1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost: Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lou Sytsma, Aug 11, 2008.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I thought it was a necessary episode just because they finally filled in Miles' backstory (the guy has been on the show for nearly two years and hasn't had a real flashback yet). Now that Faraday has arrived, I think that the rest of the episodes will all be racing to the end of the season.

And as a Star Wars fan, I loved the SW references.

2. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I agree that it may have been a necessary episode, but it wasn't particularly well-written or entertaining IMO. It's certainly not up to the high standards of the rest of season five. There was a lot of water treading by the central characters who basically served as background props for a not very compelling Miles backstory. We already knew he talked to dead people, and that's pretty much all we still know. Was he born with this power? Is it the result of something that happened on the island? Perhaps if a few of the blanks were filled in, I'd feel better about it, but as it stands, I'd rate this episode 'average' at best.

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

is everyone overlooking that Sawyer basically just got busted on the video and had to knock the guy out? His world (and Jack's, Kate's, Hurley's, Juliette's...) is about to be turned upside down because they saved Ben. They will most likely all be considered traitors, spies now. I'd say that's a pretty big plot development about the main characters.

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I enjoyed the episode. Certainly not the worst of the season. Liked seeing Miles ride in the van with his dad and Hurley egging them on. And liked seeing the building of the hatch with Hurley's comment, "The hatch that crashed our plane."

So I don't remember, do we know Chang's fate on the island? He seems pretty loving of Miles as an infant to have just left him behind without good reason (and Miles should have picked up on that).

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

So, Illana's group isn't working for Widmore like some had assumed. I believe the main guy in the van was the same one who was helping her with the weapons last week.

6. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

we also find out why Miles asked for 3.2 mil from Ben to say he was dead. but that implies Ben is connected with these "shadow of the statue" people.

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I don't know if Ben is connected with this new group, just that Miles wanted twice what Widmore was offering to not do his job.

I think Chang makes his wife hate him so she will leave the Island and take Miles with her, because he loves them and doesn't want any harm to come to them. He shows too much love for baby Miles to just right them off.

I guess Faraday left the Island when the Sub departed the first time.

8. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

"Some Like It Hoth":

So, despite the silly title...

I disagree that tonight's episode was "average filler". I do think segments of Miles' back story (the man with the dead son) were stories we've already seen before - back in Season 4, we received a different Miles flashback with pretty much the exact same character beats. I don't need revelatory plot in every episode, but a few character revelations would be nice, in lieu of breakneck pacing.

A similar sentiment of "meh" was circulating back in Season 3 with "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" (the episode where Hurley discovers Roger's corpse in the old Dharma van). It was also a quieter episode, surrounded by episodes containing revelatory and breakneck plot; with this show, the plot needs to stop and take a break every so often, even when it gives us nothing new in terms of plot development - rather, more character and atmospheric detail.

It's this concept of pacing which excuses the lack of revelation for me. For example: I love how they're writing Pierre Chang, the ultimate mythic straight man: they're exploding and making fun of the robotic personage from the hatch movies; and the interchanges between Miles and Hurley were hilarious, and dealt with a subject I never thought they'd cover: the exact difference between Hurley and Miles' "dead people" abilities. (Miles was also funny in the flashback: "you owe me a fish taco.") That they were able to fit in most of the other major characters was a nice juggling act, too. And of course, every explosion needs a prelude, and two weeks from now, we're in for the beginning of events leading directly into the season finale.

Tonight we got the prelude.

I'm also re-watching Season 2 again, seeing the numbers printed onto the hatch lid (and the construction of the hatch itself) was all kinds of cool! I think this episode will flow very nicely when sandwiched into a DVD marathon someday. "Lost" has been "ON ON ON" this Season, and I must agree with Joseph's comments above... if these later days of the saga have any weakness, it's their constant relentlessness, constant cliffhangers, the sense that lingering is no longer possible. Because we already know those things, we've already been there. It's accelerating. But I suppose they couldn't do it any other way.

The idea of "Conversion to Other" is becoming a very real idea now, with (among other things), children from Flight 815 creeping through the forest, Bram's smiling, vaguely insidious offer to Miles (in the van), Claire's incredibly errant behavior, Illana's "riddle" to Frank, Ben's "change" after being healed as a boy... these people have all had holes filled, all right (quoth Bram), but something seems not quite right.

I'm willing to admit when Lost has an episode that makes me go "meh, maybe next week", but Season 5 hasn't delivered one yet.

9. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Well, we learned that the Dharma 'experiments' weren't just on bunnies.

My favorite part was Miles seeing his baby-self and seeing that his dad actually loved him whether he remembered or not. Who'd have thought Hurley would be giving him sage advice? Pretty cool.

As far as 'the incident' goes, we know they buried the nuke in the 50's and we know Dharma is now doing a lot of deep digging...looks pretty clear what is going to happen next.

10. NeilO

NeilO Producer

That would be sick and cruel.

11. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I think the episode implied that there is a new party in town. I seriously doubt that the "shadow of the statue" people are working with Ben. They have their own agenda and are most likely the people that Widmore believes are going to be on the other side of the "war."

I agree that Chang made his wife take Miles away because he wanted to protect them - possibly due to the Incident or something else. Possibly, Miles will provide the reason, maybe even telling him about the Purge.

Now we know where Faraday has been all this time and I think we can place the opening scene of the season as happening soon. Miles was still a baby in that scene and it had Faraday.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I thought it was a fun episode, with plenty of great lines, and an interesting backstory on a character that's been around a while and that we know little about.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

He's missing an arm in (I think) The Swan orientation movie but beyond that, nothing.

14. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    Two other revelations in this "meh" episode, one confirmation and one ominous foreshadowing:

Nadia confirmed that it was Widmore who faked the Oceanic wreckage. There had been some discussion that possibly Ben was lying.

A man working in a ditch killed by one of his fillings being blasted through the back of his head. That is accompanied by a tense phone conversation by Chang where he says something like "maybe it was electro-magnetic".

15. Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase Stunt Coordinator

Great "fun" episode. It left me with a big smile on my face afterwards.

And "That douche is my dad" just might be the best line ever uttered in the history of network television. LOL!

I listened to last weeks podcast with Carlton and Cuse and they made mention that they were lightening the mood with this episode because the remaining ones would be intense. Nice.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

16. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Change your own diaper. [​IMG]

17. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Surprised by the negative comments. Solid, fun episode and Hurley's comparison of Miles to his father vis a vis Luke and Vader was funny. The Ewoks suck comment - priceless.

18. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

I guess we still don't know who faked the Oceanic wreckage. The corpse could have been working for Ben, or since he was on his way to deliver the photos to Widmore, he could have been a traitor in Ben's organization.

One thing that didn't make sense to me for that scene is that it implies that Naomi knew about the plane wreckage and empty graves, yet she expressed shock when she crashed on the island and Hurley told her that they were survivors of Oceanic 816.

Have we seen the guy who got killed by his filling before? In Season 3 finale when Ben showed Locke the Dharma mass grave, there is a corpse with a hole in his head in the exact same spot that this guy had the hole in his head. We thought that he had been shot at the time. Although the timing doesn't make sense. That ditch was supposedly filled with the bodies from the purge, which doesn't happen for some time.

19. NeilO

NeilO Producer

It could be that his body gets sent to the time of The Purge via an experiment at The Orchid. Then it just gets stacked with the other dead Dharma folk.

I was just thinking some more that the "shadow under the statue" people are probably connected with the Dharma Initiative. That's how they knew who Miles' father was.

20. Arild

Arild Supporting Actor

So we know now that Dharma knowingly broke the terms of their truce with the Others. I'm wondering if the building of the hatch and the potential danger that comes with it is exactly what the Others were trying to keep them from doing.