What's new

Marilyn Monroe on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Good news to get more confirmation that Some Like It Hot will not be double-dipped
Persianimmortal said:
It's also a shame that Marilyn's lesser known films like Niagara aren't slated for release on BD as yet. I think her performance in that movie would really convince those who think of Marilyn as only playing the dumb harmless blonde to rethink their assessment. It's an underrated movie in my opinion.
I have a feeling those in the set were chosen because they were in Technicolor, along with being the more widely recognized films. Though it is strange that Niagra wasn't included because it was in the big "Special Anniversary Collection."

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Of course as an extra they should have put that Scudda Hay film which is color and I have never seen this and assume her part is minimal but.... I do have a nice color clip in a documentary.

I do remember what was doing and where when on a Saturday morning in my country a special edition of the morning paper was brought into my uncle's house around 9am that JFK had been assassinated. But I also remember bringing the same paper in from the front garden of our house on the Monday morning it was reported on the front page MM had been found dead. That paper now belongs to Fox's owner today having been run by his dad for many years before a premature death in the early 1950s. Son bought it later in a huge stock fight with another stock raider called Robert Holmes a Court, a Sth African who left us at 55.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Should be up for preorder in the next few days, no pricing info yet.

FALL IN LOVE ALL OVER AGAIN WITH THE
LEGENDARY BEAUTY

472af767_image003_jpg_01CD3FDC_6B5A08B0.jpeg

Featuring Seven Classic Films, Marilyn is Flawless in
This One-of-a Kind Premium Blu-ray Collection Available in July

Celebrate the life, the legend and the beauty of Marilyn Monroe. The iconic blonde bombshell shines in high definition in FOREVER MARILYN: THE BLU-RAY COLLECTION. With classics like The Misfits and Some Like It Hot as well as new-to-Blu-ray titles How to Marry A Millionaire, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Seven Year Itch, There’s No Business Like Show Business and River of No Return this unique set of films, those that made Marilyn a star, is a collector’s dream. Marking the 50th anniversary of the passing of this Hollywood legend, the seven disc collection will be available as a Blu-ray set and individual titles beginning July 20th Internationally (Germany) and on July 31st in North America from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Starting today (June 1st), Marilyn fans around the world can pre-order the Collection with online retailers.

The Misfits
A sexy divorcée falls for an over-the-hill cowboy who is struggling to maintain his romantically independent lifestyle in early-sixties Nevada.

Some Like It Hot
When two musicians witness a mob hit, they flee the state in an all-female band disguised as women, but further complications set in.

How to Marry A Millionaire
Three women set out to find eligible millionaires to marry, but find true love in the process.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Two singers, best friends Lorelei Lee and Dorothy Shaw travel to Paris pursued by a private detective hired by Lorelei's fiancé's disapproving father to keep an eye on her, a rich, enamoured old man and many other doting admirers.

Seven Year Itch
When his family goes away for the summer, a so far faithful husband is tempted by a beautiful neighbor

There’s No Business Like Show Business
Molly and Terry Donahue, plus their three children, are The Five Donahues. Son Tim meets hat-check girl Vicky and the family act begins to fall apart.

River of No Return
A frontier farmer takes off with his son and a saloon singer after the man who stole his rifle and his horse.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/30#post_3932733
Should be up for preorder in the next few days, no pricing info yet.

FALL IN LOVE ALL OVER AGAIN WITH THE
LEGENDARY BEAUTY

472af767_image003_jpg_01CD3FDC_6B5A08B0.jpeg

Featuring Seven Classic Films, Marilyn is Flawless in
This One-of-a Kind Premium Blu-ray Collection Available in July

Celebrate the life, the legend and the beauty of Marilyn Monroe. The iconic blonde bombshell shines in high definition in FOREVER MARILYN: THE BLU-RAY COLLECTION. With classics like The Misfits and Some Like It Hot as well as new-to-Blu-ray titles How to Marry A Millionaire, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Seven Year Itch, There’s No Business Like Show Business and River of No Return this unique set of films, those that made Marilyn a star, is a collector’s dream. Marking the 50th anniversary of the passing of this Hollywood legend, the seven disc collection will be available as a Blu-ray set and individual titles beginning July 20th Internationally (Germany) and on July 31st in North America from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Starting today (June 1st), Marilyn fans around the world can pre-order the Collection with online retailers.

The Misfits
A sexy divorcée falls for an over-the-hill cowboy who is struggling to maintain his romantically independent lifestyle in early-sixties Nevada.

Some Like It Hot
When two musicians witness a mob hit, they flee the state in an all-female band disguised as women, but further complications set in.

How to Marry A Millionaire
Three women set out to find eligible millionaires to marry, but find true love in the process.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Two singers, best friends Lorelei Lee and Dorothy Shaw travel to Paris pursued by a private detective hired by Lorelei's fiancé's disapproving father to keep an eye on her, a rich, enamoured old man and many other doting admirers.

Seven Year Itch
When his family goes away for the summer, a so far faithful husband is tempted by a beautiful neighbor

There’s No Business Like Show Business
Molly and Terry Donahue, plus their three children, are The Five Donahues. Son Tim meets hat-check girl Vicky and the family act begins to fall apart.

River of No Return
A frontier farmer takes off with his son and a saloon singer after the man who stole his rifle and his horse.
I verified pricing. It also looks like the titles will be available individually:
The BD set MSRP is $99.99 and DVD is $69.98.

BD singles are $24.99 and DVD singles are $14.98.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Any chance The Misfits will include 2002's PBS documentary "Making The Misfits" that's on DVD by Image Entertainment? Or will it (and Some Like It Hot) be the same disc released last year, only with new disc art to match the new titles?

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Makes me glad I held off on buying the Misfits and Some Like It Hot. I was sure (OK maybe not quite sure) that a boxed blu-ray set would eventually be released. Now fingers crossed that the set is region free or available in Region B for me :)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I guess if one wants the boxset Blu Ray duplications have to be. Nothing has changed in the business whether it be records, cds, laserdiscs or blu ray. I will order set. I, too, want the Making of the Misfits. I missed this too back when it was available.

The July 20 release date in Germany is interesting. This is the date in 1944 when a major attempt was made on Hitler's life outside Germany. He was injured, but, otherwise carried on a number of months before his final demise. Many died after that July Plot.

Hopefully there will soon be a second set of the remaining titles is soon forthcoming.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"The seven disc collection will be available as a Blu-ray set and individual titles beginning July 20th Internationally (Germany) and on July 31st in North America from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. " That would indicate single releases, no?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /t/307490/marilyn-monroe-on-blu-ray/30#post_3933672
"The seven disc collection will be available as a Blu-ray set and individual titles beginning July 20th Internationally (Germany) and on July 31st in North America from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. " That would indicate single releases, no?
Yes. BD singles are $24.99 and DVD singles are $14.98.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thanks for the heads up Adam, the beauty is the much malined Walmart is really good at stocking a lot of MGM/Fox catalog titles release week or a week later, which i more than i can say for the local BB so i can pick up a few at a time, since i jumped and already have Some Like It Hot and the Misfits. I just hope this does well enough that there will be a second set, as others have already stated Niraga and Bus Stop and while not specificaly a MM film i do love her turn in O'Henry's Full House

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well we are less than a week away from having the Seven Year Itch in blu-ray. I have ordered the double dip from Amazon. I asked BB if they would carry 7 single in the store the response was no. I then asked B&N yes 1 copy they stated. I sort of want to run out and buy it. I have waited so long for this movie and all the others. Some of which have just been released again on dvd. Why Fox did this I have no idea. Niagara would have looked great. I also wanted Somethings Got to Give in blu-ray with perhaps some more out takes. I love how Fox restored the movie with what they had.
August 4th and 5th have all kinds of things about Marilyn on TV. PBS is running a bunch of programs about Marilyn. TCM will honor her for the first time on August 4th. I have noticed a great deal of FOX films now showing on TCM. The Fox movie channel just does not give all the great movies any more.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Collins said:
I have noticed a great deal of FOX films now showing on TCM. The Fox movie channel just does not give all the great movies any more.
Back when AMC showed actual MOVIES (and not wishfully nostalgic Emmy-winning drama series), AMC used to be the "Fox equivalent" of TCM, for all the studios Turner/Warner didn't own--
Used to tune in for their "Backstory" series on Seven Year Itch, Cleopatra, French Connection and The Omen; one of the best film-history documentaries on the air.
Another casualty we lost to the Original Programming Plague, and the Death of Broadcast Cable. :(
I also wanted Somethings Got to Give in blu-ray with perhaps some more out takes. I love how Fox restored the movie with what they had..
It's a great experiment (and also saw it on AMC, back when they were still the All-Bonus-Extras channel), but seeing as we eventually got the movie with Doris Day anyway, it's not like a "lost" treasure, and only pretty much emphasizes that Marilyn was horribly miscast in about 80% of her movies.
Although the opening trial scene does prove that John McGiver was one of the funniest actors working in late 50's/early 60's movies.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark Collins said:
Watched " Lets Make Love' tonight and forgot how good Marilyn was in the film.
It's an underrated movie and Marilyn shows that being a bit overweight can be very, very sexy. At least when you're made-up and photographed by top Hollywood professionals!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks