What's new

Lost: Season 5 (3 Viewers)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I didn't know the name of what that is, but I'd seen it before and I was thinking something along those lines myself.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

makes me feel bad for jack. he is constantly losing or chasing women away.... on top of all of that sawyer got to have both kate and juliet while jack has seen none of the above. that has got to hurt.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I don't normally pose radical theories of my own, but here's one:

Perhaps the island is the (Egyptian?) underworld, or at least something approximate. The losties themsevles aren't dead, but they are in the realm of the dead, for what reason, I don't know.

- The statue could be Anubis, associated with the afterlife.
- The "exit point" is in Tunisiam, while not in present-day Egypt, it is quite close.
- We have seen a number of hieroglyphs in the show, from the swan "clock," (did it not spell "Underworld?), to the room in Ben's house, to the wheel cave.
- Hurley was painting a picture of the Sphinx (http://www.getlostpodcastmedia.com/w...er-eggs/12.jpg)

Perhaps it's not the underworld per se, but then again, it's just a theory anyway.

Another closely-related option, is that isn't the underworld, but the "domain of the gods." This would allow more than one, such as Tawret noted above, or even other pantheons, such as Greek and Norse, but there seems to be an abundance of Egpytian references...

One other thing - the statue we saw in the episode doesn't seem to be the same one we saw the foot of a few seasons back. The locations don't look at all the same.

Edit: Also, as an aside, maybe Charlotte knows Korean because Jin teaches it to her as a child.

Another Edit: There is also a chance for a connection between Horace and Horus.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Wow. Thanks for the capture... seeing that statue in the distance was one of the more "holy ----!" moments of the series.

I feel bad for Juliet. She didn't really ask for either of these romances - she just wanted to get home to her sister. And yet both Jack and Sawyer used her to dull their feelings for Kate, who is a lot more unpredictable and unstable. The only man who loved her was (essentially) murdered by Ben, who also claimed to love her. Is she the island's female Hurley in matters of the heart?

P.S. MikeH, I couldn't agree more.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if we will get to see Roger Workman again
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Good ep.

The problem is that unlike many, I have absolutely no interest in the Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliette rectangle. Who ends up with who and blah blah blah. None. Part of it is that Sawyer's "love" for Kate has been overplayed IMO. Ya sure they had that connection, but I don't recall it as anything that would take months/years to get over. Therefore I don't buy the conflict that just got seup, and I hope we don't dwell on it. And oh the swapping between these four is gross.

It's fun to see Sawyer as a presumably honest and responsible citizen. The glasses and the haircut just kill me.

We need to see more of Richard Alpert. He is just awesome.

--
H

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
With the Juliette/Sawyer/Kate triangle thing, since they are back in the past you can throw in Juliette's island ex Goodwin
since he would be alive and this Juliette knows about their future relationship.

I'm sure we'll be seeing Goodwin and Ethan again.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
How old do you think Goodwin and Ethan were in 2004? If they are seen in 1977, they are going to probably be teenagers at most (unless they are "ageless" like Richard Alpert).

Now, I think Ben is supposed to arrive as a youth on the island sometime in 1977, though I can't find the reference at this time. In the Juliet flashback someone mentioned that Ben was interested in her because she looked like someone else. What if it was because he met her as a youth?

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I am done with this part of the show as well. Leave Kate with Jack and I like the responsible new Sawyer with Juliette. I would rather see the four of them working together as a team to figure out the mystery of the island instead of fighting over each other.

I also love all the crazy things that Sawyers says and his interaction with them all together would be funny.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Man, this season rocks. A couple of quick thoughts:

One preliminary nitpick: I saw some discussion above about how the O6 were somehow supposed to be "representing" other people from Oceanic 815 on the new flight. I have no idea where this got started. I don't see anything in the episode that even suggests it, beyond the symmetry within the group of Sayid being brought aboard by an apparent law enforcement type and Jack bringing Locke's body aboard as he did Christian's. (And with similar results.) So I frankly think all the speculation based on the notion is moot.

1) I do think that John and Sun are in the present, along with the rest of survivors from the crashed plane.

2) Interesting (and no doubt significant) that three years have passed since the Jack's group and Sawyer's split up.

3) I have to admit I've lost track of islands. Are Rose and the rest of the background Losties still on the "big island"? Sawyer and company are clearly on the second island, the main Dharma base. Is that also where Locke and the New Kids ended up?

4) Juliet or Kate? Kate or Juliet? I'd like a month or two of field research before making that choice. (Actually, if you put a gun to my head, I think I'd have to pick Kate. Both are lovely, but there's just some intangible "something" about Evangeline Lily...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

5) I don't know how significant the heiroglyphs inside the Dharma stations are or on the numbers are. Could just be a motif they copied from what they saw around the island, or even something they were already using as part of their general New Age/Hippy-Dippy approach to the world.

6) I was thinking the same thing WRT to Richard, eye-liner and the Egyptians (or perhaps a pre-Egyptian civilzation that influenced the kingdom on the Nile.)

7) The Dharma food drops were accompanied by weird noises and a bright light. More time travel? Was the food dropping from a plane flying over the island in the 1970s and landing in the 21st century?

8) I don't think the war Widmore was talking about involves the events of the 1970s. He said "a war is coming". Although he knows that the exit from the wheelhouse ends in the Tunisian desert and that objects moving through it can travel in time, I don't think he knows much beyond what he gleaned from Faraday's research about the potential for time travel. I think he wants the island for its power, and that he's expecting a war in the present or the near future. He already knows how the war in the 1970s ended - Dharma wiped out and the bodies dumped in a mass grave.

9) Speaking of that - I'd say that militates against Our Heroes staying permanently in the past and aging normally into the future from there. Unless the past can be changed, Sawyer, Jack and the rest don't have a lot of time left before Ben Linus leads the Others against Dharma and slaughters the lot of them. There was no indication of a third group of people running around the jungle that were not "Others" or "Losties".

10) I wonder if there is some mechanism that prevents people from landing in times/places where they are apt to run into themselves, or at least staying there very long. Thus Sawyer sees Kate and Claire, but not himself, and Ben doesn't flash back to the Dharma site with the others when the plane arrives over the island. Or maybe he doesn't do so because he isn't supposed to be there.

11) Another possibility is that - contrary to what Desmond believes and what Farady mostly seems to believe - the past actually can be changed. But only under very specific circumstances. Farady has already suggested that Desmond is somehow immune to the island's normal rules, and Eloise has said that the island is not through with Desmond.

I would posit that Dharma's ill-advised screwing around with teleporters (and accidentally with time-travel) opened up a very nasty can of worms that has been causing problems ever since. (For instance, I'm not entirely convinced that the Black Rock - nice to see the name-check from Sawyer - was shipwrecke 200 or so years ago. Or that the giant statue and other artificats are necessarily native to the island.)

The island is now trying to fix said problem. To do that, it needed the Oceanic 6 for some reason, and arranged to have them arrive. Had Ben not been working against the O6 in general and Locke in particular, they might have discovered the Orchid quite early on and fixed whatever the problem was. (Assuming that Jack and Locke could work together.)

Of course, things didn't work out that way. Locke didn't push the button and Desmond had to engage the fail-safe - there was a giant flash (!) the hatch was destroyed and the island was unmasked, making it possible for outsiders to readily find it. That sent things further off the rails.

By the time Locke makes it to the Orchid outsiders are threatening the island and it has to be moved. Instead of moving it himself, as he's supposed to, he let's Ben fool him (again) with that story about never being allowed to return. I believe that the island would have allowed Locke to return, but would have tried to stop Ben. (At that time. The change circumstances by the time the O6 returned may have changed "the island's" plans. Not sure I buy the island itself as sentient entity, but it is a convenient way to refer to whatever being, group or force is manipulating the lives of the O6 and the rest of the Losties.)

Now the O6 are back, and divided between past and future. I think this is because fixing the timeline and putting everything back on track will require people working from both ends - Faraday in particular and probably the rest of the Jack & Sawyer's people (I assume they will reconcile at some point) working on the construction of the Orchid and the time experiments, Locke, Sun and the others (and ultimately Desmond, who I believe will show up in the "present") doing whatever needs to be done in the future. (Probably defending the place from both Widmore and Ben, but I'm sure there will be a lot more to it than that.)

I really look forward to the day when I can sit down with all the DVDs and just watch a marathon of three or four episodes a day until I've watched the whole thing from beginning to end. I have a feeling this show will repay repeated viewings, the way Babylon 5 does, because rewatching the early episodes in light of the later ones will reveal foreshadowing that couldn't have been seen earlier.

Can't wait to see how they wrap this up. What they've done so far this season gives me every confidence that they're going to pull off a very satisfying ending to the whole thing, now that they have a definite end point to work towards and don't have to stretch things out because the network wants to keep the show on as long as possible. I don't expect every question to be wrapped up neatly with a bow, because that's kinda boring, but I expect the major ones to be answered, and I expect that enough clues will be left about some others to work out at least one (and possibly several) possible answer(s) to some of the others. (Again a la B5.)

Regards,

Joe

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Oh, I fully understand the locations, I just don't think they match up well (though could be the "best the fx guys could do").

Here's the first statue:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/lo...c/Footboat.jpg

And the second:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/lo...urToedFull.jpg

Also note that the second statue was sighted while Sawyer and crew were at the Orchid Station (the well just outside it), and while the statue is obviously large, it appeared at least somewhat close to them. The first statue, on the otherhand, seems to be almost surrounded by large hills/mountains.

All I'm saying is the two locations don't match, but I'm willing to let it slide as a result of special effects and time constraints. Still, I think it's fair to say the possibility is there for two distinct statues...

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I haven't noticed this discussed: How on earth did Sawyer (and Jin, Miles and Daniel) end up as Dharma employees?

Jon

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the DVDs, but have been enjoying the late Sunday night broadcasts of S1 (which just ended). Of course one runs into some inconsistencies (like Charlie claiming he couldn't swim in the 2nd or 3rd episode when that Red Shirt woman drowned.) but fun stuff overall.

--
H

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Some great feedback and insight here (as usual). You guys are the smartest TV watcher-people around! :D

My question now is...what is the point of the show? I dont mean that in a negative way, but originally, it seemed, that one of the main points of the show was for the heroes to get off the island. Then is was to get back on. Now I am kinda lost (pun intended) as to what the overall goal of the story is.

Love the show...just not sure where it is going.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
We saw Sawyer stop Richard Alpert and the Others from attacking the Dharma Initiative in retribution for killing the people who had a bag over Amy's head. We can assume they were soon accepted into the community over the next two weeks they were given and eventually were given jobs.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I think that Locke is in the present, but Sun and Sayid both flashed to the past along with the rest of the O6 (now O5). We should find out in the next episode.

With the three years passing until they reunited neither group has "gained time" on the other.

The purge led by Ben doesn't happen for another 15 years (1992). See The Purge - Lostpedia
(The vision of Horace Godspeed told Locke it occurred 12 years earlier in the episode Cabin Fever.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks