What's new

London Subway blasts - are our HTF brethren ok ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, I think the www.werenotafraid.com website is a fantastic idea, with many witty and brilliant images, as you said.
I am glad that the British people are acting with such courage and unity in the wake of such horrible events. I believe it shows a country's strength when the people refuse to give in to cowardly acts of terrorism.

My personal favorite thus far: http://www.werenotafraid.com/images/094/Brendan_J_S.jpg

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That site is fantastic!

Hre's a link to another picture. It's typical of the atmosphere of the site. I love this one.

(from: We're not afraid,
submitted by: Lorenzo Lafontaine)

If you can think of a nice picture, add one there! (I'm going to see about that myself too.)

I'm also in awe how fast they are totally solving the case! "Master brain" arrested already. In Cairo, where the brave man had fled to just before the attack. Almost all (if not all) directly involved identified!

Cees

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Have to give credit for this: They're finding out quickly about who these bastards were/are and tracking them down. Kudos! :emoji_thumbsup:

Claudia P

Stunt Coordinator
Really? Anger in a child so small can only go where? Show me the child and I will show you the man.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Claudia,

The fact that my youngest son is 19 yrs. now is making me slightly more careless, perhaps. And my children seldom use this gesture - if at all.

I know what you mean, though, and perhaps that photograph is a bit "staged". (I saw another - slightly less cropped - version on that same site, and I think that boy is a little soccer fan, who's not THAT angry, really. :) )

But I find the picture absolutely perfect as an illustration of the mood most of us are in as a reply to the violence shown in London 7/7.

Cees

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

He's a baseball fan too, because that picture was crossing the wires last year during the ALCS, with the kid sporting a tacked on Red Sox logo.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Interesting piece in one of today's UK newspapers (sorry, couldn't find a link to it) saying that quite possibly the 'suicide' bombers were duped. Basically, they were instructed to leave the bombs at various places and escape, but their controller had deliberately set the bombs to go off before the times he told the bombers. Evidence for this:

(1) the bombers left a car at a station full of bombs - why leave explosives behind if you know you're not coming back? However, if they thought they were about to start a series of bombings ...

(2) no bomber was heard to issue the traditional religious phrases before killing themselves

(3) it would explain why the bus bomber was reported as looking so nervous and kept looking in his bag. Presumably he was supposed to plant a bomb that would go off later in the day, heard about the bombs that had already gone off (i.e. well before the planned time) and was looking at his bomb to see whether his was about to explode prematurely.

I can't claim any greater sorrow for the 'suicide' bombers if this is the truth, but it also shows a very sickening extra level of cynicism in the behaviour of the masterminds behind these bombings.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Here's the (or at least: a) link, andrew. And I read about and thought about the possibility before (note my post #75). Don't remember where.

It's an old trick in "certain" circles. Either the timer is set earlier than told, or else, when the carrier thinks he is switching a timer on (supposed to go off twenty minutes later, even without a James Bond type display), he really detonates the bomb.

If this can be proven, they should make it very public! If that will make any impression on future enthusiasts for the cause.

Cees

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I second Claudia. That emotion is for men not children, but Cee's I can see the attraction.

When I see footage of the children in N Korea being taught how “weak and wrong” Anne Frank was, after Korea misrepresented the reason for requesting a copyright wavier, and very young in Palestine schools being taught the most incredible amount of violent rhetoric. I feel physically ill, depressed and wish some theoretical Dinosaur killer size asteroid would get here quicker to end this all.

Then I see an adult sacrificing themselves for children drowning in an icy pond, and I want us all to live.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
More than 90 people were killed in a single suicide attack in Iraq last week - brining the total to over 170 dead in other attacks. But those lives are "less important" and we don't even notice anymore :rolleyes

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Drew, I'm not sure that it's we don't notice, as the atrocities have become so commonplace in some countries that they have little emotional impact. Sad, but true.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

Was there ever a moment of peace in the world...will there always be conflict? Are the former and current leaders of the world (mostly male) to blame? What is wrong with mankind? I have a 13 month old daughter and we hope to have more but the thought of bringing them into this f'd up world is depressing.

Sorry if this is off topic...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Hundreds of Africans die every day from disease and hunger, are they "less important"?

This thread is about the recent London bombings, if you want to start separate threads on the Iraq conflict and insurgency, Basque terrorists, Greek terrorists, Iran and N.Korea's nuclear ambitions, go ahead but I wouldn't recommend it.

It's a dangerous world but if we start whimpering and crying, than our enemies have won.

"The time for excuses for terrorism is over. The terrorists have struck across the world, in countries allied with the United States, backing the war in Iraq, and in countries which had nothing whatever to do with the war in Iraq. They struck in Kenya, in Tanzania, in Indonesia, in the Yemen, they struck this weekend in Turkey which was not supporting our action in Iraq." Foreign Secretary Jack Straw

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Nobody is whimpering and crying, but if we lose concern for what is going on in the world, then the extremists may as well take over, because we will have lost our humanity.

Incidentally, the quotation from Jack Straw in your post is muddle-headed. Even a rudimentary study of the current problems with Islamic extremists would show that the targets chosen have everything to do with a reaction against Western imperialism.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks