What's new

Looney Tunes Volume 4: 11/14/06 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6124

I find it strange that TVShowsOnDVD continues to report on theatrical cartoons. I love the site, but with this it perpetuates the disservice to these classic short films, especially filing the news under "The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour" - which is completely false, as that TV show is not contained on the discs.

As if to add a bit of insult, Gord writes in the above-linked article:

Then goes on to mention the new direct-to-DVD release. And the Golden Collection shorts are a TV release because...?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Why is tvshowsondvd calling this the "Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour"?!

That was the name of a Saturday morning compilation show, which is not what this set is.

This DVD set of theatrical cartoons is entitled The Looney Tunes Golden Collection.

But yes, good news. The set is eagerly awaited! :)

edit: you go Paul! :)

JohnPM

Second Unit
Did they actually make fifteen Speedy Gonzales cartoons? I'm just wondering if that entire Disc three will be devoted to that one character ... Also will be interested in how many more of the black-and-white Porkys will be included in this set, as they were definetely a highlight of Volume Three. I assume the "cat" cartoons in Disc four will include Sylvester...

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

I agree with you that the Looney Tunes shorts are definitely theatrical films, and I am quite pleased that they have been moved to the appropriate section of this forum. I can understand Gord and David's rationale for mentioning them on TVShowsOnDVD though. The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour will most likely never be released in the format of that show. The people who liked the show (and its predacessors), however, can still see the shorts they loved in this different, more appropriate format. For this reason, they feel that their readers might be interested in hearing the news. Besides, I'm glad they post it because it seems like they always have the Looney Tunes scoop before anybody else.

I'm as thrilled with this news as I have been the last few years at this time. I'm especially excited about the Tashlin disc. I slso expect that we will see a lot of Bugs v. Sam and a Freleng doc on disc 1.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Couldn't answer you for sure, but a BCDB.com search on "Speedy Gonzales" turns up 56 cartoons.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great news! I look forward to these collections each year. With this release roughly a quarter of the Looney Tunes will have been released.

Getting some Speedy is definitely appreciated as I always had a fondness for the little rodent. Perhaps we'll get some positive news about some of the "banned" cartoons being included as extras here as well.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

I agree ... and if the logic is "most people saw these originally on TV," then he should report on "The Wizard of Oz" and old monster movies!

But I'm so old, I remember ABC's "The Bugs Bunny Show," which I never missed on Tuesday nights during its two-year run (1960-62). So, if he has to relate classic Warner Bros. cartoons to a TV show, I'd prefer that one.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Finally! I've waiting for news about this! I knew we were due to hear about it and I've been checking every day for any info on volume 4.

Anyways, looking forward to this volume as I do every year. Can't get enough Looney Tunes. Though I'm also hoping Warner Bros. will release a WWII era collection as well, no matter how politically incorrect they may seem now. They're part of history.

By the way, I also hope we'll be spared the Whoopi Goldberg spiel this time around. Man that got annoying.

[edit: It's kind of funny how we get into the whole "These are theatrical releases not TV shows!" thing everytime one of these volume's details are announced. Happens every year. And while I agree, it's kind of irrelevant, if not redundant to get into that again. I know many of you want people to be educated about this misconception, but if people are buying these collections, I would think the DVD's would speak to this point themselves.]

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

We associate everything to a TV show, but if you read the article you'd see that we call it The Looney Tunes Golden Collection.. The original poster is the one that used the incorrect name.

And this will bring up another round of "this isn't a TV show"/"but most people saw these on TV" debates.

Gord

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in! I especially excited about the Tashlin disc.

I've been waiting for more Fogorn Leghorn since the beginning of these releases. Hopefully at some point, we'll get an entire disc of those cartoons. Personally, I would have much preferred that to the Roadrunner disc or Speedy disc, although I must admit that I love Speedy.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

With all due respect, Gord, if you feel your site should incorporate news on classic theatrical shorts, then by all means continue to do so. But don't attribute them to hackjobs like "Comedy Hour", and plainly list them as what they are.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
I don't consider it strange or a disservice at all. These cartoons may have been theatrical shorts at one time, but they gained a lot more love and admiration thanks to their showings on Televison. If anything they're as much well known if not more well known for being on TV. Besides, as long as the news is out there for those who love the shorts... who cares who supplied it?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I can say the same for all theatrical feature films released worldwide before I was born and able to see them in theaters. Are they TV releases now because of that?

I'm greatful to Gord and TVShowsOnDVD for their news. I just have a problem with the site presenting the cartoons as "The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour", as it is filed under over there.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is the first one that sounds kinda crap. speedy gonzaliz is kinda lame, most of the good bugs cartoons are already out. The Tashlin disc well be interesting, but I'd rather a Robert Clampett or Tex Avery disc, as they been a little soft served with the Chuck Jones orgy of cartoons on the previous releases.

I'm still getting it, but it well probably sit on the shelve with the Spin and Marty disney treasure set until I have the desire to watch it, as opposed to the other releases that shot straight to the top of my watching list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks