What's new

Another Ben Casey Request (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The season one release, both volumes, looks good enough for me, as witnessed by my screen caps...
View attachment 118688
View attachment 118689
View attachment 118704
View attachment 118690
View attachment 118702
View attachment 118691
View attachment 118692
View attachment 118693
View attachment 118694
View attachment 118695
View attachment 118696
View attachment 118697
View attachment 118698
View attachment 118699
View attachment 118705
View attachment 118700
View attachment 118707
View attachment 118708
View attachment 118709
View attachment 118710

One of the truly great 1960s B+W TV dramas...it would be nice if we had the rest of the series at hand...but B+W TV drama has always been the most neglected genre, and the hardest sell...
Pretty decent captures. Some are a little dark, but overall look quite good to me,

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
timk1041,

This DVD release of Ben Casey reminds me of the Adventures Of Superman DVD release that Warner Brothers did. No restoration efforts made, just producing a DVD set from tape transfers made in the 1980s. A quick buck effort.
As I stated many times before, I’ll take Ben Casey unrestored as long as its unedited much like the Superman release was.
Like the Superman DVD set, the Ben Casey transfers aren’t bad, but could be much better.

John

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This DVD release of Ben Casey reminds me of the Adventures Of Superman DVD release that Warner Brothers did. No restoration efforts made, just producing a DVD set from tape transfers made in the 1980s. A quick buck effort.

Like M Squad was from Timeless, where some people contributed copies of the episodes from their personal collections, and Timeless put it together from there?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Like M Squad was from Timeless, where some people contributed copies of the episodes from their personal collections, and Timeless put it together from there?

The whole TIMELESS situation is simple - Universal wanted too much money to go back into the vaults to make new prints of shows with limited sales.

So TIMELESS came up with the perfect solution - track down as many episodes from 16mm as possible from collectors and film dealer - and I personally know one 16mm film dealer in New England who sold 100's episodes "rescued" from the "bonded vaults" in the late 1980's. (That is a story in itself!)

So many of the 16mm prints you see on the TIMELESS sets for M-SQUAD, CHECKMATE, ARREST & TRIAL, RIVERBOAT, along with most of the SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE, COronado-9 and STATE TROOPER came from this one source.

Yes, some of the episodes still had to be "filled in" with VHS tape transfers to be "complete", but that was the exception (except in one case) than the rule.

I think it was only LARIME that was mostly sourced the first time around from tape transfers until Universal got a cable sale and stuck up new prints. WAGON TRAIN, LARADO and THE VIRGINIAN were all from Studio transfers as they continued to be sold to television. THE MEN FROM SHILO came from studio transferred 16mm elements for some reason.

Due to rights issues, they couldn't do MARHAM or JOHNNY MIDNIGHT - but had access to almost complete runs on 16mm, same with CHANNING.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The whole TIMELESS situation is simple - Universal wanted too much money to go back into the vaults to make new prints of shows with limited sales.

So TIMELESS came up with the perfect solution - track down as many episodes from 16mm as possible from collectors and film dealer - and I personally know one 16mm film dealer in New England who sold 100's episodes "rescued" from the "bonded vaults" in the late 1980's. (That is a story in itself!)

So many of the 16mm prints you see on the TIMELESS sets for M-SQUAD, CHECKMATE, ARREST & TRIAL, RIVERBOAT, along with most of the SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE came from this one source.
While the video quality is a mix bag. I do appreciate the effort and resourcefulness of Timeless back in the day. Otherwise, I never would have had the opportunity to experience these titles.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
timk1041,

As I stated many times before, I’ll take Ben Casey unrestored as long as its unedited much like the Superman release was.
Like the Superman DVD set, the Ben Casey transfers aren’t bad, but could be much better.

John
I agree. It is better to have it in at least decent shape than not having it at all. If it is unedited and looks like Superman, it is still worth having. The pictures shown are pretty good actually.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

They were very creative to that end-- if they didn't have such creativity and dedication then, a lot of great shows from way-back-when would be lost to time.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan

So many of the 16mm prints you see on the TIMELESS sets for M-SQUAD, CHECKMATE, ARREST & TRIAL, RIVERBOAT, along with most of the SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE, COronado-9 and STATE TROOPER came from this one source.

Yes, some of the episodes still had to be "filled in" with VHS tape transfers to be "complete", but that was the exception (except in one case) than the rule.

I think it was only LARIME that was mostly sourced the first time around from tape transfers until Universal got a cable sale and stuck up new prints. WAGON TRAIN, LARADO and THE VIRGINIAN were all from Studio transfers as they continued to be sold to television. THE MEN FROM SHILO came from studio transferred 16mm elements for some reason.

Due to rights issues, they couldn't do MARHAM or JOHNNY MIDNIGHT - but had access to almost complete runs on 16mm, same with CHANNING.
I wish someone would release Channing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks