What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mama's Family and The Carol Burnett Show (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
When are going to see the rest of Mama's Family on DVD?

I know fans cried foul when the WB released the first season, as the syndicated version.

What other company could take over this series?

Is The Carol Burnett Show ever going to be released? what is the hold up of this series?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
During their web conference last spring, the Warner reps claimed they were considering more Mama's Family, but made no promises. If they do release a second season, there is little doubt it will be another barebones set with edited episodes. They won't spend the money to acquire the unedited master tapes that Joe Hamilton Productions owns, and unfortunately, Warner is also the studio least interested in licensing it's shows to independents like Shout. The prognosis for more of the show doesn't look promising.

As for the Carol Burnett Show, hasn't Columbia or some other company been releasing these exclusively through mail order for years now?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by potnoodle

They won't spend the money to acquire the unedited master tapes that Joe Hamilton Productions owns, and unfortunately, Warner is also the studio least interested in licensing it's shows to independents like Shout. The prognosis for more of the show doesn't look promising.

What I can't get is they they never held,retained or obtained UNEDITED masters? It seems to me this is just some B.S. and JHP is taking advantage of this. I don't think it's an issue to "rights" to unedited versions as much as "You need to pay us to get access the unedited master tape"

What studio (Lorimar) in the contractual right mind signs a contract with a show producer that says "The Studio gets the television and video explotation rights to the revised 22 minute version of episodes produced for Original Network or First-Run Syndication Broadcast at a longer length, and producer retains rights to unedited network version."

See what I'm getting at? Have you heard of anything this crazy?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, I've never understood how 2 different parties own two different versions of the show. Not sure I believe what they say, either. I'd like to see at least the second season of MF released but I'm not holding my breath.

The Carol Burnett Show is a whole other matter. You're never likely going to see complete season sets for several reasons. Mainly, music rights since the original eps were an hour long and filled with musical numbers. Clearing all or even most of those songs would be a nightmare and likely not financially feasible. Also, Carol has gone on record as saying she prefers the later seasons with regard to quality and she's probably right. It would be nice to see complete sets of the last 5 or so seasons when characters like Eunice & Mrs. Wiggins were so popular. Not expecting that to happen, though. I'm not sure why there haven't been sets of the syndie eps of Carol Burnett & Friends. At least that would pull together some of the best later sketches.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by DeWilson

What I can't get is they they never held,retained or obtained UNEDITED masters? It seems to me this is just some B.S. and JHP is taking advantage of this. I don't think it's an issue to "rights" to unedited versions as much as "You need to pay us to get access the unedited master tape"

What studio (Lorimar) in the contractual right mind signs a contract with a show producer that says "The Studio gets the television and video explotation rights to the revised 22 minute version of episodes produced for Original Network or First-Run Syndication Broadcast at a longer length, and producer retains rights to unedited network version."

See what I'm getting at? Have you heard of anything this crazy?

That deal apparently didn't apply to ALF, for which Lorimar acquired the international rights (by the time it was syndicated in the US, it was WB doing so) and sent unedited versions overseas which are on the German DVDs.

The truth is out there and it's not going to come from either WB or JHP. If they can't do it right, don't bother.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would like to see a release of the "Mama" related two hour special that was done featuring most of the characters from the Mama's Family sketches.

I think in the special, it dealt with Mama's death, unless I am remembering it completely wrong.

Anyone else remember this at all??

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2

I would like to see a release of the "Mama" related two hour special that was done featuring most of the characters from the Mama's Family sketches.

I think in the special, it dealt with Mama's death, unless I am remembering it completely wrong.

Anyone else remember this at all??

Yes, it was called Eunice and each act covered a specific event in Eunice's life, with the last one being Mama's death. It was the success of that special that led to the creation of Mama's Family. I'd LOVE to see that released. It was beautifully done.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yes, it's weird that the "Eunice" TV movie hasn't been released and never seems to air on TV anymore. Perhaps because the storyline ends with Mama's death and they feel it would be confusing to viewers who know Mama's Family so well.

Ken Berry appeared in the Eunice special but I believe he played Philip, the son who'd appeared on TCBS. When Mama's Family was put together he was cast in the newly created and more comedic role of Vinton. The characters of Aunt Fran, Naomi, Buzz & Sonya were also new.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Nice to know that I hadn't imagined that special!!!

It is almost never written about and I don't know that it has aired since its first airing on CBS, so it would be nice to see it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks