What's new

Looney Tunes Volume 4: 11/14/06 (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I couldn't agree more,since we have to wait a whole year for the next set
this set is let down,I was hoping I was wrong when I first heard about
a whole speedy dvd , what a bummer !!!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

As I said, we attribute all the news or release information posted to the site to a TV show. We've been associating these cartoons to the Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour for over 3 years. Nowhere do we refer to this as "The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour: Volume 4"

We're covering this because 1) these shorts were incorporated into multiple TV shows 2) Warner Bros releases this through their TV division 3) most people saw these on TV 4) the sets have won TV-DVD awards. If you don't feel we should be covering these then I don't care. This is brought up EVERY time one of these collections is announced and I don't care to debate it any more. We're covering them, and we're doing it the same way we've done it for years.

Gord

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

To each his own I guess, but I'm really looking forward to this set. I'm not a big fan of Speedy either, but the shorts they've mentioned so far are some of his best. I'm very pleased with the Tashlin disc, and am really hoping that Nasty Quacks is on there. I've got to disagree about most of the good Bugs already being out. Knighty Knight Bugs is, in my opinion, one of the very best. It's my understanding that there will be several more Freleng shorts and a doc on him as well. I'd be thrilled if the whole disc was Sam vs. Bugs.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I vehemently disagree. It's important to separate these classic shorts from simple TV animation - and WB is guilty of perpetuating this themselves by releasing the sets through their TV division and calling the shorts "episodes".

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am assuming we don't know which cartoons ( Except for Knighty Night Bugs) are included in the set . We just
know which characters . While Speedy was from the 50's, the other characters had cartoons in the 30's and 40's . I think it is too soon to complain about what is in this set until the list of cartoons is released.
For all we know Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips could be included.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

John, according to Beck & Friedwald's Guide, 47 Speedys were produced from 1953 - 1980. The majority of which were produced in the '60's which also includes one from '79 and another from '80.

I'm thrilled with what has been announced thus far. The inclusion of lesser known or less popular titles just means a longer run for the series -- and fans of these shorts should be ecstatic about that.

Herb.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Gee I'm actually sorry I posted the topic incorrectly, I can't redit my original post header to read "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Vol 4 to be released November 14th."...I simply copied and pasted Gord's original TVshowsonDVD headline for the Golden Collection volume 4 release, and instead of a friendly conversation about these classic shorts, the same old TV vs. movies debate gets restarted.

Anyway, how long before we'll know what actual titles will comprise this set?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well, the title of the origional article can be what's confusing things on this.

the title of article is "7/25 Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour, The More Gold coming this November".
but no mention of comedy hr in the article unless i missed it, ...possible.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Last year, tvshowsondvd reported the list the same day they announced the date and cover art. The year before they got Volume 2's contents before release date and in June. There seems to be no consistency in data flow but hopefully it will not be long.

Thank you Gord for reporting this at your site. I am glad you do it but I always wondered why tvshowsondvd have not done a similar thing with Disney and Harveytoons (seems like something is happening in October, but looking at the site, it seems like the Harveytoons Show is missing from the library).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like the Speedy set will include some of the Daffy Duck ones that Warners farmed out after they closed their animation studio in the early 60's.
I hope not as they were truly terrible. Still lets wait until the titles are announced.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You've made your point, time to move on and talk about the boxset coming out. Also, I merged the two threads.

Crawdaddy

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I have no intention of spending good money for DVDs containing those shitty Speedy Gonzales-Daffy Duck cartoons. Those are a sacrilege to the reputation of what we think of as a "Warner Bros. Cartoon."

Which reminds me -- I like my Daffy Duck daffy. I didn't like it when they changed him from the looniest of the looney to Bugs Bunny's nemesis in the early '50s. Daffy Duck is funny when he's nuts, but not so funny when he's mean and cantankerous. But as Speedy Gonzales' nemesis, the cartoons reached a new low in unfunniness.

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
Although the disc themes sound odd, I'll have to wait until the complete list of the cartoons included is released before I can form any kind of opinion.

But a disc full of nothing but Tashlin cartoons? Sold!

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
As usual, there seems to be no love at all for any cartoons on the DVDs that come from the '50s.

All alone yet again, it seems...

For what it's worth, here's the cartoons that look like they're included this set.

BUGS BUNNY
"Rabbit Romeo"
"Roman Legion-Hare"
"Forward March Hare"
"Sahara Hare"
"Rabbit Hood"
"To Hare is Human"
"Knighty Knight Bugs"
"Operation: Rabbit"
"The Grey-Hounded Hare"
"8 Ball Bunny"
5 others

FRANK TASHLIN
"The Stupid Cupid"
14 others

SPEEDY GONZALES
"Tabasco Road"
"West of the Pesos"
"Chili Weather"
"Here Today, Gone Tamale"
"The Wild Chase"
"The Pied Piper of Guadalupe"
"Mexicali Shmoes"
8 others

CATS
"The Night Watchman"
"Swallow the Leader"
"Dough Ray Me-Ow"
"A Peck o' Trouble"
"Feline Frame-Up"
"Kiss Me Cat"
"Mouse Mazurka"
"Peck Up Your Troubles"
"Conrad the Sailor"
6 others

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I'm quite a big fan of the 50's shorts myself, especially ones by McKimson, which puts me very much in the minority. Too bad some more of McKimson's Daffy & Porky cartoons from the 50's won't be on this set ("Design for Leaving" and "Muscle Tussle" come to mind).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, in all honesty, the 1950s were the years Chuck Jones finally bloomed into full force. You can take pretty much any Jones cartoon and its great... most of Freleng's and McKimson's work is teriffic, too. On the other hand, it was Tex Avery, Frank Tashlin, and Bob Clampett who helmed the best cartoons in the 1930s and 1940s.

I don't know why anyone is jumping on Mr. Lacey. Isn't he the first one to announce the lineup on these sets?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely be getting this, and will be very happy with it. However, if there's not at least one of the 'controversial' cartoons hidden away somewhere, I'll consider it a major disappointment.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I've always quite liked McKimson's cartoons, too.

As for the set leaning too much toward later cartoons, I seem to recall that in the early days, before set 1 had been released, it had been mentioned that many of the 30's and 40's cartoons still needed significant restoration, which would mean that the sets would be skewed in favor of the better conditioned 50's cartoons, at least in the earlygoing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks