What's new

Looney Tunes Volume 4: 11/14/06 (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, when I say controversial, I'm refering to cartoons like Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips or Coal Black & de Sebben Dwarfs. The cartoons you mentioned are ones with a scene or two that might qualify, but they're in a different league controversy wise. I'm glad to be getting those (and hopefully they'll be uncut), but I'm still disappointed in this aspect of the set.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Since the "controversial" "Mississippi Hare" and "Southern Fried Rabbit" also appear on the Spotlight Collection, does this imply that the versions that appear on the latter are edited? ("...family appropriate and suitable for children.")

I love these Golden Collections, but one thing I miss is a notation for year and credited director, preferably on the packaging but at least on the menu. Some of these toons still have only the "Blue Ribbon" title screens, and are missing credits altogether. And I'm not the most adept at decoding small print Roman numerals.

I would really like some sort of booklet that includes title, year, all credited personnel, and a brief summary of the cartoon. Sometimes I cannot remember which cartoon is which!

I realize that this info is easily accessible elsewhere, but I think it would make these sets feel more definitive.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Argh! I just want to retire all my Looney Tunes laserdiscs! There are some great shorts there, but no "Ali Baba Bunny" or my favorite, "Chow Hound"?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

There's nothing they can do about most of the Blue Ribbon re-issues. The negatives were edited, meaning the original titles were lost forever. Some collectors have kept original prints, but they're sparse.

I really wish WB would use a booklet instead of printing on the case, too. My DVDs are kept in binders for saving space at my apartment, so I have to look it up the cartoons on DVD Spot if I forget what's on the discs. Someone made these kind of booklets for the Walt Disney Treasures, so maybe that's a good project for someone. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

This is my only complaint with these sets, no data on the shorts themselves. If they had these notations, the sets would go from amazing to perfectly amazing.

Content is just subjective to taste. I like the old shots over the new, but you can;t really call any of them crap, all though I would be tempted to on the Road Runner disc we got on the previous set;)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Supposedly, there's a rule at Warner Bros prohibiting the mentioning of Dates on anything. That's proably why no dates are mentioned anywhere.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I'm doing that at the present time, actually, for all four Golden Collections. Will post the PDFs as soon as I'm finished, which should be sometime this weekend.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Bugs Bunny Superstar is the film narrated by Orsen Welles with all per '48
cartoons that was released by UA correct? This was made prior to Turner purchasing MGM/UA .

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
How come every year like clock-work, TVSHowsonDVD always beats out everyone for the scoop on the LT sets, and then ensues the argument about TV vs. Theatrical Shorts, every year like clock-work...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I think we're already past that.

Now, here's what I've come up with in terms of a "booklet". This is the Volume 4 one. You'll notice some things missing. If anyone can help me with that, that would be nice. I used imdb.com and bcdb.com for most of the info. The Blue Ribbon data we probably won't have until the collection is out.

Get it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/taqhzj

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I still have to finish watching Volumes 2 & 3, I can never seem to just sit down and watch an entire disc straight through. Its just too much looney tunes for me at one time. But anyway these sets are great and as usual Warner is doing a great job with those extras. I still wish they had released them all in chronological order sets, but I guess that was too much to wish for. Bring on Volume 4!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

If I'm playing a feature for friends or family, I'll run a cartoon or two as a pre-show. For the few TV seasons I have, as well as short cartoons, I never like to go through them too fast in fear of seeing too much new stuff at one time.

By the way, here's the Blue Ribbon cartoons on Volume 4 (just the ones re-released without credits):

Now That Summer is Gone
You're an Education (UCLA has a nitrate workprint)
Little Pancho Vanilla
The Stupid Cupid (UCLA has a nitrate workprint)
The Night Watchman (UCLA has an original nitrate print with titles)
The Aristo-Cat (UCLA has a nitrate workprint)

I'm not sure if the workprints would have original titles, though. The workprint used to restore the lost footage to Have You Got Any Castles (Volume 2) didn't have original titles.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm still hoping that some day Warner may release the Bugs Bunny cartoons alone. They're the only ones I'm really interested in, and therefore I haven't been able to justify paying the price.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Except for last year the spotlight collection featured the Bugs cartoons and one other disk. They have a $26 list price. You can probably find them for $15 on sale. While not just Bugs, they are much cheaper then the 4 disc Golden collection sets. Like a TV show I don't think Warner would put out a Best of or a Bugs only set until the Golden collection is finished which is many years from now if they continue to sell.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I usually see the 2-disc compilations for $14.99. However, there's a lot of gems that you miss out on without the 4-disc sets. The fourth disc in volume two has to be the finest set of cartoons out of all the collections so far (it's the one with What's Opera Doc, Book Revue, and A Corny Concerto).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks