Looking to purchase floorstanding speakers soon

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by spiroH, Dec 5, 2004.

1. spiroH

spiroH Agent

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a set of floorspeakers soon. I went to a couple of places and noticed tweeter had a brand called Sapphire. I was looking to buy the lowerend model but was more impressed with the ST3 model that they had. I already have a sub in my 5.1 system that I'm looking to upgrade but I would prefer the floorstanding speakers to already have a sub. The Sapphires fit the billing nicely. Are there any DIY towers or other brands I can look at for around $800?

Thanks

2. spiroH

spiroH Agent

I wonder how the Athena AS-F2s compare to the Sapphires.

3. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I have enjoyed what I have heard of the Saphire speakers. Though I haven't had the chance to really sit down for a critical listen.

I'm not sure if the sale is still going on, but I just bought a pair of Mirage OM-9 towers for $699 this past Friday at Tweeter. The speakers are normally $1,299. The Black High Gloss color are the only ones on sale, not the cherry.

I am absolutely in love with these speakers so far. My system consists of the following:

Mirage OM-9's (Front)
    Mirage Omni CB (Center)
    Mirage Omni 60's (Rear)
    SVS 25-31PCi (Sub tuned to 22Hz)

The OM-9's just replaced my Omni 60 bookshelves and I moved those to rear duty. Movies and games are oh so sweet! Then throwing the Yammie reciever into stereo mode for two channel music listening is wonderful. I loved my Omni bookies, and still do, but the OM-9's are just making me smile so wide right now.

4. spiroH

spiroH Agent

I listened to the Mirages but I didnt like the sound. I dont know if it was the speakers but they seemed to have an echo.

5. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

6. spiroH

spiroH Agent

Thanks. My friend had B&W CDM-7s and they were really sweet. If I can get a good deal on hem used in black I will def purchase them.

7. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

check out my third link...in Cherry.

8. spiroH

spiroH Agent

I also think I will try and listen to the swans.

9. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

You can always go to av123.com and check out hteir onix rockets! For about $799, you can buy a b-stock 750 (KILLER speakers)!

Or you can get a pair of Polk LSi9 speakers and mate it with an SVS subwoofer.

Or you can go to axiomaudio.com and check out their speakers.

I listened to the Sapphires but I didnt like the sound.

There are other speakers out there, someone else will give their 2 cents.