What's new

The Carol Burnett Show - Carols Crackups .......any more future releases with Star Vista? (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I just finished watching the recent DVD release of "The Carol Burnett Show"....."Carol's Crackups". I had initially bought the 6 DVD version thru Amazon, then I found out there was a 8 DVD exclusive version with Costco (so I ended up replacing the one I bought from Amazon for the Costco version).

I enjoyed all the shows (all uncut, btw). Some of the shows I already had (from the Columbia House DVD collection.....only 8 of the 20 shows are repeated). The only disappointment I found with this collection was there was only one "Family" sketch and no sketches of "Tuddball and Ms. Wiggins". But overall, a great collection and was happy to get 12 new shows to DVD!!!

I don't know if Star Vista is planning to release any more future collections of "The Carol Burnett Show", but I thought I start this topic out to everyone to make some suggestions what to include in the next collection (if Star Vista decides to do anymore). Here are a couple of my suggestions:

1.) There are about 9 "Family" sketches from "The Carol Burnett Show" that haven't made it to DVD. The "Family" sketches are my favorites (they were much better, in my opinion, than "Mama's Family" version (with the exception of the "Eunice" movie and the first two seasons of "Mama's Family). I would really love to see the remaining "Family" sketches on the next collection: I believe these are the missing sketches (and please correct me if I am wrong):

Season 9 Ep 1 - Ed visits A Massage Parlor (features Jim Nabors)

Season 9 Ep 14 - Mama's Sister Mae's Funeral

Season 9 Ep 20 - Eunice, Mama and Ed go to an expensive restaurant

Season 11 Ep 3 - Dan (played by Dick Van Dyke) comes to dinner, Ed has left Eunice

Season 11 Ep 4 - Mama drops in on Eunice unannounced.

Season 11 Ep 7 - The Family plays password (featuring the famous "Siamese Elephant" story from Mickey Hart (played by Tim Conway).

Season 11 Ep 12 - Eunice and Mickey try to coax Mama into a retirement home.

Season 11 Ep 24 - Eunice and Mama visit a psychiatrist (taken from the last "Carol Burnett Show - A Special Evening With Carol Burnett")

Also, from "Carol & Co" aired 9/8/1979 - Eunice and Mama visit Carl's (Eunice's dad/Mama's husband) grave.

2.) I would love to see the a couple of Full Shows/Specials of "The Carol Burnett Show" that haven't made it to DVD:

- The last show (A Special Evening with Carol Burnett) which features a cameo appearance by Jimmy Stewart, and the last sketches of "The Family" and "Tuddball & Wiggins".

- The 10th Anniversary Show - The last show of Season 10

- The second to last full show from season 11 featuring Bernadette Peters singing "Jump, Shout Boogie" in the finale.

- The full show featuring Sammy Davis Jr.'s second guest appearance on the show. Features a comedy sketch with Sammy and Tim Conway (as the old man) as galley slaves (Sammy totally cracks up in this sketch!!!). Also there is a musical finale which features only Carol and Sammy doing a musical tribute to Broadway(?) (I imagine this episode might be harder to get on DVD due to music clearance).

- The full show featuring Sally Struthers (from "All In The Family")

- The 1994 "Carol Burnett Show Reunion" (only made it on VHS....never on DVD).

- Not totally sure, but I believe there were 2 full shows that The Carpenters performed on.....one where Carol sings with them "Do You Know The Way To San Jose".

3.) Any full shows or sketches from the first 5 seasons.......I know these are the ones that are having a harder time for Star Vista to clear the rights too and I believe, these are not Carol's particularly favorite shows (she thought the later shows were better written).....but wouldn't mind seeing some more of these shows or sketches making it to DVD as well.

4.) There is one "Funt and Mundane" sketch featuring Harvey Korman playing his role and Carol playing her "Charo" character.....it's hysterical......this is one sketch that has not made it yet to DVD from the later years.

Well, those are just a few of my suggestions for the next collection....what are yours?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'd be happy with any new (i.e. previously unreleased), UNCUT episodes. Although I'd particularly like to see the 3rd Maggie Smith ep make it to dvd.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Although I don't care for them, I would think that it would make sense to release a collection of the Complete "Family" sketches. Also, what I really want is a collection devoted solely to the Parodies. The Jim Neighbors Kung Fu parody is one of the funniest sketches CB ever did, but it seems not to be on any of the releases. There are also great parodies of Jaws, Star Trek, and The Wolfman, in addition to the parodies of GWTW, Rebecca, and Mildred Pierce that made it on to the various Time Life releases.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am definitely onboard for any complete episode releases, as well as any of the complete specials you mentioned above. Thanks for the listing of unreleased Family sketches. Do you happen to know which Tudball/Wiggins sketches are still not available? I know they only come from the last three seasons.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
FanCollector said:
Thanks for the listing of unreleased Family sketches. Do you happen to know which Tudball/Wiggins sketches are still not available? I know they only come from the last three seasons.
I wish I knew which "Tudball & Wiggins" sketches are still not available on DVD. I was able to find a listing of "Family" sketches on the internet, but I could not find any listing for the "Tudball & Wiggins". If anyone who is a better "Carol Burnett Show" expert than me knows the answer to this.....please feel free to post.......I would love to know too!!!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If fans want more C.B.S. releases then they need to buy the ones that have already been released. It's as simple as that. The more interest there is the more shows they'll try to clear the rights to. If you don't buy what's being put out then you won't be getting any more of them.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
David Rain said:
If fans want more C.B.S. releases then they need to buy the ones that have already been released. It's as simple as that. The more interest there is the more shows they'll try to clear the rights to. If you don't buy what's being put out then you won't be getting any more of them.
I believe the "Mega" set, "Carol's Favorites" collection and "This Time Together" collection sold very well for Star Vista/Time Life. I don't think they would have recently released another collection, "Carol's Crackups" if the prior sets didn't sell well?

In any case, that wasn't the reason I started the topic in the first place. As said before, I don't know if Star Vista has any plans to release future collections (and yes, I guess it would depend on how well "Carol's Crackups" sells)......but I said "IF" Star Vista does release a future collection, I was asking everyone on the forum to come up with ideas for what shows/specials/sketches they might like to see on future collections. I know that some of the representatives of Star Vista/Time Life check out the Home Theater forum, and if they see what the fans/collectors are looking for, these suggestions might show up on a the next collection (again, "IF" Star Vista decides to release any more "Carol Burnett Shows"). That is what topic is about.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
JoeDoakes said:
Although I don't care for them, I would think that it would make sense to release a collection of the Complete "Family" sketches. Also, what I really want is a collection devoted solely to the Parodies. The Jim Neighbors Kung Fu parody is one of the funniest sketches CB ever did, but it seems not to be on any of the releases. There are also great parodies of Jaws, Star Trek, and The Wolfman, in addition to the parodies of GWTW, Rebecca, and Mildred Pierce that made it on to the various Time Life releases.
I'll second this idea. I'm sure the complete Family sketches would be a huge seller given the success of both The Burnett Show and Mama's Family DVDs for Star Vista.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks