with seven movies for $99.98, then you've got "Marilyn: The Premiere Collection" on dvd the same day with seventeen movies for $69.98! What the hell anyway. Why didn't they wait until all those other ten movies were restored/upgraded and release all of them on blu? I know a lot of people want it all, instead of waiting and wondering whether FOX will do a follow-up next year with the missing ten movies on blu.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
lukejosephchung said:
You're correct...Fox is merely repeating the marketing scheme they used with their previous DVD box set releases of the Marilyn catalog, so why are so many of our members so surprised and upset at this being the case for blu-ray? I'm not!!!;)
Think we had to wait for DVD Box 2 to get "Don't Bother to Knock", so I can wait this time, too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/60#post_3955196
How is "All About Eve" supposed to be a Marilyn Monroe movie? She's barely in it. It's a Bette Davis movie! Why isn't there a definitive Bette Davis collection on blu? Don't tell me she's not as popular. I could give you a list of twenty Bette films that deserve to be in such a collection, and twenty more after that.
Marilyn really only starred in about ten films. The rest were either small parts earlier in her career or ensemble parts like in "There's No Business LIke Show Business." Those ten films that she actually starred in should be in a single set (but impossible because they're not all from Fox).
I don't even understand this whole thing. You've got "Forever Marilyn" on blu with seven movies for $99.98, then you've got "Marilyn: The Premiere Collection" on dvd the same with with seventeen movies for $69.98! What the hell anyway. Why didn't they wait until all those other ten movies were restored/upgraded and release all of them on blu? I know a lot of people want it all, instead of waiting and wondering whether FOX will do a follow-up next year with the missing ten movies on blu.

It is not a Marilyn Monroe movie, but the DVD collections of Marilyn, there were several films that Marilyn was just scenery in. The statement was made tongue in cheek and yes Miss Davis is more popular than Marilyn and she needs more Blu, IMHO. I agree with you on why didn't they wait and release all films as they did with the Mel Brooks titles. Add a nice little book to it and you got a great collection.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/60#post_3955185
Every title in the box set is also being made available INDIVIDUALLY, so you're not welded to it with no way of avoiding the titles you DON'T want...I don't see the validity of your complaint frankly!!!
Do some math. Amazon is selling the five indvidual Blu-rays at $20.00 each or a total of $100.00. The collection is going for $74.00. I dont see the validity of your remark.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The validity it that you buy the box, divide by 5 which is cheaper than buying them individually and then sell off the ones you already have thereby saving even MORE money. That's what I did.
ahollis said:
Do some math.  Amazon is selling the five indvidual Blu-rays at $20.00 each or a total of $100.00.  The collection is going for $74.00.  I dont see the validity of your remark. :)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
ahollis said:
It is not a Marilyn Monroe movie, but the DVD collections of Marilyn, there were several films that Marilyn was just scenery in.  The statement was made tongue in cheek :)  
"Love Happy", for ex., is still classified as a "MM movie", even though she has literally only a two-line walk-on near the end.
(Although Groucho Marx claimed years later he was the first one to "discover" her for the movies.)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I finished Monkey Business today. I could see her comic ability developing in that film. Her black in white films do stand out. She just shines in Clash by Night and Don’t Bother to knock. The latter I think is one of Marilyn’s best performance’s Seven Year Itch is the one I have been waiting. The first movie I purchased when VCR’s came out was that film.
I agree that All About Eve is not a Monroe film. I had read some place that Marilyn could have gone for the actor in the last scene of the movie or the one she played. Wise choice on Marilyn's part. I just hope that we can have her other films released in another box collection. I loved the footage of Something’s Got to Give restored and released. I just read there was footage of Marilyn jumping into the pool with clothes on. The same scene which Doris Day did at the end of Move Over Darling.
I think the film had potential. So I cherish what few scenes we do have from the film.
I also have dusted off my large Monroe book collection. I purchased 4 new books just this year. How she died etc is not what I am after. I like a good biography. I thought Donald Spoto’s book was great. I just hope this new book that is on the way here will be just as good.
I was shocked when 48 Hours did a piece on Marilyn’s death and interviewed Carmen. Slatzer is another one. I do not believe their stories. ABC even did a movie of the week based on his story. I also with luck taped another ABC movie about Marilyn back in the 80’s when it was rerun in Chicago.
I did the math when which is why I ordered the box set from Amazon. I just hope I receive it by next weekend. I do get my orders during the week of release date. I still may buy that single copy at B&N. I cannot understand why they charge almost twice the price on their books video etc. BB could not even tell me if they would have 7 in the store.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/60#post_3955246
The validity it that you buy the box, divide by 5 which is cheaper than buying them individually and then sell off the ones you already have thereby saving even MORE money. That's what I did.
Mercy. This all started when we wished there were other titles in the box set besides the ones that already released. Sure I was gripping and so were others. Sure you can buy the box and sell of the ones you have, which is what I am doing (Amazon sent me a message today saying it shipped). But I was responding to a post that said I should buy them individually and quit griping about the ones that have already been released. I was just pointing out that it is cheaper to buy the collection than the five titles I don't have in Blu so his post did not make any sense.

It would have been better if the two MGM titles were replaced with other titles not yet released or just leave them out and reduce the price of the collection. But that is not the way it is, but there is no harm in wishing it wasn't.

And yes I realize that ALL ABOUT EVE is not a Monroe title and it is a Davis title. I was making a joke that if there is a Volume 2, Fox might just put it in since they already have a transfer of it. Gezz, I think we need to take a deep breath.

Edit: 7/29/12

I noticed that the Marylin Monroe Premiere DVD Collection, that is due Tuesday also, contains 17 films. They are:

15 of Monroe's Fox films, plus 15 Fox films plus 2 from MGM/UA: All About Eve, As Young As You Feel, Lets Make It Legal, Love Nest, Don't Bother To Knock, Monkey Business, O. Henry's Full House, We're Not Married, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How To Marry A Millionaire, Niagara, There's No Business Like Show Business, The Seven Year Itch, Bus Stop, Some Like It Hot, Let's Make Love, The Misfits.

Since Fox does consider it a Monroe film there is a possibility that ALL ABOUT EVE could be in the next Monroe Blu Volume

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Mark-P said:
Hey, as long as a second box arrives at some point, I'll have no complaints. However I don't think it's a given that a second box will be released on blu-ray.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Australian set referred to is reviewed as Volume 1. I have the US set on order which is what I usually do and ordered the Hitchcock Universal from the UK for its better price and less a film I have already on Blu.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
moviepas said:
The Australian set referred to is reviewed as Volume 1.
I don't understand what you mean by this. The Australian set is identical to the US set in most respects except a few packaging differences, and includes all 7 movies. There is no reference on either set to "Volume 1", they are simply called Forever Marilyn: The Blu-ray Collection. There's no indication anywhere on or inside the set that this is the first volume in a series, nor any hint that Fox will release another set at any point in the future. Indeed there's an implication that this is "the" blu-ray collection for Marilyn Monroe, which is why I think some of us are lamenting that at least a couple more favorites weren't added. Who knows if or when more Marilyn movies will be released on blu. The fact that it took 6 years after the introduction of blu-ray to finally get this set is in itself a poor omen.
Perhaps you're thinking of the cut-down UK set which has only 4 of the movies, not 7. However it too doesn't refer to Volume 1, and is simply called Forever Marilyn: The 4 Film Collection.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ahollis said:
I noticed that the Marylin Monroe Premiere DVD Collection, that is due Tuesday also, contains 17 films.  They are:
15 of Monroe's Fox films, plus 15 Fox films plus 2 from MGM/UA: All About Eve, As Young As You Feel, Lets Make It Legal, Love Nest, Don't Bother To Knock, Monkey Business, O. Henry's Full House, We're Not Married, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How To Marry A Millionaire, Niagara, There's No Business Like Show Business, The Seven Year Itch, Bus Stop, Some Like It Hot, Let's Make Love, The Misfits.
Since Fox does consider it a Monroe film there is a possibility that ALL ABOUT EVE could be in the next Monroe Blu Volume :)
Even more strange is that River of No Return was not included in that same set. Did it slip through the cracks?
Also one Fox film that includes Marilyn Monroe is Dangerous Years, yet never seems to be exploited for these sets like some of the included romantic comedies of which she briefly appears. She gets a surprising amount of focus in that film given her very small role, even getting multiple lines and appearances. The same goes for A Ticket to Tomahawk. I guess Fox didn't want to include too many "Marilyn Monroe films" in which she actually played bit roles when making the earlier Diamond Collections.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
You're absolutely right Koroush -- I too am in Australia and have the same bluray set you speak of (and loving every second of it, but sad there aren't more extras) -- weird setup for the UK release, can't figure it out.
Also the set is released at JB HiFi for AU$60.00 (for 7 movies) which, to me, is one of the great value sets of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks