What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (2 Viewers)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
We now have RTN in the Raleigh, NC area. I saw a short clip of Cannon and I could tell it was time compressed.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
good to see the Washington Post is giving profile to Mannix. If you do have a Retro TV Network in your area, you should drop them an email to ask about getting Mannix.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Well I've never seen it but I'll get it definately, if it's anything like other 60's-70's shows it'll be great

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Thanks for that Post link. It's interesting to see that article in a major paper. That sort of tells me that the TV/DVD mkt is not "forgotten" exepting us here :)
Hank, I sure hope you're right. I've been waiting for this one a long time.
Nick, the rest of us "Mannix" fans are envious of blind-buyers :) You'll like this show.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hank Dearborn said:
Let's hope they do full season sets and then put them on a frequent release schedule like Hawaii Five-0.
No offense to MANNIX fans, but how the heck does Paramount think this show warrants a full season release while THE FUGITIVE, PERRY MASON and RAWHIDE continue to see split seasons? I'm convinced at this point that there's some weird little wheel the execs just spin to see which new shows get full season releases and which ones get split season releases. It sure can't be based on which shows are higher profile, that much is obvious.
Gary "again, no rain intended for you MANNIX fans - I just don't get Paramount's thinking at all" O.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Gary OS said:
No offense to MANNIX fans, but how the heck does Paramount think this show warrants a full season release while THE FUGITIVE, PERRY MASON and RAWHIDE continue to see split seasons? I'm convinced at this point that there's some weird little wheel the execs just spin to see which new shows get full season releases and which ones get split season releases. It sure can't be based on which shows are higher profile, that much is obvious.
Gary "again, no rain intended for you MANNIX fans - I just don't get Paramount's thinking at all" O.
Well, one thing for sure is that if it's black and white it's guaranteed to be split, i.e., Fugitive, Perry Mason, Untouchables, Rawhide but then that doesn't account for Streets of San Francisco, Mod Squad and Love American Style. I don't know but the alternative is to get nothing like the other studios give us so I can't complain.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Dave Scarpa said:
I agree Paramount is tops at starting series but will they finish them. So Do I commit to buying Mannix S1, or will that get abandanded like Have Gun Will travel?
Yes this is one show I have to disagree on paramount did a very so so C- job on Have Gun Will Travel s2, the video is so grainy that night scenes are almost impossible to watch , which leaves my very reluctant to by S3. That been said, if paramount does nice job on Mannix like they done on Hawaii Five-0, Mission Impossible and WWW it will be on my Buy it new list to show support for futher season releases.:)

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Hank Dearborn said:
Well, one thing for sure is that if it's black and white it's guaranteed to be split, i.e., Fugitive, Perry Mason, Untouchables, Rawhide but then that doesn't account for Streets of San Francisco, Mod Squad and Love American Style. I don't know but the alternative is to get nothing like the other studios give us so I can't complain.
Honest I could can kind of understand the 1/2 season testing the water idea, but its not that its a greed angle. Streets of SF half season new was going for low of 29.99 to high of 39.99 so etheir way there trying to make you pay double for single season, thats why I waited till the SoSf show up at my local used dvd shop and got both for the price of regular season , splits are just random acts of greed not much else. :thumbsdown:

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
First season's not b/w, AFAIK, but it's interesting that they're not splitting this one up unlike TSOSF. Some really odd choices behind what comes complete and what gets split, another late 60s show "The Wild Wild West" is complete seasons too. Maybe they've seen the light, that whole seasons is what we want.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I want to make clear I'm not raining on the MANNIX release news. I'll be buying this 1st Season set myself. But I was bound and determined to bring this point up next time a series from the 60's was released at full season speed. And it just so happened that MANNIX was the one. I'm glad for mega fans that Paramount has decided to put this one out in full season sets. But I don't understand their reasoning at all. I can't see how it's based on perceived sales, because surely the marketing guys had to know THE FUGITIVE (the very best series they had in their vaults), PERRY MASON (another one of the very best they had) and THE UNTOUCHABLES would sell decently. I just don't believe they were scared the Janssen series wouldn't sell yet they believe MANNIX will. No way does that make any sense to me. MANNIX is buy far the lesser known series when compared with THE FUGITIVE. So again I ask - what goes into Paramount's thought process on these things???
Gary "yea for MANNIX - boo for Paramount releasing anything as a split season" O.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Gary OS said:
I want to make clear I'm not raining on the MANNIX release news. I'll be buying this 1st Season set myself. But I was bound and determined to bring this point up next time a series from the 60's was released at full season speed. And it just so happened that MANNIX was the one. I'm glad for mega fans that Paramount has decided to put this one out in full season sets. But I don't understand their reasoning at all. I can't see how it's based on perceived sales, because surely the marketing guys had to know THE FUGITIVE (the very best series they had in their vaults), PERRY MASON (another one of the very best they had) and THE UNTOUCHABLES would sell decently. I just don't believe they were scared the Janssen series wouldn't sell yet they believe MANNIX will. No way does that make any sense to me. MANNIX is buy far the lesser known series when compared with THE FUGITIVE. So again I ask - what goes into Paramount's thought process on these things???
Gary "yea for MANNIX - boo for Paramount releasing anything as a split season" O.
Gary, you and I both know that The Fugitive and The Untouchables are far more popular and will sell much better than Mannix. Who knows what goes into their decision making process. I would say that maybe shows of a shorter run they want to spread out, but then what about Perry Mason and Gunsmoke? Or that it's a black and white issue but then what about Love American Style and Mod Squad. I think what it might come down to is that the people who are making the releasing decisions are in their thirties and they really have no idea of which shows are more popular than others. Just like why did it take so long for someone to release Man from UNCLE? Anyone alive in the 60s knows how much of a phenomenon that show was. But I don't think too many people in the decision making process were alive in the 60s.
I'm glad Mannix is coming and hopefully it does well but the show has fared poorly since leaving the network. Here in NY it reran one summer for about 2 months and never since. It's not a bad show but it's such a formula show. If you've seen one Mannix you've seen them all.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hank Dearborn said:
Gary, you and I both know that The Fugitive and The Untouchables are far more popular and will sell much better than Mannix... I think what it might come down to is that the people who are making the releasing decisions are in their thirties and they really have no idea of which shows are more popular than others.
You know what, Hank, I'm convinced of that. Until someone can prove to me conclusively that these decisions are NOT about 20 & 30 something execs making calls based on their own perceptions, I'm going to believe that's the problem. And I'm talking a basic mindset, not an age. What I mean is that you might have execs who are in their 50's making some of the decisions, but they are "Hollywood" 50 something execs, and those folks tend to forget their own roots because they are caught up in the here and now living in Tinsel Town. But I am 100% convinced these split season/full season decisions are being made by people with young people/young demographic mindsets. No doubt about that at all.
I'm also 100% convinced that the B&W issue plays a major role, but that too goes back to the problem of having younger execs (whether in body, mind or both) making these decisions. There are very, very few advocates in the industry for people like you and I. Very few.
Gary "I love Paramount for giving us all these older series but I hate the split season releases with a passion" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary said:
Gary, I'm offended :laugh: :laugh: I think you know I'm kidding. I agree 100% on the split-season thing. I've never been convinced that it's due to a cautious studio's releasing strategy. Look at the Love Boat. That one was a huge fan favorite in the 70's and Gord and/or Dave (TSoD) mentioned that they were also surprised at the split-season release of S1 V1.
Jeff "When someone here figures out the s/s patterns, we'll buy them a round-trip tkt on a real Love Boat cruise" W.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff Willis said:
Gary, I'm offended :laugh: :laugh: I think you know I'm kidding.
I know you are kidding, Jeff. And I did want to be careful in the way I worded my post because I know you and some others here are big MANNIX fans. Heck, I'm definitely in for that first set myself. But I had honestly determined that the next time a series from the 60's came out in full season form I was going to bring this point up. It just so happened that MANNIX is the one. And it is very frustrating to me because, to be honest, I think this proves beyond any doubt that Paramount is NOT doing the split-season deal based on what they think will or will not sell briskly. There's something else to this thing, but I sure can't figure it out.
Gary "enjoying RAWHIDE: Season 2, Volume 2 right now" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
after the Mannix article in the paper, they do need to have a full season for the first release - just to make sure that the folks who have been creating the buzz don't start their previews with anything but a rush of "you gotta get it." If they put out a half season, there will be much "should you" and "why did they" in the article.
Our local Retro TV Network station is looking into getting Mannix on the air in the coming year. Right now they're showing Cannon.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Gary OS said:
I'm also 100% convinced that the B&W issue plays a major role, but that too goes back to the problem of having younger execs (whether in body, mind or both) making these decisions. There are very, very few advocates in the industry for people like you and I. Very few.
I talk to some of these people all of the time, archivists, people working at the independent labels, etc. Some are knowledgeable but you would be surprised at how few are experts. I've even had conversations with some folks at the majors who I had to educate about their own shows. Another thing that never ceases to amaze me is how many people work in the industry that really don't have an interest in television shows. Not you, I, Joe, Bob Hug, Elena and a few others but take the knowledge of the typical poster here and that's about how much (or how little) the average studio person knows about vintage television. And I'm sure at Fox even less than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks