What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A slight comedy of manners pitting two of the cinema’s biggest stars of the era, Marilyn Monroe and Laurence Olivier, in a romantic intrigue in which everyone wins and everyone loses, The Prince and the Showgirl is not among the more memorable films for either of the two luminaries.

The Prince and the Showgirl (1957)

Released: 13 Jun 1957
Rated: PG
Runtime: 115 min

Director: Laurence Olivier
Genre: Comedy, Romance

Cast: Marilyn Monroe, Laurence Olivier, Richard Wattis
Writer(s): Terence Rattigan

Plot: An American showgirl becomes entangled in political intrigue when the Prince Regent of a foreign country attempts to seduce her.

IMDB rating: 6.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Great review, Matt! I have to admit that I didn't much care for this film the one and only time I watched it from beginning to end, but nevertheless my copy is winging its way to me now, and I'm looking forward to giving it another shot. I'm sure the beautiful presentation will enhance my enjoyment of it quite a bit.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Finally, one of my most requested titles ever. I will finally be able to see it in OAR for the very first time. Marilyn was my childhood idol so she's very precious to me :wub: Thank you WAC for making this another A+ release!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Why would Amazon raise the price on this to 24.99?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Right now, you can purchase this Blu-ray from Amazon for $14.99.
Thank you Robert. I ordered it yesterday and it just arrived- what a bargain. It’s frequently shown on both PBS here in NY and TCM and it’s never looked like this- absolutely stunning in every way. As noted in the reviews this is a revelatory presentation and gorgeous in colors, details and framing. I hate so use the cliché but this is definitely like seeing it for the first time. Her entrance inside the embassy looks almost 3D!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This afternoon, I only watched it for a few minutes, but it looks like TCM showed the movie derived from the new 4K scan.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The TCM - HD version on my PVR from this afternoon is the open-matte version ( looking very nice but not in the correct 1:85 aspect ratio.)
You're right, I don't know what I was thinking when I made that post. I was channel surfing at that time and didn't pay any attention to the aspect ratio. I have the Blu-ray with the correct OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks