What's new

Lost: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
or maybe once you leave the Island, it must make a concious effort to manipulate things (like keeping people alive: Jack, Michael), whereas when you're on the Island, it's natural aura is healing.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
As much as I enjoyed the episode, Locke's reversal to his old extremely insecure self was pretty jarring. Of course ending up back in a wheelchair has something to do with this. If anything, the writers put him back in there precisely to justify the helplessness that would drive him to suicide. Still, I felt it was a bit overdone, especially the Helen bit.

Locke has been an extremely confident man for much of the time spent on the Island. He was unquestionably one of the leaders, and his ability to command a following is real. But when he came back, it's as if he learned nothing.

YES, I understand that returning to civilization would bring back old demons. I am just taking issue with the extent of his regression.

--
H

John Swarce

Second Unit

Interesting take on this, Holadem. Do you think there is a possibility that no one actually dies on this island and they can be resurrected at a later time? Or could it be that the Island picks and chooses who is resurrected and who stays dead? I'm thinking on the lines of Charlie's appearances to Hurley (although I still think that that is a hallucination), and the reappearance of Rousseau's team on the beach after confronting Smokie. I really don't want Paulo and Nikki back in the mix, though!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

--John

John Swarce

Second Unit

Interesting take on this, Holadem. Do you think there is a possibility that no one actually dies on this island and they can be resurrected at a later time? Or could it be that the Island picks and chooses who is resurrected and who stays dead? I'm thinking on the lines of Charlie's appearances to Hurley (although I still think that that is a hallucination), and the reappearance of Rousseau's team on the beach after confronting Smokie. I really don't want Paulo and Nikki back in the mix, though!

--John

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is whats really starting to eat at me even though i love this show.

I need to know what this island is, i've had enough of the speculation.
The island is a living entity that can choose who lives and dies and can also bring people back to life, can heal terminal cancer, paralysis, and can reach out off island and keep people from killing themself?

I want to know before this season is over.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
John:

I agree with the rest of your post, but didn't find this at all disturbing. Locke is super-confident on the island for two reasons - initially because all his survivalist research and training for his walkabout genuinely gave him skills that made him much more suited to life on the island than any of the others. That and the immediate miracle of regaining the use of his legs. If something like that doesn't make you feel special, I don't know what does. Then there is all the "you are special, you are the leader" propaganda that he's heard from The Others and from Ben.

But once off the island he's on much shakier ground, not only because he is back in the wheelchair and dependent on others (small "o"
), but because of his conversation with Widmore. For all Locke's intelligence, skill and natural leadership ability he's often he has always been naive about human nature - easily manipulated and conned. Widmore makes a convincing case that Ben conned Locke into letting him leave the island instead of Locke, and that by doing so Locke put the island at risk - the very thing he was trying to avoid. That has to make Locke wonder how many of "his" other decisions were the result of Ben's subtle (and not-so-subtle) manipulation. (Hint: a hell of a lot of them.)

Then there's the matter of Abbadon, working for Widmore. The man who sent him on his walkabout in the first place. If Ben played Locke like a fiddle when they were on the island, Locke's very presence on the island was the result of Widmore manipulating him. Knowing that will undermine your self-confidence.

By the time he gets to Sayid Locke has a tough time making a case for returning to the island because he now doubts so much of what he "knew" about the place. The only thing he has left to fall back on is his own sense of destiny - and that's not enough to convince the others. Finally there is the warning from Richard that he might have to die to accomplish his mission, followed by Christian's flat statement that he would.

Locke was close to suicide more than once before he went to the island. Back on the mainland, back in the wheelchair, believing that his destiny was to send the others back, but not to reach the promised land himself, Locke may have unconciously sabotaged his own efforts to recruit Jack, Kate, et. al. Then he would have an excuse to kill himself for a "noble" cause, and not out of sheer despair.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards,

Joe

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Not to mention, he was pretty close to offing himself once or twice back on the island as well.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Locke isn't always super-confident on the Island. remember the time the light turned on in the Hatch, and also the time he threw Ben's eggs in New Otherton. he gets his confidence from his faith in the Island but anytime that faith is questioned, he has nothing else, and he collapses.

One thing i'm wondering is what Ben's end game is. what is he hoping to accomplish? i'm pretty sure he's not going to be able to lead the Others again, no matter how persuasive he is. does he really want to butt heads with The Island, the one thing he probably shouldn't manipulate? or is he trying to destroy it out of revenge?

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I am still thinking about Ben's offhand joke on the plane about his mother teaching him to read. As most things Lost, these comments are often placed for a reason.

As most of you know, Ben's mother died during his birth (near Portland). Dad (aka Skeletor :D) takes young Ben to the island where he sees his mother's ghost, which 'leads' him outside the security fence and to Richard. Given this, I suppose on the island it is possible his mother did teach him to read.

I agree Locke has been manipulated the whole series, first by his father. Then add Christian and Widmore telling him he's been played by Ben, and I see how that would bring back a lot of the insecurities. He clearly doesn't not trust Widmore any more than he trusts Ben. He does trust the island. So, while off the island, with no one to trust, with the O6 not going along with the return plan, Locke probably saw the 'sacrifice' as appealing.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

I really hope and think we will get a BIG payoff for the finale in what the island is. If you look at the biggest clue, I keep coming back to the show where they are in the cabin and Locke hears a voice say "help me".

This I took as a major clue or hint that either the island is alive or a form of life that is being held there, sort of like a prisoner by the others being forced to do things. Sure, just one of many theories I know, but there is something more to that "help me" phrase I am sure that will be told in next season. Also, I think Locke will play a role in setting the island free if that theory is true.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
tony, i read some of the producers comments that say u'll never get a full on explicit explanation that is very raw and easy clue to exactly what the mystery(ies) will be. it'll always be subtle and onscreen if u look for it and pay attention.

besides, The X-Files DID do that explicit explanation of what the whole "mystery" element of the entire series is, both in season7 as well as the series finale in a 2 hour TELL ALL. the result(s): disappointed fans.

the answers will NEVER ever satisfy what the anticipation or hype surrounding what what fans think the answer means to them. the best way a series can end is to satisfy them by doing what is best for the story.

i'm thinking of how Six Feet Under ended. it's an extremely fitting conclusion that SERVES the story that doesn't insult the fan's intelligence.

likewise, i'm hoping that's how Lost will end, instead of laying ALL of its cards on the table, i'd be extremely disappointed if they ever did that.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Pretty good episode, even if it didn't include many crazy moments.

My big question, though, is what ever happened to Horace's wife Olivia?
Olivia Goodspeed - Lostpedia

She was with Horace when they were at Ben's birth, and she was on the island after Ben had came. I'm assuming young Ben has yet to arrive since surely Sawyer, Juliet, etc. & the producers would have made a big deal about it if they had met him during the 3 years they were on the island.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It think we're setting up the "war" so to speak for the Island. Locke is there to lead the others, to help get them victory over the Dharma initiative. And everyone else is there and will be for the Dharma initiative it appears. And the person who they were saying "heaven help it, don't let him return" depends on the perspective; keeping Locke off the Island is probably good for the Dharma initiative folks, keeping Ben from returning is probably an assist to the Others.. or something like that, still working out the kinks on that theory

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Seems like this show remembered what made it compelling in the first place: the characters. You can jump about in time all you damn well please - for me the last two episodes have been the most enjoyable Lost in a while. The problem with the dense mythology episodes is that, while they give viewers a lot to chew on, they tend to dispense with character development. I think that the show loses a lot of its appeal when Daniel only opens his mouth to deliver exposition about the rules of time travel, and Sawyer only argues over where they should head next. It was refreshing to see these characters sit and dwell upon what the hell has been happening, plus the fact they're now stuck where they don't belong. Of course Lost has never really allowed its characters to dwell upon anything too much or for too long, but this just felt right.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Ben would have to already be on the Island, right now it's about 1977 and Ben is probably about 10(?). If he hasn't been born yet or even just born, he would be too young.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Well, Ben was born in the early 60s, according to the site, which seems to imply to me that he is already on the island. But you make a good point about them probably making a big deal about meeting him, though maybe they did, and we'll see it in future flashbacks.... or flashforwards.. or whatever you want to call them. :D

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more. One person's "slow" is another person's "compelling". These past few episodes have been choice. Character is the reason. It was nice to see both Sawyer and Juliet having something to DO for once, something that fit their characters. As for Daniel, I think it will be interesting to see where he ended up three years after landing in with Dharma. (We saw him at the beginning of the season, but I'm sure we'll see how he got around the scientists.)

Too many smoke monsters, time jumps, gunshots and pseudonyms, and the brain gets scrambled. Oh, and how about that statue? That was a great moment. It reminded me of an ancient Egyptian statue - tall and golden. That would tie in (thematically - not necessarily literally) with the ankh necklace around (Amy's dead husband) Paul's neck, and of course the hieroglyphic-style writing in the station. Something ancient, for sure.

I love the way they are handling the time-travel in this show, and how now they are slowing down on that a bit. It's very novel. From a writer's perspective, it's the perfect way to fill in the story of the island. At any given moment there is only ONE TIMELINE that we, the audience, must wrap our heads around. The confusing thing is perhaps who jumps in at what point in that timeline, but in most other time-travel shows ("Heroes" of course comes to mind), people change things, and multiple time lines ensue, and the writers lose all control of the narrative.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
That reminds me, didn't someone already on the show have a similar necklace to that? I could've sworn I've seen it before, but can't remember.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoying the episodes...Sucks we have to wait two weeks to see the quandry LaFluer...Whoops..I mean Sawyers in.

My one main nitpick for these past two episodes. Where are the other Oceanic survivors (ie Rose & her husband, etc). They have to be stuck on the island in 1971 also. I wish they would have had one of the group asking where the others are. They were only looking for Locke and the others who left the island.

Also, can we assume that Locke and the survivors from the other plane crash are also in 1971?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks