What's new

Marilyn Monroe on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
I just received the UK version of the Forever Marilyn set and it is indeed Region-Free!
I know there were many who were leery of buying this set since it was not compatible with US players.
Unlike the US set, this one only has 4 titles:
How to Marry a Millionaire
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Seven Year Itch
Some Like it Hot
This set is priced much lower than the US version which has 7 titles.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thank you for the heads up on The Seven Year Itch going for under 9 bucks. I just put a hold at Barnes & Nobel for it for 25 bucks! One copy will be their in the store at 9 AM. Now I am in a quandry as what to do. I want it hear before Saturday. I should have just ordered the Box Set with extra shipping cost from Amazon. I can keep it there for 3 days they told me with out purchase. I look forward to my box set coming. The thing might be here by Thursday. I ordered the box set when it was up for pre order. Well thank you again to the person who reported the price at Amazon for a single copy. I am not selling my extra copy of Some Like It Hot or the Misfits just to much trouble and I have double dipped before.

RCinOttawa

Agent
Real Name
RC
There is an extensive column at Bluray.com on "How to Marry a Millionaire", with lots of graphic. Really interesting!
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9180

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark Collins said:
Thank you for the heads up on The Seven Year Itch going for under 9 bucks. I just put a hold at Barnes & Nobel for it for 25 bucks! One copy will be their in the store at 9 AM. Now I am in a quandry as what to do. I want it hear before Saturday. I should have just ordered the Box Set with extra shipping cost from Amazon. I can keep it there for 3 days they told me with out purchase. I look forward to my box set coming. The thing might be here by Thursday. I ordered the box set when it was up for pre order. Well thank you again to the person who reported the price at Amazon for a single copy. I am not selling my extra copy of Some Like It Hot or the Misfits just to much trouble and I have double dipped before.
And if you still want all the movies now for less than the boxset particularly after the putrid reviews of the actual DVD case masquerading as the US boxset-- Walmarts have the 5 new Blurays for 9.96 and some Costco have 4 of them for 9.99 (missing is River of no Return).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
bluirv said:
I just received the UK version of the Forever Marilyn set and it is indeed Region-Free!
I know there were many who were leery of buying this set since it was not compatible with US players.
Unlike the US set, this one only has 4 titles:
How to Marry a Millionaire
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Seven Year Itch
Some Like it Hot
This set is priced much lower than the US version which has 7 titles.
What's the packaging like?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy Birthday Marilyn!!! 88 years old today. I hope in 2016 we will have all of her films on blu-ray. I am still waiting for the Rock Hudson tribute put out by Fox after her death in 1962 called Marilyn 1963. I hope it comes out from Archives or restored. I did ask around and Fox holds on to all of Marilyn and will not lease her out to another company.

So today I will celebrate Marilyn's birthday with some of her films ending with the restored and edited together scenes as best they could Something's Got to Give.

Fox did it a very nice job on the film. I would love to see it in blu-ray which I think should be easy since they restored all the filmed scenes of the movie. I would also like all the out takes which we have seen with it. I also have the VHS copy Fox put out in the 90s of just a collection of scenes from the movie but not restored.

I celebrated Marilyn's birthday as a special guest at Planet Hollywood in Chicago in 1995 with the release of her stamp.

I shall never forget the honor of being invited on this special guest list to get a first look at the stamp.

So today I devote my time to my first love Marilyn Monroe.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would certainly hope that Fox soon gives us their remaining Monroe films perhaps in another Blu-ray set and hopefully budget priced since they aren't the prime titles which are already out. (Well, some consider Let's Make Love a prime title since it was made when she was a star, but frankly I'd rather have Marilyn 1963 or Don't Bother to Knock, Monkey Business, or We're Not Married.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well I started my MM collection with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Some Like It Hot. Just watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and while of course MM was a total knockout, I was really taken with Jane Russell (God Bless Her Soul as she left us last year I believe).

Funny this is though I thought I got a decent deal on Amazon fro these two titles but saw someone mention that MM blus were going for 9.95 at Wal-mart (though I have yet to see any. Have seen DVDs for $5). If anyone hears of such, let me know which Wal-Mart. Come to think of it, Wal-Mart's Blu selection has been looking a little depleted lately while a Target I recently checked out (Merritt Island, FL) seems to have a neater, more full selection of catalog title blus, though nothing like on Amazon.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy Birthday Marilyn! Today I not only celebrate your birthday but the 20th anniversary of the release of your stamp. Just as I described last year it was a day I shall never forget. I still have the Happy Birthday button I wore with the stamp on it and other things that the post office was selling that day. I also remember how they canceled the stamps for us.

Was also the first time I ever made it on Chicago news. Channel 7 I believe was covering the event as a puff piece for the evening news.

I still hold out the hope that Fox will release more Monroe films to Blu-ray.

Marilyn I fell in love with you as a kid watching your films on WGN. You were and still are my favorite actress as my family and all my friends know.

They can find all the actors in the world to try and copy you in mini series and movies but there is only one Marilyn.

The real Marilyn Monroe is the girl I want to see.

Fox spring Marilyn from the vault please! I asked Twilight Time if they could release Monroe films. The answer was very quick. Fox would not release her films to them.

So Fox make us Marilyn fans happy and give us more Marilyn.

Mark

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I forgot to mention the one Birthday wish I have this year for Marilyn

I would love to see her back on the big screen. I have never seen Marilyn on the big screen. TCM is doing so much with old films going to the big screen.

What a treat if they would partner with Fox and put the Seven Year Itch on the big screen for two days as they have been doing with other films.

I just want to see her the way my parents and other folk of her era.

I can only dream I guess.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I remember seeing "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" on NBC Saturday Night At The Movies as a child and loved her after that! Then a few years later On ABC Sunday Night Movie "Some Like It Hot".

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think perhaps Kino Lorber may now be in the position to fill some holes in the Marilyn Blu-ray filmography.

Good to know! I hope more blu Ray releases are in the works. I've picked up all of her titles on blu Ray.
Don't bother to knock is in HD on Netflix as well.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Marilyn is the only actor/actress that still makes my heart beat faster everytime I see her:wub:.

I need this on Blu-Ray:

1. The Prince and the Showgirl
2. Don't Bother to Knock
3. New HD master of "Gentlemen prefer Blondes" without DNR!
4. Monkey Business
5. Let's make Love
6. The Asphalt Jungle
7. Something's Got to Give EDIT
8. Non-teal version of "The River of no Return"
9. Clash By Night

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks