What's new

Looking at new computers (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
Currently looking at Vaio (the water cooled one, don't remember the model #) snd at comparable high end HP systems. I'm concerned, however, that the HP shares its memory with the CPU and may thus affect performance. I've been told that this should be a factor only for intensive gaming. Any input re either system?

Thanks!

PatH

rob-h

Second Unit
You mean that it has shared system and video mem? That just means that you carve off a piece for video. If you put 1 gig in and used 256 for the video you will be more then fine for HTPC (just and example, you could go with less). Fot todays games it will still be lacking. Not just because of the mem but because on board video period is not up to the task of running todays games full bore.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would do a custom built computer, from a local computer store.
Then if you have a problem, you won't be on hold for an hour and a half, waiting to talk to someone in India.
Custom computers don't have all the proprietary stuff to deal with. You can get EXACTLY what you want, instead of settling for something, because it's part of the package deal.
If you already have monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers, all you need is the tower, and can probably come out cheaper.
Plus there's perks, with software and other stuff, when dealing with someone local. They appreciate your business, and show it, a lot more than the big named companies.
I think in the long run, you'll be much happier.
I am with mine! :D

StevenFC

Second Unit
Build your own. There's plenty of websites with instructions and recommendations. Buying one just doesn't make sense anymore with what you can build yourself for a reasonable price. Won't take you more than a few hours if you do it carefully.

Ed's idea is a good way to go also, just make sure they have a good reputation.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I disagree with this statement. I AM an advocate of building your own computer, but price is no longer the determining factor in most situations. If you're looking at getting the cheapest computer possible you can no longer beat out the Dells of the world in price. Dell gives away 15"-17" LCD monitors with their lowest-end computers on a regular basis. Often you're getting the entire system for just slightly more than the market value of the monitor.

If you already own a good monitor, then building your own may be cost effective -- but building your own does not have nearly the cost savings that it did 5 years ago.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Seth, I wasn't exactly saying it's all about the money.

However, when Pat looks to upgrade his or her computer, which one do you think is going to be easier to upgrade and cost less in the long run?

rob-h

Second Unit
Keith, I am currently responsible for administering a LARGE network. Even for corporate use shared mem is not an issue at all. The only time it would be an issue is with graphics intensive apps or games. If you were using these, you would go with a video card, not the on board video. Your average user will never know the diffrence.

FYI, I have 2 HTPC's connected to 2 diffrent TV's that both use shared mem. One is a shuttle and the other is a via epia m10000 (both home built). They are both over 2 years old and never had an issue.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Shared memory graphics is almost always low-end, but as Rob says that's an issue for 3d applications only. Personally I detest that sort of thing though. I am however a bit of a gearhead and enjoy tinkering with my systems.

Building your own machine can be rather fun. There isn't much actual building involved, just assembling parts and sticking them in there. Still, if you aren't comfortable with doing that then you probably shouldn't try if you don't have ready access to some local computer weenie :) to help you out.

It's difficult to buy a bad computer today, really. The trick is finding or building one that has that extra few percent of oomph/cool. Pretty much anything you buy will do virtually any generic home computing tasks with aplomb.

You might want to try quoting actual model numbers here and then you'll get feedback on those specific models.

rob-h

Second Unit
Kimmo Jaskari, I would agree.......its not good or bad, its quiet and does what I want for a good price. Size and and thus heat dissapation are also concerns. Everyone uses the same components so quality is almost uniform.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Unless I absolutely needed a new computer right now, I would hold out for one with the new Microsoft operating system, tentatively called "longhorn". Gonna be a while, but that would be my strategy.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Early adopters always suffer a lot from bugs and incompatibilities. I'm going to be giving the next Windows version a wide berth for quite some time after its introduction, myself.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
personally I wouldnt waste my time with windows vista a.k.a. longhorn. have you seen the system requirements for this hog?

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I agree... I would not hold off on buying a computer for Win Vista.

I suggest getting something that runs at 64 bits since 6 of the 7 vista versions will be available in 64 bit and you'll see way better performance.... but I always wait until around the time of the first service pack to come out for a windows OS before going to that... otherwise you will have SO many headaches. XP works great right now, and there truly aren't that many 'must-have' features on Vista that make it worth the wait.

As far as buying big box or independant or building.... just do a ton of shopping around. If you can find a package at a big box store with everything you need, you'll often get the best price and decent service...
Independants can give great service, or terrible service... realy depends on the store... reputation is everything!

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I agree that building your own computer CAN be cheaper compared to a similar bundled system. The problem is that many people end up spending more than they originally budgeted. If you are going through the trouble of making your dream machine then might as well install the best stuff right?;)

The nice thing about your own system is that you aren't paying for software that you do not want. As we all know, the computer makers package in their integrated software with all this crap. My Dell still has these damn pop ups asking me to subscribe to their programs. I still have not been able to locate all of them so I can delete them. It's almost impossible to get to a bare Windows system without buying XP and reinstalling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks