What's new

Lou Grant listing! (1 Viewer)

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Any news from Shout on season 5? The postponement was very last-minute, and since then no subsequent announcements were made, to my knowledge. I really want to own the full series so I can have that pleasant, nostalgic reminder of what journalism is supposed to be.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I wrote them in May and they said they were still working on it, but had no date to announce yet. Our own Neil Brock here, who seems to know someone at the company, said they had a problem with the elements for the fifth season episodes, but that the problem has been remedied. So it seems as though we have reason to hope, but no, no specific news on the last season just yet.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I believe they were. There were some quite inferior prints on the Hulu run I saw when I viewed S1-3 on that service during the year I had it for free. The DVDs have looked much much better for the most part. And the bad-looking episodes had some abrupt cuts in them, indicating they were probably syndication versions.

I recorded the Hulu episodes and with a couple of exceptions, they were all complete and not sped up. As for this Indians episode, when I have time, I can A/B it with the Hulu version, which I don't think ran as short.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just received an email from Amazon informing me that my pre-order for Lou Grant season 5 has been cancelled...to quote from the form, "until recently, we had hoped to obtain this item for you"...perhaps enough time has elapsed that it drops out of the prescribed availability window for Amazon...as far as we know here from those in the know, it's still coming at some point, now that source elements issues have been addressed?

Really disappointing that a show of such relatively recent vintage is hamstrung by careless safeguarding of film elements at the studio sources.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Hollywood Reporter is reporting the passing of Jack Bannon, at the age of 77...rest in peace...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jack-bannon-dead-lou-grant-actor-was-77-1052238
He was the son of Bea Benaderet (Burns and Allen, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Flintstones) and Jim Bannon, who starred as Red Ryder in the '40s...he was also John Travolta's brother in law... Jack Bannon had been married since 1983 to actress Ellen Travolta...Jack Bannon, of course, was a solid and reliably good actor and a real asset as Lou Grant moved into it's later seasons, when he carried some memorable episodes, ...photo below of Jack Bannon and Ellen Travolta was taken in 1981...
actress-ellen-travolta-and-actor-jack-bannon-attend-an-event-in-1980-picture-id483047020

A recent photo of them...

fd9f4e885934fdf38846127b9c13c3ef--jack-bannon-ellen-travolta.jpg

He appeared on his Mother's show, Petticoat Junction, in 1963, ('Kate's Recipe for Hot Rhubarb', Nov. 12, 1963)... here he is with Jeannine Riley and Pat Woodell...

american-actors-jeannine-riley-jack-bannon-and-pat-woodell-appear-in-picture-id82045659

LG.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Hollywood Reporter is reporting the passing of Jack Bannon, at the age of 77...rest in peace...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jack-bannon-dead-lou-grant-actor-was-77-1052238
He was the son of Bea Benaderet (Burns and Allen, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Flintstones) and Jim Bannon, who starred as Red Ryder in the '40s...he was also John Travolta's brother in law... Jack Bannon had been married since 1983 to actress Ellen Travolta...Jack Bannon, of course, was a solid and reliably good actor and a real asset as Lou Grant moved into it's later seasons, when he carried some memorable episodes, ...photo below of Jack Bannon and Ellen Travolta was taken in 1981...
actress-ellen-travolta-and-actor-jack-bannon-attend-an-event-in-1980-picture-id483047020

A recent photo of them...

fd9f4e885934fdf38846127b9c13c3ef--jack-bannon-ellen-travolta.jpg

He appeared on his Mother's show, Petticoat Junction, in 1963, ('Kate's Recipe for Hot Rhubarb', Nov. 12, 1963)... here he is with Jeannine Riley and Pat Woodell...

american-actors-jeannine-riley-jack-bannon-and-pat-woodell-appear-in-picture-id82045659

LG.jpeg
The last episode of S7 of The Beverly Hillbillies, he appeared as the cop who "took" Pat Boone to "jail" after responding to a complaint from Mrs. Drysdale about Granny's collard greens and fatback.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Is there anything new on what happened to Season 5? Back when it was "delayed" the issue was supposedly technical issues. I have to wonder if the "technical issue" was that Seasons 1-4 haven't sold well enough.

And when will we see a complete series release of St. Elsewhere? I'm not getting younger (70 is coming on fast!) and the siren songs of "alternate sources" are getting louder.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And when will we see a complete series release of St. Elsewhere? I'm not getting younger (70 is coming on fast!) and the siren songs of "alternate sources" are getting louder.

Does anybody know who actually owns St Elsewhere outright?

IIRC, Fox released the double-sided flipper dvd discs version of season 1 around a decade ago. But do we know whether Fox outright owns St Elsewhere? Or does MGM own it?

At this time, it seems like MGM is much more willing to "outsource" their older shows to third party companies like VEI, Kino-Lorber, etc .... (ie. Cagney & Lacey, the original Outer Limits, Flipper, etc ...). Currently Fox only seems to deal with Shout Factory or Olive for outsourcing their older tv shows (such as King of the Hill, NYPD Blue, Lou Grant, etc ...).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not to be snide, but do people not know how to go to IMDB to look up a distributor of a series? Its really not that difficult.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Speaking of Fox, there was news earlier today of Disney possibly buying up Fox almost entirely.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/20th-century-fox-sold-to-disney-maybe.354825/

If this ends up happening and isn't contested by the anti-trust department of the DOJ, wonder what it will mean for Fox owned shows.

ie. Will they be buried even deeper in the ground, never to see the light of day?

So what you're saying is that, if Disney buys Fox, Trapper John will be kept in the vault for good, and never get a release? That's somewhat how I'm reading you.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Speaking of Fox, there was news earlier today of Disney possibly buying up Fox almost entirely.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/20th-century-fox-sold-to-disney-maybe.354825/

If this ends up happening and isn't contested by the anti-trust department of the DOJ, wonder what it will mean for Fox owned shows.

ie. Will they be buried even deeper in the ground, never to see the light of day?

Buried deeper...or mysteriously absent from the vault altogether.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Does anybody know who actually owns St Elsewhere outright?

IIRC, Fox released the double-sided flipper dvd discs version of season 1 around a decade ago. But do we know whether Fox outright owns St Elsewhere? Or does MGM own it?

At this time, it seems like MGM is much more willing to "outsource" their older shows to third party companies like VEI, Kino-Lorber, etc .... (ie. Cagney & Lacey, the original Outer Limits, Flipper, etc ...). Currently Fox only seems to deal with Shout Factory or Olive for outsourcing their older tv shows (such as King of the Hill, NYPD Blue, Lou Grant, etc ...).

I would think that Shout has it, as they've doing the other recent MTM show releases (Hill Street Blues, Newhart, etc.).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another possibility is VEI, if they ever make inroads with Fox.

Though I suspect if VEI ever gets their paws on it, they will release them as 6 episodes crammed per single-sided disc.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Not to be snide, but do people not know how to go to IMDB to look up a distributor of a series? Its really not that difficult.

(More generally).

Sometimes the imdb and wikipedia listings are ambiguous, as to who exactly owns what.

For example, both ABC/Disney (and Touchstone) and CBS/Paramount are mentioned as the production companies and distributors for the long running procedural show Criminal Minds. But we know CBS/Paramount handles the dvd releases for region1. (Dunno about other regions outside of america).

More recently, VEI is releasing Grandfathered which lists both ABC/Disney and Fox as the production companies and distributors on imdb and wikipedia.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4465368/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co

The mockup image of the dvd packaging for Grandfathered on tvshowsondvd has the ABC logo on the spine, which suggests Disney/ABC most likely has the home video rights. Though this is not definitive, as to whether Fox has any partial ownership stake in it.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Grandfathered-Season-1/23782

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks