What's new

Looking for first dog - Help with forums (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
After a good amount of research I believe that I would like to buy a Doberman for my first family dog. I have read tons of stuff about them from various sites but would love to find a good forum to discuss them more. I have tried calling a bunch of Vets in my area to recommend breeders but none of them seem to care where I buy my dog. I realize that I can just google dog forums or Doberman forums but I was hoping to find a forum that someone here used and enjoyed.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would talk to a local Doberman rescue organization. They will know who the responsible breeders are in the area. Also, you can consider picking up one of the rescue dogs. The rescue org will have already evaluated the dogs temperament (i.e. good around kids, other pets, etc.). My wife and I got an Akita using this method and he has been a great pet. If the rescue organization asks you a lot of questions then that is a good sign. Many families are not ready for large, strong (physically and mentally) dogs and need to be steered to a smaller animal.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Google is your friend. Try googling "Doberman Rescue" or "Doberman Forums".

Years ago, our next door neighbors had a doberman. Once mom and dad introduced us to Diva, she was a sweetheart to us. An absolutely wonderful dog.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another avenue is to find / meet owners in your area, and ask what breeder they used. Then go meet the breeder and see if they're good or not.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown ">[/url]
I realize that I can just google dog forums or Doberman forums but I was hoping to find a forum that someone here used and enjoyed.

Thanks for any help you can provide.[/QUOTE]

Google is my friend.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Rescue organizations do their best to check the dogs termpermant before putting them up for adoption, they have experts. Especialy with a breed like doberman I would think they do due dilligence. However, many times you just don't know the history of a rescue.

There are a lot of reasons for rescue, only one of which is abuse/neglect. Sometimes dogs just don't get along with the families they live with, sometimes older folks have to get rid of dogs when they go to retirement living situations, sometimes younger people move to apartments and have to get rid of dogs.

Personally I would never get a puppy. Rescues and adoptions are almost always already house-trained. Puppies pee, poop, and puke in the house because they don't know better. Also, puppies need someone home with them 100% of the time. - Keep that in mind. One of my dogs was a purebred Adoption from a family he just didn't work out with and one was a full-on rescue (dropped off at the pound heartworm positive with suspicion of neglect). They are both precious!

I had a friend years ago who had a doberman - what a sweetheart that dog was!!!! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks