What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (2 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jeff Willis said:
I hope that the S1 format (with Mannix a member of that "Intertect" company and not yet an independent PI with "Peggy" added to the cast) will not persuade any future buyers of S2-x to pass on this release.
It's interesting you mention this, Jeff, since in my case it's the first season of MANNIX that I want the most. I'll be coming to this as a virtual blind buy, as it was never syndicated in my area when I was growing up in the 70s and early 80s...but it's that first season, with Intertect, that's always caught my eye.
It was the same thing with MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, season 1. It was always the rarely-seen Steven Hill years I most wanted to catch up with. Not that there's anything wrong with the Peter Graves era, of course. It just seems like the format hadn't become too ossified in that first season, with room for the occasional guest star to be added to the usual IMF team.
Sometimes shows take more than a season to get their legs creatively; sometimes (many times, I'd argue) the best, freshest work is done in that first season, when the show is lean and hungry.
P.S. Isn't the first season of MANNIX the one where Connors communicates with a sexy-voiced, leggy secretary whose face we never see, supposedly voiced by an unbilled Mary Tyler Moore? Or am I thinking of another series?

S

silverking

No Jeff, the series you are confusing it with is Richard Diamond, Private Detective which starred David Janssen & was from the late 50s early 60's.

In itself another series I would like to see surface though I understand the 'rights' are split.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The review DVD has arrived and CBS did a great job. There's an interview with mike and joe where they talk about how season 1 was never rerun. Mike also talks about how banged up he got on the pilot shoot. They also have plenty of old promos and other goodies. you might want to hide the children when Marty Allen arrives on the Mike Douglas bonus feature

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Flugel said:
Sometimes shows take more than a season to get their legs creatively; sometimes (many times, I'd argue) the best, freshest work is done in that first season, when the show is lean and hungry.
This is very perceptive, Jeff, something I have also contended for many years, though it mostly applies to dramas and not sitcoms. There is something very exciting in the first season of a drama where they are still experimenting with form and character. For as many times as they may stumble there are innovations and inventions as a formula begins to take shape that are often wondrously original and compelling.
Sitcoms on the other hand are often just too clumsy in their first season, actors struggling to inhabit new untested characters and writers fumbling with adapting tried and true ideas with an eye on transcending them, yet not savvy enough to see where the chemistry will go. For example, the first seasons of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW are barely watchable compared with the rest of the series' run.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
for those curious, the Neil Diamond performances on "The Many Deaths of St. Christopher" are intact.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Professor Echo said:
Sitcoms on the other hand are often just too clumsy in their first season, actors struggling to inhabit new untested characters and writers fumbling with adapting tried and true ideas with an eye on transcending them, yet not savvy enough to see where the chemistry will go. For example, the first seasons of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW are barely watchable compared with the rest of the series' run.
That's an interesting point, and I agree. I wonder if it's affected people's perceptions of what used to be their favorite shows. They see season 1, and are let down, then they think the show was always that bad, and don't buy subsequent seasons. It's really unfair, but I think this may be why some sitcoms fall flat in DVD sales.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Add Odd Couple to that list as well. Much different show staring in the second season. Also, Happy Days, while many of us consider the first 2 seasons the best, the show didn't take off in popularity until season 3 when it became "The Fonzie Show". Also the first season of Barney Miller spent as much time on his home life as the police station which was altered when the show came back for the second season.

As to Mannix, I enjoyed the first season more than I did the others. I've had many of those episodes on tape for years and to me anyway it was a better format. Apparently I'm in the minority on this but that's okay, I'm just glad to be getting the show from the beginning.

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I stumbled upon the Mannix season 1 DVD set this Saturday at a local video store that's notorious for selling discs before their official release dates. Needless to say, I snatched it up.

I've only watched a few episodes so far, but the prints are gorgeous and pristine, and appear to be uncut. It's a fun show -- the pilot really moves fast and, contrary to what reviewers have said elsewhere, is tense and thoroughly engrossing; the cinematography and sound design are feature-film worthy. Looking forward to the rest of the season and, hopefully, seasons 2 and up.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
exliontamer said:
It's a fun show -- the pilot really moves fast and, contrary to what reviewers have said elsewhere, is tense and thoroughly engrossing; the cinematography and sound design are feature-film worthy. Looking forward to the rest of the season and, hopefully, seasons 2 and up.
Don't know if it's public domain or not, but the "Mannix" pilot ("The Name is Mannix") earlier appeared on a collection of various TV episodes from Diamond Entertainment titled "T.V.'s Lost Shows" and, I agree, it's a great start for the series (and much of "Mannix's" opening title sequence comes from snippets of this episode). I believe that the aerial sequence on the Palms Springs, CA Tramway was among the earliest appearances of the tramway in television or film. I'm looking forward to this set and the improved visuals.

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Bob Hug said:
I believe that the aerial sequence on the Palms Springs, CA Tramway was among the earliest appearances of the tramway in television or film.
Could well be. I can't remember whether the I Spy episodes shot in Palm Springs featured the tramway or not. If memory serves, Robinson and Scott just lurk around the restaurant at the foot of the mountain. Regardless, the aerial scenes in "The Name Is Mannix" are breathtaking.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
exliontamer said:
episodes shot in Palm Springs featured the tramway or not. If memory serves, Robinson and Scott just lurk around the restaurant at the foot of the mountain. Regardless, the aerial scenes in "The Name Is Mannix" are breathtaking.
The tramway sequence in the I Spy episode was pretty extensive, with Kelly Robinson riding on top of the tramway on it's way up. I remember wondering how they shot it without a double. But I don't recall the name of the episode offhand. I just saw it a few weeks ago.

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Hollywoodaholic said:
episode was pretty extensive, with Kelly Robinson riding on top of the tramway on it's way up.
That's right! I can't believe I forgot. I'll have to rewatch that episode having seen the Mannix pilot. Sure makes me wish Image had restored I Spy for their recent season-set releases...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Just picked up MANNIX.
It looks like another sterling effort from CBS-Paramount! The colors are just eye-popping, the way a series designed in the early days of color TV should be!
Harry

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Yeah Im not surprised the Mission Impossible and Hawaii Five-0 are also excellent, when I find a used copy of mannix at Interact in pasadena it a sure buy. Im interested to see how good the Canon set comes out too.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Halfway thru the second episode. Colors are absolutely amazing. Stories are also excellent.

I had forgotten how cool Mannix was. Love reliving my childhood Saturday night excitement.

Doug

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Joe, for some reason the web page hosting your interviews won't scroll down past the paragraph that starts "A lot of actors talk about...". Weird
Anway the article until that part is very well done; thank you! Did Mr. Connors offer any insight as to if he's been clued into what the plans are for subsequent seasons?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Steve...O said:
Joe, for some reason the web page hosting your interviews won't scroll down past the paragraph that starts "A lot of actors talk about...". Weird
Anway the article until that part is very well done; thank you! Did Mr. Connors offer any insight as to if he's been clued into what the plans are for subsequent seasons?
he didn't quite know. But I noticed Paramount has transfered the first three seasons to HiDef. That's always a good sign to something coming out before Christmas.
You might want to check the link later. I think the site is being overwhelmed by folks with the teaser trailer for Kevin Smith's new movie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks