What's new

Canton Karats...Need advice and opinions, please. (1 Viewer)

Paul.X

Auditioning
Hello all, I am new here and this is my first post. I am also brand new at Home Audio.

I'll be moving soon to a new apartment and my living room dimensions are 21' long and 12'6 wide. One end opens up into a foyer (no door or doorway) a foyer that is 8'6 wide by 17'10 long.

I want to spend around 2000 to 2500 (the extra 500 being the threshold before I feel I can't spend anymore).

Basically what I am looking for is a 5.1 system and a receiver. The catch is I live with my girlfriend and she has cats, so we are looking for metal grills. The other catch is they have to look "nice". Nice is generally defined as silver or black or a combination of them (this is what I have noticed whenever she says a speaker is "pretty")

I have a friend in the home audio/video business and he has offered to get speakers for me. The ones we have sort of decided upon (at a cost of $1751) are the Canton Karat speakers...

The floorstanding speakers would be the Karat S 8 DC

The surrounds would be the Karat S 1

and the Center Channel would be the Karat CS 4

Notice the .1 in 5.1 is not there. If I go this route that will just have to wait unfortunately.

The receiver that woud power this is the Denon AVR 3805 in silver...

My total cost would be 1751 + 885, so $2636...

$2636 - no wires, no sub. I have some big reservations about spending this much money on Home Audio. I really only wanted to spend 2000ish with 2500 being the overflow limit for unforseens...

Is this overkill for a home audio noob or is a great opportunity to not have to upgrade for 15 years?

I was reading suggestions on this website and the Swans look very nice, the girlfriend approves. I also like the Rockets, the girlfriend does not. Really though I cannot get any of those at a discount. Does anyone know how they compare?

Does anyone have suggestions? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as it would help ease my mind about this purchase and the cost of it.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone that has an opinion on this.

-Paul

P.S. I am not able to post links because I am too new :frowning:
Forgot to add that I enjoy music and home theater equally, well, maybe music a tad bit more :)

Nick L

Second Unit
Here's a link to a Sound and Vision review of a Karat system. Link I would say pull the trigger on the Canton system. You won't be able to touch their sound quality for what your paying in anything else. You could probably sell the whole system on Audiogon.com for more than you'll pay for it, if you wanted. If you find you can't live without a subwoofer, you could always get a Dayton Audio 10" for around $100.

Here's a link to the Karat system on Canton's website: Link

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks