What's new

Medical Marijuana (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Since this topic is about legal medical marijuana, I’m presuming this is ok to discuss. As some may recall, I have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I like to call it a vampire’s disease as it drains you of your all your energy and spirit. It leaves the victim feeling like one of those withered husks of a human being after the vampire is finished (see Lifeforce). I’m not writing it this way be humorous. Your entire life is altered. I’d like to have seen the last Avatar a couple times more, but I did not have the will to do it. We’ve had tickets (good seats) to see touring companies of Tootsie, Hamilton, Aladdin and others. I’ve missed them all.

I applied for an received a MM card. At first I tried tinctures and edibles but they did little good but my wife was against smoking the flower since I have mild asthma and a paralyzed right diaphragm. We talked to my pulmonologist and while he was not endorsing MM, he did say smoking it was far less concerning than smoking tobacco since there is no nicotine. That eased my wife’s concerns and now I’m not smoking MM but vaping it with a dry herb vaporizer. Vaping the MM has made a significant difference. I have more energy and a better attitude.

By no means am I normal or made whole by the MM, but it is a huge help. Which is more than I can say for the medical community. No doctor I’ve encountered knows what to do about it and they don’t even attempt to research it or treat it. I’m tired of getting maladies than’t can’t be treated. They can put put in a pacemaker of sorts to stimulate the phrenic nerve to make the diaphragm move but only when both diaphragms are paralyzed.

I cringe when I remind myself that my Parkinson’s is disease that doesn’t stand still. So far, it’s just tremors in my left hand and leg, but if I live long enough that’ll change. I digress, I started this to discuss MM. Does anyone else use it? Is it helping you?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wish the best for you in finding some relief with such options. It’s legal in Virginia and D.C., where I’m at. But while it remains illegal federally it’s not something I personally can consider for any of my issues.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I can't comment on this without going into politics.

I'm just glad you're feeling better.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Since this topic is about legal medical marijuana, I’m presuming this is ok to discuss. As some may recall, I have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I like to call it a vampire’s disease as it drains you of your all your energy and spirit. It leaves the victim feeling like one of those withered husks of a human being after the vampire is finished (see Lifeforce). I’m not writing it this way be humorous. Your entire life is altered. I’d like to have seen the last Avatar a couple times more, but I did not have the will to do it. We’ve had tickets (good seats) to see touring companies of Tootsie, Hamilton, Aladdin and others. I’ve missed them all.

I applied for an received a MM card. At first I tried tinctures and edibles but they did little good but my wife was against smoking the flower since I have mild asthma and a paralyzed right diaphragm. We talked to my pulmonologist and while he was not endorsing MM, he did say smoking it was far less concerning than smoking tobacco since there is no nicotine. That eased my wife’s concerns and now I’m not smoking MM but vaping it with a dry herb vaporizer. Vaping the MM has made a significant difference. I have more energy and a better attitude.

By no means am I normal or made whole by the MM, but it is a huge help. Which is more than I can say for the medical community. No doctor I’ve encountered knows what to do about it and they don’t even attempt to research it or treat it. I’m tired of getting maladies than’t can’t be treated. They can put put in a pacemaker of sorts to stimulate the phrenic nerve to make the diaphragm move but only when both diaphragms are paralyzed.

I cringe when I remind myself that my Parkinson’s is disease that doesn’t stand still. So far, it’s just tremors in my left hand and leg, but if I live long enough that’ll change. I digress, I started this to discuss MM. Does anyone else use it? Is it helping you?
One of my wife's cousins uses it to manage almost debilitating back pain. It works for her. She's able to use edibles but has to be careful as she has an 11yo with learning issues in the house.

I *do* know that, while there's no nicotine, smoking marijuana still isn't that good for you (some say as bad or worse than cigarettes) as there are still the tars and other toxic gases. I've no idea if a dry herb vaporizer removes some of that ancillary hazard or not, but whatever works is what I'd go for.

Here are a couple of articles on Parkinson's that might be helpful... this first recommends regular exercise, which is likely an issue with your CFS - and you may already know the information in these:

This one's about getting/adding flavonoids to your diet as a possible help:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
One of the real issues with medical marijuana at this point is even if it’s prescribed by a doctor, most employers will still terminate you if it shows up on a drug test.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One of the real issues with medical marijuana at this point is even if it’s prescribed by a doctor, most employers will still terminate you if it shows up on a drug test.
Fortunately, that’s not an issue for me since I’m retired. Had I acquired CFS when I was working, I don’t think I could have continued holding a job. I was a computer programmer and I wouldn’t have been able to do even that relatively non-physical job.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One of my wife's cousins uses it to manage almost debilitating back pain. It works for her. She's able to use edibles but has to be careful as she has an 11yo with learning issues in the house.

I *do* know that, while there's no nicotine, smoking marijuana still isn't that good for you (some say as bad or worse than cigarettes) as there are still the tars and other toxic gases. I've no idea if a dry herb vaporizer removes some of that ancillary hazard or not, but whatever works is what I'd go for.

Here are a couple of articles on Parkinson's that might be helpful... this first recommends regular exercise, which is likely an issue with your CFS - and you may already know the information in these:

Thank you for find this info for me. I know I’ve got to start walking again.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I know several people that use it medically and they all rave about it. Personally, I've only used it for pleasure and so never used it to treat anything. It's an interesting thing, because the history of the plant is it was made illegal through lobbying by big pharma, who saw it as a major issue if you could grow medication in your own yard to help you with existing issues. They preferred that you pay for their medications rather than grow your own. The next thing we will likely see legalized is psilocybin mushrooms, as I know a few people that are treating ailments with those, and are having miraculous results. Again, it is a case where it is a natural item you can grow yourself and so big pharma was not a fan.

Advantages, the marijuana and mushrooms are all natural and typically produce zero side effects. They have far less of a negative effect on your body.

Marijuana is fully legal here in Massachusetts. So, you do not need a medical card to purchase it but it is much less expensive if you get a medical card. I am not a doctor, but using marijuana and mushrooms seems to come highly recommended by them. Depression, anxiety, pain, addictions, psychiatric issues all appear to respond to treatment through these natural methods. So, the truth is, it seems like these would be beneficial for you and perhaps a far better treatment method than other pharmaceuticals.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The next thing we will likely see legalized is psilocybin mushrooms
Colorado has become something of a trailblazer in this area and we voted on this, I believe, last year. It failed, as I recall, but that type of thing rarely passes the first time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Colorado has become something of a trailblazer in this area and we voted on this, I believe, last year. It failed, as I recall, but that type of thing rarely passes the first time.

When people first mentioned it to me I kind of joked about it. Then a good friend showed me some studies on them and I was flat out astonished. They have been used to help the elderly, people with severe psychiatric issues, and all sorts of people with depression and anxiety problems that they really struggled to overcome before. I, probably along with others, associated them with being totally high and hallucinating, but this is not the effect they have when used in these situations.

It's a fascinating area and from what I have heard, the results are too wonderful to keep them illegal. If it helps people, I am all for it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When people first mentioned it to me I kind of joked about it. Then a good friend showed me some studies on them and I was flat out astonished. They have been used to help the elderly, people with severe psychiatric issues, and all sorts of people with depression and anxiety problems that they really struggled to overcome before. I, probably along with others, associated them with being totally high and hallucinating, but this is not the effect they have when used in these situations.

It's a fascinating area and from what I have heard, the results are too wonderful to keep them illegal. If it helps people, I am all for it.
Actually, I'm wrong. It did pass in November 2022. At least the first step of decriminalizing it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Vaping the MM has made a significant difference. I have more energy and a better attitude.
Informative. I didn't know marijuana was "vapable" and you're also the first person I've ever heard of who uses it to increase energy levels. I've always thought it had the opposite effect. In any case, if it helps, I'm happy for you. While I currently have no interest in using, it still bothers me it hasn't yet been decriminalized in GA.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Had a full full body scan thru my last job and the doctor told me that out of the hundreds and hundreds he has done, that smokers (like myself, quit in 1990) had holes in their lungs. The ones that smoked grass had no holes...and that he couldn't explain.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
peyote will be next...
Had a full full body scan thru my last job and the doctor told me that out of the hundreds and hundreds he has done, that smokers (like myself, quit in 1990) had holes in their lungs. The ones that smoked grass had no holes...and that he couldn't explain.
I wonder if that's due to all the non-tobacco junk the companies put in to keep you addicted.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Come to Arkansas

Really? That seems counterintuitive as the chemical signature of marijuana remains in your system long after its impairing effects have dissipated.
If you want counter-intuitive, come to Arkansas. When MM was passed by a vote of the people, the powers-that-be were pissed. They drug their heels implementing the law, it took about two years. This last election we had a chance to pass Recreational Marijuana. For a while, it looked like it would pass. Than the scare campaign started and RM failed.

This is not a logical state.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My wife and I were in Minnesota for much of last year so we had access to legal marijuana products so we bought some gummies.

We both for being around 60 have the usual aches and pains but I have trouble sleeping and chronic headaches.

In my non scientific survey I’ve concluded that the gummies help make some of our issues tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks