What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Harmony Elite stands as the very best remote on the market. Though introduced in 2015, it continues to stand as the pinnacle of the Harmony Remote lineup. With its responsive touchscreen and motion-sensing backlit keys, the Elite is an elegant device that combines simplicity with functionality for all your home theater devices.
When I first reviewed the Harmony Elite, I knew that this device could evolve no further. This would probably be the end-of-the-line for Logitech’s touchscreen remotes. I had commented that Logitech’s next move should be ditching touch for voice. Unfortunately, I am not certain that this evolution from Logitech...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 61M84aL54VL._SL1500_.jpg
    61M84aL54VL._SL1500_.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 71wThBfMhjL._SL1500_.jpg
    71wThBfMhjL._SL1500_.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    949.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    808.1 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0077.png
    IMG_0077.png
    661.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0081.png
    IMG_0081.png
    541.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0085.png
    IMG_0085.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0086.png
    IMG_0086.png
    698.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0087.png
    IMG_0087.png
    574.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0141.png
    IMG_0141.png
    380 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0142.png
    IMG_0142.png
    439 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0088.png
    IMG_0088.png
    720 KB · Views: 191
  • harmony-express-universal-voice-remote-with-alexa-built-in.jpg
    harmony-express-universal-voice-remote-with-alexa-built-in.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 762
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 11.54.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 11.54.23 AM.png
    430.2 KB · Views: 739
  • harmony-express-universal-voice-remote-with-alexa-built-in-1.jpg
    harmony-express-universal-voice-remote-with-alexa-built-in-1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 959

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for this review, Ron. I still use the Harmony 650, having stayed away from all the newer ones because I like all the hard buttons on the 650. Not having a numeric keypad was a show stopper for me on all the newer ones I looked at, plus the price is a winner on the 650. I'm getting too many devices and apps now for the 650 so I might be inclined toward this one if they fix the Tivo problems. I'm not a big lover of voice control, but I'm warming up to it a little on the Amazon Fire Stick.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Ron. I am glad to see that Harmony is transitioning towards voice commands. Like Dick, though, I still use a Harmony 650 remote and like the hard buttons. It seems like Harmony is getting closer to offering something that can fit my needs, though, and that is encouraging.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just bought my third Harmony Elite remote so all three of my HT setups are done when it comes to remotes for the foreseeable future.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Ronald Epstein Thanks for the review. I've got a decade old Harmony One and a three year old URC MX780. I'm thinking of trying to upgrade and harmonize the household's remotes in the next year. (This might not be a practical task, TBD.) So I appreciate reviews of new remotes -- and I was completely unaware of this addition to the Logitech line.

I don't think it's for me. I use a TiVo nightly, so a remote that doesn't do that well isn't good fit.

But, to make sure I understand: Can you do something like, "Play The Flash" to have it play the next episode of The Flash that's on your TiVo? That kind of feature might get me to try out a voice remote.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just bought my third Harmony Elite remote so all three of my HT setups are done when it comes to remotes for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, for individuals with our needs, the Harmony Elite is the way to go here. There are so many more options available to you at your fingertips. I bought a second one in the past year for another room, so you can see I am a huge fan of that remote as well.

@Ronald Epstein
But, to make sure I understand: Can you do something like, "Play The Flash" to have it play the next episode of The Flash that's on your TiVo? That kind of feature might get me to try out a voice remote.

No. Sadly it's not that smart. Although you can tell the remote "Go to Netfilx App" or "Go to YouTube App" you can't specify recorded or streaming content to automatically play by voice command.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I will keep what I have. It's all set up.I can run everything on 2, 3 remotes. One in the living room. Two in the bed room. I bet I can get it down to one in the bed room. If I want to play around & find the code for the 4 K DVD player. I may do that?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the comprehensive review, Ron. I haven't owned a Logitech remote in a long time. If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1) Will voice commands work with devices you have to manually add. I ask because I noticed your JVC projector wasn't automatically recognized. I suspect it would be the same for my Epson.

2) Does the Logitech line support only Alexa or will it also work with Google Assistant.

3) Does this [or the Elite] support IP control for networked devices?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This sounds like a neat remote, but it seems clear that it's not intended for people who currently use something like the Elite. There's just no way that a little trimmed down remote like that will function with either of my systems. For people who have a TV, maybe a soundbar and possibly a streaming device, it might do all they want. I suspect the target customer for this probably has never had a unified remote before.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the comprehensive review, Ron. I haven't owned a Logitech remote in a long time. If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1) Will voice commands work with devices you have to manually add. I ask because I noticed your JVC projector wasn't automatically recognized. I suspect it would be the same for my Epson.

2) Does the Logitech line support only Alexa or will it also work with Google Assistant.

3) Does this [or the Elite] support IP control for networked devices?

1. Yes, voice commands will work for any device you manually have to add and whose codes are supported by Logitech. Most all major components are.

2. This only supports Alexa connected devices, not Google Home.

3. I don't know anything about IP control. If you can explain this a little, perhaps I can help. Basically, if a device can be controlled by Alexa voice commands, it should be compatible with this remote as it ties into your existing automated home setup.

This sounds like a neat remote, but it seems clear that it's not intended for people who currently use something like the Elite. There's just no way that a little trimmed down remote like that will function with either of my systems. For people who have a TV, maybe a soundbar and possibly a streaming device, it might do all they want. I suspect the target customer for this probably has never had a unified remote before.

That's pretty much my assessment. It's not designed for power users but makes a great remote for those with a more streamlined setup.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
A few questions, though I have another Harmony remote I'm curious about this model for the future. I too have a TiVo. I hope Logitech fixes the issues with that box.

Can you use the + and - buttons to surf channels up and down? If not can you do that by voice command? I haven't seen anything about that in reviews out there. I take it also that one cannot go into an individual device and change settings? If that is so than for me this is a deal breaker for the time being.

Thanks for your attention.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Charles,

The hard buttons on the remote do replicate those on most remotes. There is channel + and - buttons allowing you to do surf channels with your fingers. There is also a volume + and - button and skip/forward and back buttons.

The 3-line button right below the round select button (top right) will get you into the Tivo menu. However, as I stated, once you are in the menu system there is no getting out.

Hope this helps

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, are you sure that the "back" button (arrow pointing left) doesn't take you out of the Tivo menu? Or, maybe hitting the menu button again?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, are you sure that the "back" button (arrow pointing left) doesn't take you out of the Tivo menu? Or, maybe hitting the menu button again?

Already tried that. Does not work.

I think Logitech will eventually fix it.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Charles,

The hard buttons on the remote do replicate those on most remotes. There is channel + and - buttons allowing you to do surf channels with your fingers. There is also a volume + and - button and skip/forward and back buttons.

The 3-line button right below the round select button (top right) will get you into the Tivo menu. However, as I stated, once you are in the menu system there is no getting out.

Hope this helps

Ron, I see only one set of + and - buttons. How does the remote know if you want to turn up the volume as opposed to going up one channel? Is there a detailed user manual out there to explain the controls and functions? I found a 32 page Quick Start Guide (more like 16 pages as the other half is for French users) but that didn't explain the hard buttons or any other features or control functions. I guess one has to research this information on their website - really annoying. I love having access to a detailed manual before making a purchase. It really helps me in making final buying decisions if available. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I see only one set of + and - buttons. How does the remote know if you want to turn up the volume as opposed to going up one channel? Is there a detailed user manual out there to explain the controls and functions? I found a 32 page Quick Start Guide (more like 16 pages as the other half is for French users) but that didn't explain the hard buttons or any other features or control functions. I guess one has to research this information on their website - really annoying. I love having access to a detailed manual before making a purchase. It really helps me in making final buying decisions if available. :)

Hi Charles!

I was so busy concentrating on changing the channels by voice, I didn't spend enough time on the hard buttons associated with Tivo commands.

As you have already guessed, the + and - buttons only control the volume. There is no way to use a button to change the channels.

Channel changing can only be achieved by voice. You can speak the channel or simply give commands, "Channel up" and "Channel down." By speaking the up and down commands you can move forward or back through sequential channels.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
1. Yes, voice commands will work for any device you manually have to add and whose codes are supported by Logitech. Most all major components are.

Good to know but not a major requirement for me.

This only supports Alexa connected devices, not Google Home.

Glad I asked as I assumed it would work for both.
I don't know anything about IP control. If you can explain this a little, perhaps I can help. Basically, if a device can be controlled by Alexa voice commands, it should be compatible with this remote as it ties into your existing automated home setup.

By "IP control" I meant "can ti control devices via Ethernet or WiFi as opposed to IR and RF. If that were the case I might want to use the Android app on my Tab S, which is my control hub for the HT system.

Thanks again for the great review and for taking time to answer my questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks