What's new

London Subway blasts - are our HTF brethren ok ? (1 Viewer)

Steve Kuester

Second Unit

No... and yes.

I doubt there has ever been a time in all of history where at least two groups were not fighting each other. It's always been, and probably always will be until the end.

I think for most people, all you can do is pray for the victims and do your best to be on the stronger side.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Drew, I think the real answer is, "You do the best you can."

Nobody I know asked for these attacks to happen. Nobody I know asked to go to war. But these things happen, with or without my involvement. I have an 18-month-old baby girl. Nothing would thrill me more than to be able to bring her up in a world that didn't know war. But I can't do that.
What I can do is bring her up to look at everyone as a person, and judge them based on character and not country. I'm not going to hide in the corner, curl up around her and hope the problems in this world just float away. I'm going to live my life the best I know how. And I'm going to do my best to provide for my family. Right now I'm more concerned with her learning to use the potty than I am keeping her away from terrorists.
Sure, I hurt for those who've lost loved ones. And I grieve for the fallen. But it's not going to make me think less of this world as a whole. It's still a great place, and I'm glad to be on it. And when my daughter gets old enough to ask me, this is what I'm going to tell her.
That and "I love you."

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Spencer, I admire your optimism. I would just like to caution you that it's not a matter of "if" but "when" we will see similar suicidal attacks on US soil. And I'm not talking about anything on the scale of Sept 11.

You can't fight an enemy you don't see...and I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
OK, but I'm still not going to sit around waiting for the wheels to fall off the car before I drive it. Things may get worse, but that's not going to change who I am, or the way I live my life. If you fret all day about what you can't control, it'll eat you up and I'm afrid you'll miss out on some of the truly sublime moments life offers.
Have you heard the story about the flood victim who kept telling rescue boat drivers he was waiting for a sign from God before he would leave his roof? After he drowns God asks him, "What's the deal? I sent 3 boats for you!"

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

It always does. As for what's to blame (a nebulous concept at best), that's easy. Human nature. It's not the leaders, of any party, ideology, or gender, to point the finger at, regardless of how much better it makes anyone feel.

And I'm an optimist. Too many good people for me to think otherwise.

We just need more good people,
Chuck

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Let me elaborate on Cees's post. It means drop the subject. It does not mean "redefine the subject in an effort to pursue it", and it is not an invitation to debate in public whether other actions should be taken regarding this thread. (The rules are clear that such issues should be raised privately.)

This thread will be reopened shortly. We'd like to be able to leave it open, but that's up to the participants.

M.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Sorry, Cees. I seem to be getting on your nerves lately. :)
It wasn't intentional, I was merely trying to learn something. Perhaps Andrew could e-mail me.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Probably a good time to tune into the BBC-- the story changes minute by minute. But as of this minute, the police are speculating that at least one incident involved a small explosion (perhaps a detonator).

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Hearing rumours of a nail bomb going off on a platform, another bomb on a bus and 2 more explosions on other tube platforms. On BBC 24 news they have gone from describing them minor explosions to a major incident.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Latest news is three bombs going off simultaneously on tube trains, one on a bus. Very similar to the previous attacks, but at a different time of the day and in different parts of London. However, thank God, no casulaties. Reports from several eyewitnesses report the smell of burning rubber and a loud bang and smoke, but no appreciable damage. To my uninitiated mind, that sounds like the primer went off, but not the main charge. It also may be an elaborate hoax or an attempt to scare. However, the perpetrators when caught are likely to get life imprisonment no matter what.

There are firm reports of asian people being chased from a bombed station, which may be panic reaction and innocent asians fleeing from what they think is a blood-hungry mob, or may be more significant. At least one man of asian appearance has been arrested by police in front of a BBC reporter. The man's shirt was pulled open before he was arrested, presumably to check for bombs.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The people commissioned to plant the bombs probably took out the explosives and left them at home, because they no longer trusted the guy who set the timers.

Cees

OK, I apologize. Couldn't resist, though. :)
C.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
From msnbc.com:
This is disturbing news for those of us who occasionally carry dope and body parts.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just offer to share. :D

Seriously, though, the bag and backpack inspection could cause major tie-ups in already crowded subway stations. They've been doing this at B'way theaters since 9/11, and it always backs up the line for entrance. I can't even begin to imagine how this could work at Times Square or Grand Central at, say, 5pm.

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As someone already said on the BBC, there's much better equipment in place locally: the eyes and brains of the many passengers. It's not enough, but it can help enormously when people learn to watch their direct environment and know what to look for and what to do (even when in doubt).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks