What's new

London Subway blasts - are our HTF brethren ok ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Over 90 casualties and the entire system shutdown - horrific.

Besides the obvious suspects, are there any other active groups that could be responsible ?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

The story started breaking about 9.30 GMT this morning with news that the Tube (i.e. subway) had been closed due to a series of 'mains surges' (what we now know were bombs). This meant people coming out of the Tube and using the buses - and then the bombs in the buses went off.

No firm news of casualties yet. At least two people are dead, many are seriously injured (and thus the death toll is almost certain to rise).

The following site *may* be of use:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050707/325/fmu8v.html

It looks like the attack was planned to coincide with G8 rather than anything to do with the Olympics (though fanatics like Al-Quaeda probably don't like the idea of people getting together and enjoying themselves either).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It's very kind of you to think of me, but I live in a small village outside Cardiff (i.e. quite a distance away).

It looks likely that this is the work of Al Quaeda or some similar bunch of fundamentalist nutters. It is probably a response to the G8 summit.

For those who haven't heard the details, there were various explosions on tube (i.e. subway) trains and then a little while later, when people were out of the tube and into the buses, bombs went off in the buses.

London survived Hitler's blitz - it's not going to let some two bit thugs like Bin Laden and his merry men grind it down.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My condolences to our HTF friends there, plus the whole of Great Britain and their families.

It does seem the work of experienced, methodical terrorists. Based on the G-8 links, I don't intend on screaming blame (yet), but the precision and planning are reminiscient.

Kudos to the excellent London Emergency Services. Saving lives and making a difference. Makes me proud to be a human.

Take care,
Chuck

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Amen to that. The one thing I noticed on the reports was the citizens of London had an almost "we've been through worse" look of calm and resolve on their faces. I'm saddend the terrorism that hit NY and DC has come to your fair shores, but good to see the steel in your populace has not been bent or broken since the days of WWII.

Take care of you and yours and my sympathies to those who've lost anyone due to this barbaric action.

Brendon

Second Unit

Without getting unneccessarily gung-ho about it, I couldn't agree more. London got through WW2 and the Irish troubles - London will get through this too. From what I've seen on BBC1 this morning, I'm deeply impressed with the way our emergency services conducted themselves; the major incident plan they've rehearsed seem to have paid great dividends. The same goes for the Londoners and tourists in general that have spoken on the TV and radio; each has spoken with composure and calm.

Bren (in Lancs, way up North)

TheoGB

Screenwriter

Well few of us are old enough to remember the Blitz, but we all grew up with the IRA bombing routinely so I think we're used to the occasional security nightmare.

Personally I'm just hoping that the general populace is intelligent enough to realise that ID cards would have done nothing to prevent this, and we don't see it used to run through more 'security measures', that do nothing to stop organised criminals, but harm civil liberties and the innocent. :frowning:

It's all pretty horrific out there. Was impressed by Blair's speech, which appeared to be delivered off the cuff and clearly with emotion still running high.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Theo, you and I know this, but you wait for the ID card bill to be rushed through Parliament.
For those wondering what we're talking about, UK citizens don't have any form of official ID card (though usually a driver's licence is taken as suficcient ID for most purposes). The UK Govt wants to introduce national identity cards. Most of us (myself included) don't mind that too much in principle, but what sticks int he craw is that we're expected to pay for them as well - and a realistic cost is 200 *pounds* each. Plus, as Theo says, they ain't going to stop terrorists.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Talk about insult to injury.

Thanks to London for being an example to the rest of the world in such a tragedy. I listened to Blair on C-SPAN this morning. As usual, one of the finest speakers in the world.

The same group that claimed the Madrid bombings are claiming these, as reported by MSNBC. How valid that is, who knows. Just wanted to include the data point.

Take care,
Chuck

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Without making this political, I too would expect this terrorist incident to speed up the process of introducing mandatory ID in the UK.

I can see it now -- in the future, you have to pass a security checkpoint in order to access the London underground system. There will be airport-style "check-in/check-out" booths at entrances, one queue for EU citizens and others with some form of biometric identifiers in their ID cards or passports, and another queue for those without who will be checked with a metal detector and any luggage they have will be fed through an explosive-detection and/or X-ray machine.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Im from England aswell, luckily I don't live in London.

This news is shocking. Tears your heart strings when you hear people on the TV talking about what happened. I dont who did this, there are numerous options. We've had to deal with IRA bombings before or threats of them but this is quite big.

Got to be said again, well done to Paramedics etc, Doing a great job.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Our deepest sympathy goes to our fellow British, and especially London, men and women (and children). Indeed the various Emergency Services there seem to be very professional and adequate.

This thread can stay open if every poster does his/her utmost best to stay outside the political domain. This may become difficult in the future when some new information will come in, but, please, let's all give it a sincere try!

I'll stick this thread high up, for a while.

Cees

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One theory is that this is to protest the upcoming trial of a fiery Muslim cleric, I believed named Hamza. He is the guy who has led protests praising the WTC attacks and backing Osama.
One thing I never understood. I am sure 99% of muslims living in England are good hardworking citizens. But, I never understood those guys like Hamza who deride everything about the West....yet come to live in the West.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

The Beeb are reporting that it's a previously unknown group claiming responsibility via some website. I don't think it's time yet to say for sure who exactly is responsible.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I have long admired the British for their courage in the face of danger and adversity. My deepest sorrow goes out for those who will have to lay shovel to earth to commute lives too quickly shortened. May justice be swift.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Best wishes and prayers to everyone affected by these terrorist attacks.

One thing that amazes me, that I've heard expressed several times on the news already, is hearing that ANYONE could be "shocked or surprised" that something like this happened, especially when you have the G8 right there on the continent PLUS George Bush?

The last time Bush was there in '03, AQ messed up a British Consulate as a little message.

I'm not trying to bash Bush at all- I'm just stating a fact: He's an obvious lightning rod and target for the terrorists to go after. They hate his guts and would love nothing more than to take him out. Duh.

All this being said...how can ANYONE be shocked or surprised that this happened? Honestly?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if something happens in another G8 country before the day is out...namely the U.S. during OUR rush hour. I'm praying for all of us today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks