What's new

Logan's Run? (1 Viewer)

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
I love the movie and highly recommend it - you should be able to get this for $14.99 max. There is a great old-school futuristic feel (does that even remotely make sense?:laugh: ) to it.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Hi, Bryan,

Thanks for replying. I am pretty sure I will love the movie, but I was wondering more about the quality of the DVD. I know it's widescreen and that it has a couple of commentaries, but how is the transfer? Some of these older films can look kind of muddy on DVD, unless some real effort and care has gone into them. So, is this one of those "buy it if you love it, but I wish they had done better" kinds of DVDs (in which case I might just rent it) or is it a decent disk?

I guess I should have been clearer on that in my original post. For the record, I did an HTF search on Logan's Run and found nothing about it here, which kind of surprised me.

Thanks again,

Deborah

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Logan's Run is one of my favorite sci-fi movies of that era. The transfer looks good (to me) and is well worth the $10 or so that it costs.

Scott, BTW my copy is anamorphic. I'm not sure if it's a re-release or not.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Information that the current Logan's Run dvd put out by Warner and available for about 10 dollars most places being non-anamorphic is simply not true. I own it and it is most definitely anamorphic. I'd say it's definitely worth the cheap price.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Confirm on anamorphic on both the original MGM release and the Warner snapper; the latter is just a repackaging of the first.

It's worth it for such a lovably goofy film with some memorable quotes. And I've said it before but I'll say it again: it makes a great double feature with "Free Enterprise". :)

Jason

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
So, it is an anamorphic edition but not "a pristine" anamorphic edition? ;)

Not to worry -- I am now convinced that it is worth the money. For the record: For me, cost is never the only consideration in deciding whether or not to buy a disk . Space is also a factor. I try not to buy things that are not worth the space they take up in my very small house. But this sounds like a classic that has at least been treated decently.

Free Enterprise? I am going to have to look that one up -- don't think I ever heard of it.

Thanks, guys!

Deborah

Deborah

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
'Free Enterprise' is an enjoyable movie provided you know a reasonable amount about the psyches of grown men who hang around comic stores, know the names of every extra who appeared on Star Trek (the original series - they'd *die* rather than admit to watching TNG) but at the sound of words like 'maturity' or 'commitment' would run a mile.

It concerns two uber-nerds with fringe jobs in the movie industry who by chance meet William Shatner in a used book store. One of them has an unbelievably nice girlfriend (this is more improbable that meeting WS) who splits up with him. A key thread of the movie is about his trying to win her back. Another is WS's character's (it's basically WS playing a tongue-in-cheek version of WS)plans for a new movie that is barking mad.

The pleasure in watching the movie are in the clever observations of movie nerd existence. There's even a helpful guide to the in-jokes as an extra.

Logan's run was the first thing I ever asked a girl out to see (yes, I know, but we all have to learn, however painful that may be). Not surprisingly, she turned me down. Naturally, I was mature and balanced about this, and it was merely fifteen years before I could face seeing the movie. I've got to say that when I did I found it v. funny, which I don't think was quite the reaction the director had in mind.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I could have sworn that I invoked the scaling feature on my Panny RP-91 for non-anamorphic discs when watching this film, but I just checked and you folks are correct -- Logan's Run is an anamorphic transfer.

According to www.dvdpricesearch.com there are several places selling the Warner Brothers version of this for well under $10. The WB version will have a snapper case. FYI, I own the WB version.

I guess it's true -- your memory is the second thing to go when you get older (I forget what the first thing is). :)

DeborahK

Supporting Actor

Scott, I can speak from experience here: The first thing to go is your knees! :D

Andrew, thanks for the run down on Free Enterprise. I realize now that I have heard of this movie -- it was recommended to me by a good friend after I showed her American Movie, one of my favorite films. I guess that is another one I am going to have to catch one of these days.

Deborah

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I thought the transfer was pretty good on Logan's Run, not perfect, but easily better than a lot of product from that era.

There was an extensive thread not two weeks ago on this very disc. I wonder where it went?

DeborahK

Supporting Actor

Really? I did a search on Logan's Run before I started this thread and it turned up nothing.

Deborah

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I also did a search and couldn't find it. It had lots of discussion of the deleted scenes, and links to a website with all the missing stuff notated.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I forget the name of the main women actress in the movie. Anyway, she is one of the most beautiful actresses ever. Great outfit she wears too... :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks