What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (1 Viewer)

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
The Chicago Tribune reprinted the Washington article yesterday, so the amount of exposure is increasing.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
JeffO said:
The Chicago Tribune reprinted the Washington article yesterday, so the amount of exposure is increasing.
did they update it to reflect the DVDs will be released this year?

cardinalmark

Agent
Real Name
Mark Collins
We all can not wait for Mannix to finally hit the selfs and soon!! I hope this series gets released quickly, with new seasons 2 to 3 times a year!!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I'm am now completely pumped about this Mannix release with word the Mike Connors is part of the DVD along with others. I've been giving my pal Brad the business about Mannix for nearly a year and this will be pure sweetness when it arrives in the mail.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Corey3rd said:
I'm am now completely pumped about this Mannix release with word the Mike Connors is part of the DVD along with others. I've been giving my pal Brad the business about Mannix for nearly a year and this will be pure sweetness when it arrives in the mail.
Agreed, Joe. This is a very attractive package that CBS/Brownstein have put together.
Another neat extra would have been episode 218 of Perry Mason which is one of the ones where Raymond Burr had a minimal role...Mike Conners took over the lead in this episode playing another Joe: Joe Kelly.
I really hope this sells well so that we can get more of Mannix. My memories of this show are rather slim since it hasn't been syndicated locally in many, many years. These DVDs will be like seeing the show for the first time again.
Steve

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I was just thinking about this and I remembered that I have an extended pilot on this show, which runs about 5 or 10 minutes longer, I don't recall which. I think it's about 60 minutes. I wonder if Paramount will be including this.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Hank Dearborn said:
I was just thinking about this and I remembered that I have an extended pilot on this show, which runs about 5 or 10 minutes longer, I don't recall which. I think it's about 60 minutes. I wonder if Paramount will be including this.
That's a good question and I don't have any information one way or the other. The information at TVShowsonDVD.com doesn't indicate that the pilot episode is the extended version.
Mannix DVD news: Extrsa for Mannix - The 1st Season | TVShowsOnDVD.com
I will say this, the pilot episode "The Name is Mannix" is a very strong start for the series. It's a good story and some of the scenes in and around the Palm Springs (CA) Tramway area are spectacular and the guest star lineup is solid: Lloyd Nolan, Kim Hunter, John Colicos, and Barbara Anderson from "Ironside."

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The CBS syndication bible page for Mannix indicates that the first three seasons have been tranferred to HD. That's a very good indicator that we should be getting multiple seasons on DVD.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Steve...O said:
The CBS syndication bible page for Mannix indicates that the first three seasons have been tranferred to HD. That's a very good indicator that we should be getting multiple seasons on DVD.
If they've done the work already, then I would say there is a good chance, provided it sells okay. I hope it does but I'm not sure it will. Since leaving the network the show has not exactly been a hot ticket item.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Steve, Thanks for the Mannix info! This is one I'm looking forward to revisiting since I liked this show watching its original run but haven't seen it at all since then. I remember years ago when it got that TVLand run but I missed it back then.

Hank, I'm wondering the same thing (sales), since it may depend on the S1 #'s and, just my memory of this one, I have much clearer and more "'Boomer/nostalgic" memories of the seasons after S1 with Dad.

I hope that the S1 format (with Mannix a member of that "Intertect" company and not yet an independent PI with "Peggy" added to the cast) will not persuade any future buyers of S2-x to pass on this release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff Willis said:
I hope that the S1 format (with Mannix a member of that "Intertect" company and not yet an independent PI with "Peggy" added to the cast) will not persuade any future buyers of S2-x to pass on this release.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Jeff. From what I can tell, CBS/Paramount has fully embraced the mantle of Vintage TVonDVD King! They know they have found a nitch, and are top dogs, in this particular market and I believe they want to keep it that way for as long as they can. If "Mannix" were being released by any other company I'd worry. But not CBS/Paramount. They will do right by the series, especially with those first 3 seasons having already been cleaned up.
Gary "now if only we'd get some news about 'My Three Sons' - then I'd be a really happy camper heading into summer" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Jeff. From what I can tell, CBS/Paramount has fully embraced the mantle of Vintage TVonDVD King! They know they have found a nitch, and are top dogs, in this particular market and I believe they want to keep it that way for as long as they can. If "Mannix" were being released by any other company I'd worry. But not CBS/Paramount. They will do right by the series, especially with those first 3 seasons having already been cleaned up.
Gary "now if only we'd get some news about 'My Three Sons' - then I'd be a really happy camper heading into summer" O.
Gary, I have to agree with you on this. To me, the first season of "Mannix" is sort of analagous to the first season of "Mission: Impossible." In the case of M:I, Paramount did release the only year with Steven Hill before Peter Graves took over and we are now up to four seasons either released or announced. Likewise with "Mannix," we'll get the Joseph Campanella/Intertech year before Mannix opens his own agency and flies solo (with Gail Fisher as his secretary Peggy). Unless season 1 really flops sales-wise (and I don't think it will), I'm sure we'll be in for multiple seasons of "Mannix."
I'm confident that CBS Paramount knows it has created a loyal following of classic/vintage TV-on-DVD fans like no other major studio has, and I believe that they'll go as far as they can with a series until a series becomes unprofitable for them to release (which, apparently, was the case with "Have Gun Will Travel").

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
And good will begets good will. I'm ordering Cannon, a show I never have really seen, because of several reasons, not the least of which is that I want to support the show and the company (Paramount) releasing the show. While the other companies cool their heels doing little or nothing, Paramount is the gold standard. Oh, and by the way, a few companies have covertly approached independents about licensing their stuff. Nothing happening yet as these things move at a glacial pace but we may finally see some movement on some things that the owners would never do themselves.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hank Dearborn said:
And good will begets good will. I'm ordering Cannon, a show I never have really seen, because of several reasons, not the least of which is that I want to support the show and the company (Paramount) releasing the show. While the other companies cool their heels doing little or nothing, Paramount is the gold standard.
Good for you, Hank. I couldn't agree more with that philosophy. CBS/Paramount is getting a ton of business from me, and some of it is definitely me buying sets I might not normally buy just to support the company. I want them to keep producing vintage TV on DVD so I'll buy something like Cannon that I might not normally buy.
Gary "and 'amen' to your last sentence - CBS/Paramount is King of classic television on dvd" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The goodwill point is a very good one. On the theatrical side Warner has created brand loyalty with regards to classic films (unfortunately their efforts w/ classic tv are a much different story). Likewise CBS/Paramount has created a very good relationship with their consumers by releasing multiple seasons of classic shows. I still don't like the split seasons and related pricing structure and I worry that they are glutting the market but this new model must be working for them else they wouldn't be releasing this way.
Mannix and Cannon are shows that I've not seen in a long time; both didn't do well in syndication but hopefully things will cycle back into their favor on home video. The Cannon page at the syndication bible hasn't been updated to reflect HD transfers so there's no indication how many episodes have been prepped for potential home video release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks