What's new

2017: My Verdict (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Fellow Video Philes:

Just to add my opinion on what to expect for this year, 2017. Many of us feel that 2016 was a rough year when it came to getting classic and black and white television out on DVD (or anything else for that matter)? And it is true that there has been a tremendous downslide in releases from the golden age of the medium.

But considering that we have a somewhat mixed economy and a somewhat debatable unemployment level, I thought we did very well. We had about thirty-five (by my count) unreleased television releases in 2016. The most notable ones being The Defenders and Lou Grant from Shout Studios.

While we may not get all what we want, it's possible that most of us will get some of what we want in 2017. Right now, is the slow release time of the year, but I think things will pick up as the year is going. The very fact that CBS Video is releasing the third season of the Love Boat is a sign of encouragement. I thought CBS had abandoned that series long ago. There are various reports that the economy is doing better. So companies might feel a bit more encouraged to release a few seasons or titles.

In 2017, we'll get mostly one season shows from WB Archives, VEI Entertainment, Shout, and a few little studios. We already know what's coming out from them in the months ahead. We'll also get more shows that were half started finished.

What they are right now? I don't know.

But I never expected Mad About Me, Cop Rock, the Brady Kids, and Future Cop to come out on digital. Expect more of this.

Newhart, Lou Grant, and NYPD Blues will be finished. Once they're done, Shout should go back and finish a few series that the fans have been clamoring for. Maybe that's not likely. But it would be appreciated.

My predictions for 2017: Unreleased Series

77 Sunset Strip
Super President or the New Adventures of Dr. Doolittle
Lassie's Rescue Rangers or My Favorite Martians
The Sanford Arms or Sanford
Our Miss Brooks
Hec Ramsey
Colt 45
Hondo
the Alaskans
Angie
The Magician
The Immortal
Jake 2.0
Deadly Games
John Doe
Step by Step
Longstreet
Special Unit 21
Adventures of Gulliver
The Banana Splits
VR5
Wildfire (animated)

In the past, I've had a success rate of 5 to 10%, so keep that in mind. Hopefully, everyone will get something on their Holy Grail list in 2017. That may be wishful thinking, but we all hope for the best. I've included one animated series because a Filmation series came out last year, and another one because King Lobo released some Depatie Freling series in the past few years. Hey! Super President was the greatest superhero series ever. Just look at it.

Wishing you all the best in 2017

James

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a huge tangent).

Hopefully the old inventory of Universal double-sided flipper disc sets (originally released over 2004 -> 2006) will run out sometime in 2017, so that Universal re-releases the remaining sets as single-sided discs sets.

For example, Kojak season 1 is being re-released as single-sided discs on February 14, 2017. (The original version was done as double-sided flipper discs back in 2005).

The remaining Universal flipper disc sets not yet re-released as single-sided discs:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...reissued-dvd-sets.322475/page-34#post-4440969

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If Lou Grant has been a success, I've been thinking that Trapper John, M.D. is the next logical choice for Shout Factory to tackle.

Indeed so! If something for Trapper John, M.D. shows up on tvshowsondvd.com or even the Shout! site, I'll very likely put in a preorder on the spot.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Would love to see Run For Your Life finally come out, the Warner detective shows started and maybe Shout picks up Silver Spoons, Fall Guy, and One Day At A Time and finally CBS gives us Beverly Hillbillies Season 5 and beyond. Maybe on the one season front, It's Your Move, THE Cat, He and She, and Tighrope.
Other hopes:
Mostly Fox stuff - Peyton Place, Felony Squad, Julia, 12 0 clock High, Trapper John, Judd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks