What's new

Lou Grant listing! (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I also noticed Simon and Simon Season 5 is also coming out on 5/9/2017 as well...is this series coming out of moratorium finally or is this season a re-release?

Simon and Simon was finished up through the original Shout Select online exclusive program about three years ago. All 8 seasons are available through their website already if you feel like paying a pretty penny for them.

They're just finally releasing the already pressed sets to all interested retailers, presumably to get rid of the remaining stock.

Good thing, too, because the Shout Select online exclusive sets were expensive as all hell.

Oh, and I don't mean to sound condescending or anything, I just don't know if you or anyone potentially reading knew about the old Shout Select program and the existence of these sets.

The Simon and Simon stuff isn't the first SS stuff to finally get a wide release this year. Father Knows Best S5 and Mr. Belvedere S4 are two other select series with seasons finally becoming available to all retailers.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It seems as though they want to continue their classic television releases, but have run out of negotiated content for the moment. They are doing a complete series set of Hart to Hart, all of which had been previously released, and going back to the old Shout Select titles referenced above, but the only series with forthcoming new-to-disc episodes (besides finishing Newhart and Lou Grant) at this point seems to be Diff'rent Strokes.

The fact that they are doing stuff like Hart to Hart, Simon & Simon, and Father Knows Best seems encouraging. They may not have new content right now, but the company seems to believe there is a market for these shows on a monthly basis. It would be nice to see them license more Fox, Sony, and Universal shows soon.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
That's great news. I'm glad that Shout was able to move quickly thru this series and get all 5 seasons out within 1 year. (Season 1 came out in May 2016.)

Nice cast photo for the cover, except that Nancy Marchand wasn't in it.

product_images_modal_LGS5.Cover.72dpi__7Ba92a1f80-99a7-46ff-a9bd-fc63ff4a5411_7D.jpg

Now I wonder what show Shout will do next. With NYPD Blue done and both Lou Grant and Newhart about to be done, there should be room for Shout to add several shows to its rotation of series releases. I hope they aren't just going to focus only on the rereleases of old Shout Select material.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I didn't see much of Lou Grant in syndication. Were there any music used in this series? As an MTM property, I've read The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda (Season 3 was confirmed by Shout!), and The Bob Newhart Show have some replacement done. Then there's WKRP in Cincinnati which is in a class of its own. I haven't seen mention of Newhart, so I am unsure of that one.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'm personally hoping for The Fall Guy with ALL of the music intact. If it is not possible in a complete series set, I hope I'll be able to get one or two seasons with Markie Post completely cleared.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This all-in-one release of Hart to Hart: will the previously-released first two seasons' worth from Sony be repackaged into keepcases for this release (being that the third through fifth ones were keepcases)?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This all-in-one release of Hart to Hart: will the previously-released first two seasons' worth from Sony be repackaged into keepcases for this release (being that the third through fifth ones were keepcases)?

Most likely.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At this point, one hypothetical ShoutFactory complete series which might interest me, would be something like NYPD Blue. (ie. With seasons 3 and 4 redone as single-sided disc sets. The original Fox versions of seasons 3 and 4, were done as double-sided flipper disc sets). Most likely such a set would be over $200 in its first year of release.

Last edited:

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Just read through this thread, as 'Lou Grant' is one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time - and was somewhat dismayed to find that the majority of posts are about other series and hoping they might get released and fast-forwarded the way this one has. I get that - and I share the hope that we'll see more seasons of 'The Defenders,' but let's take a moment to celebrate what an achievement this series was, shall we?

Considering the current state of journalism (and I believe this is true regardless of one's politics), watching 'Lou Grant' is almost painful at times, because you see the time and attention that is devoted to verifying sources, checking facts and getting stories right before they are published. And you see in several episodes how even the slightest conflict of interest or suggestion of a journalist being compromised by a personal relationship is enough for drastic action to be taken. When did we lose all of that? When did this quest for objectivity and integrity suddenly become less important? I'm sure the internet had much to do with it, but there has to be more to the story than that (where's Joe Rossi when we need him?)

Someone earlier mentioned the series' politics, and I've read that it was Asner's politics that kept the show from getting another season. But I've found the stories on controversial issues to be both fair and insightful. And when you watch an episode like "Sweep" about illegal immigration, it's fascinating to see how little has changed in the 35 years since it was first broadcast.

This was one of my Grail shows, and I cannot wait to revisit season 4 later this month.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Eloquently said, Dave...and I share your high regard for Lou Grant, as I also share your lamentation for the state of journalism today, print and otherwise...and I agree that lamentation is held irrespective of where you find yourself on the political spectrum too...it is to cry...my once esteemed home town newspapers are often almost a parody of what daytime gossip and pop culture public affairs television brought to the printed page would look like...the sausage factory schools of "Journalism" turn out indoctrinated droids, people with no useful and informed context and body of knowledge...let alone someone of profound intellect, integrity and gravitas who understands what local and world news should cover and present as...and, for the almost exotic, difficult and time consuming procedural ethics of multiple source verified "Investigative Journalism"...well, a lot of the consolidated newspaper ownership group corporate directives preclude that simply on the basis of cost and resources alone...not to mention fear of libel and cost of defense in any lawsuit...and the "Journalists" themselves often disqualify their research and reporting simply with their own incompetence, carelessness, and worse yet, preconceived political or personality bias, which they firmly believe is their entitlement...everyone seems to be grinding their axe these days...

That is one of the strengths of the drama and engaging scripts of Lou Grant...the depiction of systematic procedural ethics when it comes to Investigative Journalism...and the wonderful chemistry of the leads as they hash it all out, under deadlines and warding off the ever present allure of the shortcut...I absolutely love the interplay between Ed Asner, Mason Adams and the astounding and wonderful Nancy Marchand...Robert Walden, Linda Kelsey and Jack Bannon too...the writing is great...yes, there's an undeniable capital L Liberal bias here as a motive force in most of it's themes...but as a self styled William F. Buckley Conservative, I myself don't find it oppressive, most of the time...I'll be grateful to have the whole series in my collection soon to enjoy, thanks to Shout...

"Sweep" (love those minimalist episode titles) is one of the most memorable from season 2...great episode, and I love seeing a young Jonathan Banks ("Mike" in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) in that one too...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Eloquently said, Dave...and I share your high regard for Lou Grant, as I also share your lamentation for the state of journalism today, print and otherwise...and I agree that lamentation is held irrespective of where you find yourself on the political spectrum too...it is to cry...my once esteemed home town newspapers are often almost a parody of what daytime gossip and pop culture public affairs television brought to the printed page would look like...the sausage factory schools of "Journalism" turn out indoctrinated droids, people with no useful and informed context and body of knowledge...let alone someone of profound intellect, integrity and gravitas who understands what local and world news should cover and present as...and, for the almost exotic, difficult and time consuming procedural ethics of multiple source verified "Investigative Journalism"...well, a lot of the consolidated newspaper ownership group corporate directives preclude that simply on the basis of cost and resources alone...not to mention fear of libel and cost of defense in any lawsuit...and the "Journalists" themselves often disqualify their research and reporting simply with their own incompetence, carelessness, and worse yet, preconceived political or personality bias, which they firmly believe is their entitlement...everyone seems to be grinding their axe these days...

That is one of the strengths of the drama and engaging scripts of Lou Grant...the depiction of systematic procedural ethics when it comes to Investigative Journalism...and the wonderful chemistry of the leads as they hash it all out, under deadlines and warding off the ever present allure of the shortcut...I absolutely love the interplay between Ed Asner, Mason Adams and the astounding and wonderful Nancy Marchand...Robert Walden, Linda Kelsey and Jack Bannon too...the writing is great...yes, there's an undeniable capital L Liberal bias here as a motive force in most of it's themes...but as a self styled William F. Buckley Conservative, I myself don't find it oppressive, most of the time...I'll be grateful to have the whole series in my collection soon to enjoy, thanks to Shout...

"Sweep" (love those minimalist episode titles) is one of the most memorable from season 2...great episode, and I love seeing a young Jonathan Banks ("Mike" in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) in that one too...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks