What's new

Looking for New 65"/77" OLED Recommendations (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@JohnRice i give you permission to upgrade to a g3 too :)
Trust me, I'm very tempted at this point to upgrade the display in my HT that is only three years old. I don't know that I'd go with a G3, but quite possibly the model below it. Is that the C3? I'm not up on what the differences are.

Actually, I might be tempted to update my living room TV, which is only a few months older.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doug,

Well, any new reports on your recently purchased display?

While I haven't had as much time to spend with the G3 as I'd have liked the past few days, it has been an eye-opening experience, Robert. In addition to the benefits of the larger size, which I LOVE, this panel is so much better and more refined than my E6P. DV and HDR content, both disc and streaming, looks simply phenomenal! Upscaled Blu-ray is just gorgeous. Panel brightness, uniformity, and off-axis viewing angles are superb and FAR better than the E6P. Whites on this new TV are WHITE. The remote is improved over the E6P, being smaller and easy to operate with one hand. It uses the same Magic Wand functionality as previous LG TV remotes. Another thing? This display LOOKS great! It's extremely well-made and definitely has a premium look. The bezel is also practically non-existent, which is quite striking in a darkened room, particularly when you're watching 1.85:1 content. The opening sequence of Toy Story 3 in 4K is absolutely stunning demo material.

Things that aren't 100% positive? Well, I will say that I think that broadcast TV, both over the air and streamed from my Silicon Dust ATSC3 network tuner, looked better on the 65". I think that's primarily due to the larger G3 revealing more of the flaws inherent in those sources. Also, the stand could be improved. It's a bit wobbly because of its ability to rotate, and it causes the TV to lean back at a slight angle. This is by design, to prevent it from tipping forward and possibly injuring someone, according to the manual and LG's legal department. Now that I've lived with the G3 for a few days I don't notice it any longer. The other slight issue with the stand is that the part of the base that projects out in front of the panel is a silvery color, and it reflects light coming from the panel, which is a little distracting in a dark room. I'm glad Best Buy threw the LG stand in for free, because I would have felt gypped if I'd paid the $200 retail price for it. I may look into alternatives. Sound? Not so great. Even with the "AI" enabled for audio, it's rather thin and unremarkable. I would have expected more from a $5K TV, but it doesn't bother me since I don't use the built-in speakers. If I were getting this panel for a different scenario than a home theater installation, I'd say that at least a good soundbar would be mandatory.

Anyway, I'm still learning my way around the TV and am in the middle of digesting a 320-page thread on it over at AVSForum. But DAMN, it's so nice and looks so great that I haven't had a single instance of buyer's remorse yet, and no FOMO either. I'm a happy camper!

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also, the stand could be improved. It's a bit wobbly because of its ability to rotate, and it causes the TV to lean back at a slight angle. This is by design, to prevent it from tipping forward and possibly injuring someone, according to the manual and LG's legal department. Now that I've lived with the G3 for a few days I don't notice it any longer. The other slight issue with the stand is that the part of the base that projects out in front of the panel is a silvery color, and it reflects light coming from the panel, which is a little distracting in a dark room. I'm glad Best Buy threw the LG stand in for free, because I would have felt gypped if I'd paid the $200 retail price for it. I may look into alternatives.
If you end up buying a different stand, I highly recommend these feet over the crappy little metal feet that usually come with displays these days. I bought them for our 70-inch Vizio 4K display, and they provide for a much more stable solution sitting on the glass TV stand from our old Samsung DLP RPTV.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you end up buying a different stand, I highly recommend these feet over the crappy little metal feet that usually come with displays these days. I bought them for our 70-inch Vizio 4K display, and they provide for a much more stable solution sitting on the glass TV stand from our old Samsung DLP RPTV.
That looks like a nice solution, Scott. Thanks for the info! Here's what the optional LG factory stand for the 77"/83" G Series looks like, front and back. It attaches with four screws near the bottom of the panel instead of the VESA holes. I think this is the main reason it wobbles. The attachment points are so close to the bottom edge of the panel that you've got a lot of weight cantilevering around above it. I think there are more stable alternatives out there, especially at the $200 price point:

IMG_9347.jpg IMG_9349.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That looks like a nice solution, Scott. Thanks for the info! Here's what the optional LG factory stand for the 77"/83" G Series looks like, front and back. It attaches with four screws near the bottom of the panel instead of the VESA holes. I think this is the main reason it wobbles. The attachment points are so close to the bottom edge of the panel that you've got a lot of weight cantilevering around above it. I think there are more stable alternatives out there, especially at the $200 price point:

View attachment 185444 View attachment 185445
That stand does not inspire confidence. You can probably get one on The Evil A for $100 or less that attaches to the VESA mount and would be much better. The type that has two rails that attach to the back of the TV and then hangs into the stand.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That stand does not inspire confidence. You can probably get one on The Evil A for $100 or less that attaches to the VESA mount and would be much better. The type that has two rails that attach to the back of the TV and then hangs into the stand.
Absolutely, but I'm not worried about the panel tipping and falling. In fact, it would take quite a bit of strength to grab the top edge and pull it over. The base of the LG stand is broad and it weighs 16 pounds. On the other hand, I don't like the wobbles and would be happier in the long run with something that uses the VESA mount. That thread I mentioned over at AVSForum has links to several nice, affordable options in the stickies.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That is exactly the type that I provided a link for above. Bought it in 2020 when we renovated our family room and I had to disassemble the home theater. Cost is currently $40, and it works great. Plus, whoever wrote the assembly instructions had a great sense of humor. I never enjoyed reading instructions more. :laugh:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Absolutely, but I'm not worried about the panel tipping and falling. In fact, it would take quite a bit of strength to grab the top edge and pull it over. The base of the LG stand is broad and it weighs 16 pounds. On the other hand, I don't like the wobbles and would be happier in the long run with something that uses the VESA mount. That thread I mentioned over at AVSForum has links to several nice, affordable options in the stickies.

What happens when you have a ton of earthshaking sub bass, especially sustained, happening in a movie? :lol:

_Man_

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, the honeymoon is over, a little bit. Yesterday I discovered that my G3 has a dead pixel in the lower right-hand quadrant of the panel. ARGH! I didn't find any others, and it's so small that it isn't visible when watching content from my viewing position, but DAMN, I know it's there, on a $5K display. Now I have to decide whether or not it's worth the hassle and risk of playing the panel lottery to exchange it for another one, or just live with it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for all your thoughts on the new TV Doug. My brother is going to upgrade from his old plasma, and wants an OLED. I'm letting him know about the model you purchased. Sounds awesome!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well, the honeymoon is over, a little bit. Yesterday I discovered that my G3 has a dead pixel in the lower right-hand quadrant of the panel. ARGH! I didn't find any others, and it's so small that it isn't visible when watching content from my viewing position, but DAMN, I know it's there, on a $5K display. Now I have to decide whether or not it's worth the hassle and risk of playing the panel lottery to exchange it for another one, or just live with it.
Oh, right after I posted I read this. Can A TV technician repair this you think, or will have to be an entirely new panel. If so, it will be a bitch to return it, but I'd do it. No way I'd settle for it with the kind of money you paid.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh, right after I posted I read this. Can A TV technician repair this you think, or will have to be an entirely new panel. If so, it will be a bitch to return it, but I'd do it. No way I'd settle for it with the kind of money you paid.
This can't be repaired any other way than swapping the panel out, Bryan. Since I'm still within my return window at Best Buy there's no way I'd go that route on a brand-new display. To be honest, I doubt that LG's warranty would cover a panel replacement for a single dead pixel. I'll have to look into the limitations there, but most TV manufacturers have a "minimum acceptable number of dead/stuck pixels" clause in their warranties.

If I decide to pursue this I'll simply return it and exchange it for another new G3.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, at such prices, I'd most likely return it for a new one since you're well w/in their return window.

How common is this anyway? I haven't heard of it being that common (for a new OLED anyway)... although a dead/stuck pixel or two on a new LCD panel or any similar panel tech, including camera sensors, (of whatever kind) does happen now and then (and I imagine it's more or less same for OLED). And thing is the panel can certainly develop more of them over time -- and don't know if a panel that already has one or two so very soon is more likely to develop some more sooner than otherwise.

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would also return it. Who’s to say if the panel has a defect that that pixel will be the only one? It’s too much money to have any sort of imperfection

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, as much of a PITA as it will be, I'm going to give Best Buy a call today or tomorrow and find out what my options are for the return. They may even ship me a new panel and have the delivery people pick up the current one. That's what I hope anyway. Dammit!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I just got off the phone with Best Buy, and they'll be delivering a replacement G3 on Friday. "All" I need to do is box up my current panel and the delivery team will pick it up when they drop off the new TV. I was on the phone with Customer Service for less than 5 minutes, there were no questions asked, and I was impressed with how easy the whole process was. Kudos to Best Buy for making it as painless as possible. I'll report back once I have the new panel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I just got off the phone with Best Buy, and they'll be delivering a replacement G3 on Friday. "All" I need to do is box up my current panel and the delivery team will pick it up when they drop off the new TV. I was on the phone with Customer Service for less than 5 minutes, there were no questions asked, and I was impressed with how easy the whole process was. Kudos to Best Buy for making it as painless as possible. I'll report back once I have the new panel.
I'm sorry to read about your issue with that new panel. It's a good thing that BB is taking care of it. How did you noticed that dead pixel? I do wonder how many people have displays that don't notice that defect?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks