What's new

Lost: Season 5 (2 Viewers)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What about the kids and other survivors who have been abducted by the others? Are any of their parents still alive? And why aren't the other survivors asking about them? I am assuming its a story plot they just don't want to deal with.

Another thing. While Richard says he is never in charge. I can't see him attacking the Oceanic survivors like they did when they first crashed. He only attacked the military people in the 50's because they attacked them. He seems like the type that only attacks when provoked. And from the first and second season of Lost. The Others were very aggressive.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Todd, we have learned several things about the abductees:

1) When Ben saw the plane crash, the first thing he did was order Ethan and Goodwin to infiltrate the survivors and make lists of names. Presumably this was to determine who had survived. Meanwhile Mikhail gathered information on the survivors. From this info came Jacob's list.

2) Jacob's list only contains those who are "good". Presumably this relates to innocence/purity, as anyone with a history of violence or a criminal record is not on the list. The exception appears to be Mr. Eko - maybe because he had seemed to have repented. However, when Mr. Eko wouldn't apologise for his sins he was killed by the black smoke.

3) The Others think they are giving the abductees a "better life". They do not harm them and don't seem to be holding them against their will.

4) Other than Ethan attempting to kill Charlie, the Others have not injured or killed any of the survivors unless provoked.

Ultimately, we still don't know the purpose of Jacob's list - however, it might be incredibly simple. If it's true that Ben could never truly communicate with Jacob, then it's possible he made the whole notion of a list up. Maybe he just wanted fresh recruits for the Others - new people for him to manipulate, and children to continue his work. He might have told everyone including Richard that the people on Jacob's list were "special" when they were not.

As for why nobody is asking about the abductees... well, aside from Walt the only people to have been abducted were from the tail section (Cindy and the two kids, plus a dozen or so background folk). Bernard and Jack are the only characters left who've ever met the abductees (besides Locke, of course, but he knows they're OK). I doubt they've forgotten about them, but there's little they can do since the Others took them all to the Temple.

And as for why the Others were aggressive in the first couple of seasons... I don't actually think they were (besides Ethan, who wasn't following the plan) but I guess you could put it down to Ben's leadership. He may not kill but he obviously has no problem with inflicting pain to get what he wants.

Personally I think we'll get more answers to this in the final season, which is supposed to be all about the Others and the history of the island itself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They did kill Scott back in Homecoming from S1. I know they were trying to show how serious they were about getting Claire back but that was still pretty ruthless and unnecessary.

Goodwin was acting on his own but he definitely didn't have to kill Nathan in The Other 48 Days.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

And don't forget the kidnapping of Walt off the raft, and subsequent firebombing of said raft.

I think it's safe to say that the Others are not all just smiles and self defense.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah are ya kidding? Ethan was ready to pop Locke just because Locke found himself at the wrong place and the wrong time (when the small Niegrian plame crashed.) As I said earlier, they are a dangerous fanatical cult. Even Juliette, a relative newcommer has grown disturbingly casual about killing in a short few years.

--
H

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thats whats confusing. Richard really only seems to be violent when confronted with violence....And even then he was willing to make a deal. He is not stupid. A commercial airliner crashing on the island is a lot different than an army team landing to do nuclear testing. I am interested in seeing how Richards role in things pans out.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so I was wrong about that - there are clearly occasions where the Others have deliberately killed survivors without provocation. However, I think these are exceptions to the rule. I think they see themselves as a peaceful group of individuals despite occasionally turning a blind eye to murder. Of course, that still makes them murderers! I think Ben chose Ethan and Goodwin to infiltrate the survivors because he knew they'd be capable of murder should their plans fail. We have since learned that Ethan was acting entirely on his own when he kidnapped Claire and then murdered Scott in an attempt to fix his mistake. As for Goodwin, he was protecting his identity when he killed Nathan. I guess the people who aren't on the list are seen as expendable, to a certain extent.

The Others only shot at Sawyer because he drew his gun first, and it wasn't a fatal wound. The bomb was meant to immobilise, not kill (otherwise, why not just shoot them?) and Walt was not harmed. And yes, Juliet has killed without hesitation, but I think this is more to do with her character than anything else.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I thought this past week's episode was one of the best so far! It was truly engaging...

I'm wondering about Jin preventing Danielle from going down into the Monster's lair. I was under the impression that all though they are time jumping they can't change what has happened or will happen. So wouldn't it mean that if Jin hadn't been there Danielle would've tried to go down the hole to save her friend?

BTW, the arm ripping off and Locke's compound fracture sure were gruesome! I literally had nightmares that night about corpses floating in water missing their limbs which I attributed to that episode
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is both simpler and more complex than this. The reason that nothing they do in the past has any effect on the future is that they have always been part of the timeline, i.e. when Claire was giving birth back in the first season, future-Sawyer was actually witnessing it. Had future-Sawyer chosen to reveal himself at that moment, Claire and Kate would have seen him. But he did not, because that's just the way events played out. Fate, destiny... call it what you will; something within Sawyer stopped him calling out to Kate - that's why we never saw him in that scene in the first place. Same deal with Rousseau... Jin was always there in 1988 when she and her crew were shipwrecked, and he's the reason Rousseau survived. Maybe his vanishing act even fed her paranoia!

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
I was rewatching the last episode (TPiD) the other day on my laptop and using headphones to listen to it. During the scene on the beach when Montand is listening to the "numbers" transmission over his radio, the recorded voice caught my attention because it sounded awfully familiar. The first 4 numbers are a bit garbled but the last 2 sound like one of our 815'ers.

I'm 99.9% sure the voice is

Hurley's

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Arild

Supporting Actor
He also told Ana-Lucia that Nathan "was not a good person". For all we know, he could have been a serial rapist or something. The Others always seem to know everyone's deepest darkest secrets.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Bob_Chase said:
I was rewatching the last episode (TPiD) the other day on my laptop and using headphones to listen to it. During the scene on the beach when Montand is listening to the "numbers" transmission over his radio, the recorded voice caught my attention because it sounded awfully familiar. The first 4 numbers are a bit garbled but the last 2 sound like one of our 815'ers.

I'm 99.9% sure the voice is

Hurley's

As have I...and I can say so too!!!

so does this mean...

Does that mean that Hurley is the one that started the numbers initially??

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator

I think it means he started the "beacon" that brought others (himself included) to the island. As far as the origin of that particular sequence of numbers (Valenzetti equation?), that mystery is still in play.

An ultra-cool revelation nonetheless.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I listened to that part of the episode again and I can understand how people think that it's Hurley's voice but I don't know if I'm convinced that is. Although if it is an easter egg, it's not like they would want to make it super obvious that it's Hurley's voice either and it definitely seems like a Lost-style gag.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I seriously doubt it. Hurley has done everything he could possibly do to distance himself from the numbers, and he hates them. Why would he set up a recording of them and set up himself to learn them originally?

To me the voice on the radio sounded like the monotone voice we heard in season 1 saying "Iteration 1-2-1-4-5" in between Rousseau's message.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks