What's new

Amperion will soon be rolling out a 41" tower (1 Viewer)

I was in touch with Aperion Audio earlier today to inquire about any possibility for a future line of floorstanding models. Despite the great reviews for their current Intimus 5.1 bookshelf system, I have questioned whether it can truly compete with beefier systems that include floorstand models. Whether it be Axiom, Rockets, B&W, Paradigm, etc. it seems that most in this forum believe there are better systems out there for the money.

Having said this, it appears that Aperion is rolling out a new tower speaker in a few days, and they sent me a preview page (from which I have copied the specs below without the attached photo).

The new towers look great, but I'm wondering if (at $599 apiece) they are worth the cost. Essentially Amperion has combined their Intimus 522 bookshelf with a S8 subwoofer and 150 watt driver, all within a 41" tower. Thus when you purchase the front pair, you inherently get two 8" subs, with each one mirroring the other and firing outward to each side, away from the video source. The 1" tweeter and 5 1/4" midrange woofer are toward the top of the 41", 57 lb. towers. Overall the combined drivers produce a frequency response of 30 - 20K. Perhaps it's more favorable to have two 8" subs, however I'm inclined to believe the money would be better spent on one 12" sub with either the original bookshelves on stands, or another line altogether. (I say this reluctantly, because I really have been impressed with Amperion's customer service, and the professional and/or customer reviews seem to back this up).

My gut is telling me that for the near $1200 investment for these two new towers, I could pursue Axiom's M60ti with a sub, or the M80ti without a sub, and still reach those frequencies with far more drivers in the midrange levels. Amperion claims that the diurial technology eliminates the need for additional capacitors, however I am simply not knowlegable enough to feel secure with this opinion.

Here's an exerpt from the file sent to me from Aperion -sorry I was unable to attach the photo, however it will be hitting their website within the week:

The 522D-PT’s are available for pre-order right now. If you would like to place your order, simply call us at 1-866-APERION. .

Features:
· Power Tower Design With 8”, 150-Watt Built-In Subwoofer
· DiAural Crossover Technology
· 1” HDF Dual Composition Cabinet
· 5 ¼" Midrange Woofer
· 1" Ferrofluid-Filled Soft Dome Tweeter
· 8” Long Throw Woofer
· 150 watt High Power Amp
· Magnetically Shielded
· Multi-way Binding Posts

Power Tower Specifications:

Price: $599/Each; $1,198/Pair
Dimensions: 41.5” H x 9.75” W x 12.5” D
Weight (each): 57 lbs.
Sensitivity: 88dB
Nominal Impedance: 6-8 Ohms
Amp Power (Continuous): 150 Watts
Amp Power (Maximum): 180 Watts
Frequency Response: 30 Hz to 20 kHz
Recommended Power: 50 - 150 Watts Per Channel
Enclosure Type: Ported, 1” HDF

BrianAe

Second Unit
Hi Sean. First, it's Aperion. What are you looking to use the speaker for, HT or Music. I own the bookshelves + the 12" sub and use it mostly for home theater and it rocks. First, the sub is great. I compared it directly to the comparible HSU sub and it was the clear winner. For HT, the whole system is great due to amazing imaging and a very transparent sound stage. For music, I think the bookshelves can sound a little thin in the mid range when compared to some other speakers in a similar price range.

I think powered towers are really only for 2-channel music fans who don't want to run a sub.

At least I thought I did....for some reason I don't show anything in my "outbox"

Let me know, Brian if you did not receive one, and I'll issue it again. I had some other thoughts about Aperion, (thanks for the correction, btw) but didn't want to tie up the forum with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks