What's new

Making your own room sound treatments (1 Viewer)

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any good ideas or sites that I can visit that would help in creating my own tiles/surfaces/curtians or what ever that could save me money from having to pay for expensive products?

Thanks all.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If you wait till this weekend I plan to make a page fully describing how to build bass traps. As of now I am sewing burlap on my mother's sewing machine for the 4 foot long 16" diameter ASC type traps.
1/2" thick sound deadening board @ home depot is also quite effective so I might experiment a little with that this weekend.
Here's s link to some acoustic panels if they fit your taste.
However, I do think John Risch's design would be more effective as it uses an additional layer of rock wool or compressed fiberglass but I decided not to use that.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, yes I can wait. I am not doing anything until January anyway. I am just doing my research now. Look forward to seeing your site.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Derrick

Those are rather cool looking, but I need someone to explain to me, how they work, who do they affect the sound? Hate to admit it but I am a rather noob here, thus I know very little about sound, how sound travels, how things in your room affect the sound. I know the very basics of sound. I know it comes out of the speaker, travel out from that in waves and will bounce around the room, but how diffusers work, base traps and what not, how all the works is beyond my knowledge. :b

A

Anthony_Gomez

Rick, an absorber or trap converts acoustical energy into heat. It literally removes sound

A diffuser takes a wave traveling at 1 angle and scatters it into many waves each with less energy than the initial. Some energy is lost, but nothing compares to the absorber.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Rick,
Thanks. I built them, but didn't design them. This is also one of those cases where they look better in the photo :) I was very hastie when I built them and it shows. Hopefully I will be able to re-build them with nice looking cabs. If you are wondering on the design, you can find it at www.dillonacoustics.com

Pat

Agent
Rick, I made some DIY sound absorbing panels.
You can find the details on my webpage.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Pat, thanks for the link. I have seen several DIY panels now, they look easy enough to construct, but the one nagging question I have is, how do you know where to place them? I simply don't have enough knowledge of sound to know where to even begin.

Pat

Agent
Rick,
If you want to tame the first reflection point, use a mirror.
You will need a helper.
Sit in the primary listening position and have your helper move the mirror along the wall until you see your speaker.
That it where you would place a sound absorbing panel to tame the first reflection point.
Glad my photos helped :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

It doesn't. A speaker may have a different off axis responce, but it won't change the reflection angle or angle of incidence from a point source.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I built the first trap, these things are bigger than SVS ultras! hehe. I didn't have any string so the first one took a longer time to build.
You can see the page I built so far on the traps at my page. I also have nearly finished a third tempest enclosure only this one is for my car and tuned to like 25hz.
Link

A

Anthony_Gomez

Nice to see more picture of bass traps. I'm going to have to build them someday and see how they work out for specific peaks (what I built the tube helmholtz resonators for).
Also Chris, haven't heard from you on the local meet (see the forum). You mentioned interest a while ago and never got an email after I sent them out. Still thinking about it? :D

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Anyone have any idea how much the 703 FRK (2") runs per 2x4 sheet?
I bought a couple boxes from a local sheetrock/insulation distributor. He had a bunch of the 703 unfaced and I got it for 1/2 price, .68/SF if I remember correctly. I used 1/2" Homosote behind it. Worked very well.

Pete

Pat

Agent
Rick,
Anthony said it more eloquently than I could have :)
Toe-in shouldn't make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks