What's new

Lost: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

It really matters to me that it's Locke, and not some island defense system posing as one of my favorite characters. I care about what happens to John Locke the character, and how he turns the tables on Ben. Either way Ben is screwed, but I'd prefer the island corners him into following the character I've been following for five seasons, rather than some island doppleganger.

It makes sense that Illyana is working for Widmore. As the lines are tightening in these final seasons, to introduce a third "faction" might send people into mass confusion. Does anyone else wonder if Cesar might not be dead? I hope he is, just because that was a great, shocking moment, and it would be lame to dial it back... but they seemed to go out of their way not to show the body after the shot. I'm probably reading too much into this.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Yes, that is not in question. The theory is that the monster took the form of Locke after he was killed and brought back to the island - in other words, he wasn't really resurrected. It kind of makes sense, but I hope it's not the case.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In light of what "Alex" said to him later, I especially liked Ben's line to Sun about how what something was going to come out of the jungle that he couldn't control - followed by John Locke ambling into view. Ben's entire life has been about using, manipulating and lying to other people to get them to do what he wants so that he can get what he wants. He is the piper playing the tune that everyone else dances to, the man who is always several steps ahead of everyone around him. John Locke is now something that Ben doesn't understand and can't control. And that really does scare the hell out of him, just as he told Sun.

Regards,

Joe

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

OK, I know what they are saying, but that makes zero sense to me. The reason is because of where this show is going with the writing. Locke has a theme of his life has a purpose and the island is certainly connected to him somehow. We know this because he can walk now and also all the events that happened to him that saved him.

While I get what you say, I never would come close to drawing that as a even a remote possibility. It is MUCH more interesting with him actually being brought back to life and what this all means for everyone.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Only if he were unrepentant, I think.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

You're right it did not. Like I said, we know the "smoke monster" acts as a mirror onto the person it is confronting. Ben was spared because of some unknown reason and it wants him to follow Locke fully. From how it reacted when he was being judged, that was the ONLY reason for it as I don't think the "smoke monster" forgave him but rather spared him for other purposes.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am glad they didn't kill off Penny. After all the crap Desmond went through. It would be nice if he was able to live happily with her.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Anyone see the Easter special of Doctor Who yesterday?
I'll spoiler just encase I get yelled at
Faraday is mentioned about his time travel cage to be protected when time traveling through a worm hole. And there are "whispers" voices of the dead in this episode.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
John - I'm assuming you realise that the Faraday cage is a real invention by a real physicist (Michael Faraday) and that its mention on Doctor Who had absolutely nothing to do with Lost. Apologies if you do, but I just wanted to check because it seems like you think Doctor Who was referencing Lost.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

Yeah, I realize all that.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Wanted to mention the comparison.
and that the mention of the Faraday cage and the double decker bus The Doctor traveled in was used as a Faraday cage device to safely enter a wormhole for time travel. And that The 815 plane in lost could also be the Faraday cage to safely enter a wormhole to enter the island.

I know it had nothing to do with the other.

Arild

Supporting Actor
I think there's a new ep this week but none the next. But other than that, I believe they're playing straight through until the end of the season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the schedule for the rest of the season is:

April 15: episode 13 (entitled Some Like It Hoth)
April 22: a 'new' recap show (Lost: The Story Of The Oceanic 6)
April 29: episode 14 (The Variable)
May 6: episode 15 (Follow The Leader)
May 13: episodes 16/17 (The Incident) is the two hour finale.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I am shocked by how quickly this Season is passing us by. It feels like only yesterday that we were finding out about the phenomenon of the Oceanic 6. Hard to believe that we have only a handful of episodes, followed by another season, before LOST is wrapped up for good.

While I am pleased with the direction the show has taken (count me as someone who finds the time travel conceit a clever way of introducing a sort of 'extended/interactive flashback' to the history of the Island only alluded to in prior seasons) I was always one for the looser, more character-driven episodes from the first season, and the broader human conflicts introduced therein.

The current season is much more plot-driven and exciting. Don't get me wrong, I love that. We're getting loaded down with new revelations with each episodes (Wednesdays are like Christmas for LOST fans right now). I just sometimes miss, like I said, the looser moments: the Sawyer/Hurley ping pong match, the boar expeditions, etc. I realize that the way things are going for the Survivors, there's just no room for that anymore.

The shorter season, and the breakneck pace at which the writers are resolving the series has resulted in an exciting, fun season, albeit one that has necessary reduced some of the stronger character beats to mere shorthand strokes. In other words, it takes a fan's foreknowledge of what makes the main characters tick, where they've been, and where they're going, to make sense of a lot of what's happening. You have to be an established fan to get the full effect of what we're seeing with Season 5.

I wonder if, between Season 5 and 6, we'll get another series of "mobisodes," and if so, what they might be about.

Also, one final thought on what (I think) would be a fantastic way to open the next season (or even the first moments of the 2-part Season finale next month). Lost has a habit of trying to completely knock it's viewers off guard in the beginning of each season.

A scene opens to what looks like a colonial style drawing room. It is soon revealed to be a room not on land, but on a vessel, a slave vessel, the Black Rock... as it runs aground. Wouldn't that be awesome?

And finally, I have some ideas about the giant Island statue that seems to contradict many of your theories:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Continuity goof?

We found out the last few episodes that the "Temple" is kind of like a sacred place for the others and it's a fair assumption right now that the Dharma folk don't know about it or were strictly kept away from it.

However, back in last season when Ben gave the map to Alex, Danielle and Carl, and told them to go to the Temple (just before Danielle and Carl got shot), it was clearly marked on the map as a Dharma station.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Ben said that The Temple wasn't for the 815ers so I don't think it would have been a Dharma station (but I could be wrong). If it is, I guess it could be like The Orchid where there's the Dharma station and a much more important element underneath it that was unknown to Dharma.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
So I have to say, to me, tonight was definitely the low point of the season, maybe longer than that. I had a feeling that they wouldn't be able to sustain the string of amazing episodes for the entire season, so it's not entirely unexpected. That being said, nothing really happened in it. A few things about Miles were confirmed, but that's about it.

Though, it could end up being like the van episode in S3 and tie in at the end; I enjoyed the van one much more seeing it a second time and knowing that it actually was important later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks