What's new

Live Aid finally gets DVD release [posted 3/8/2004] (2 Viewers)

Jim Rykel

Agent
Man, there are a lot of songs missing that I would really like to see, especially those by the Style Council, Black Sabbath and Neil Young. A purchase of this will depend on what kind of deals the B&M stores are going to have.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Wait a second. They DROPPED Madonna's Holiday & Into The Groove and left IN "Love Makes The World Go Round????" OK something is DEFINITELY wrong with this list.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
To repeat - are we certain this listing is right? We are making a big assumption that it's wrong.

I will still buy the disc because I'd like a legal souvenir of the day. I'll be annoyed if not everything is there but I'm not convinced that we've got the full track list yet. Has anyone got definitive information that the listing is the final one?

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Led Zeppelin performs, but they leave out Stairway to Heaven!?!

Black Sabbath performs, but they leave out Iron Man!?!

Is this a joke?
:angry:

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
This just dropped off my must have list. Only INXS is represented form OZ for Africa. I'll just watch my crappy VHS tapes.

danBomb

Auditioning
The thing I remember the most was that Duran Duran followed Zeppelin and blew them away! this was quite a disapointment for me because I hated Duran Duran and loved Zeppelin. It seems like most of the other performances were good. Does anyone remember the interview with Zeppelin after the show? Plant was pissed off and called the performance a sound check. Page was mumbling in a drugged out state.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Was the Page and Plant performance billed as Led Zeppelin? I don't remember that. I thought they never performed under that name after the official breakup. Even when they toured together later and played the old songs, they didn't use that name.

> I would've prefered a musically-themed release as I really don't care about all those new wave 80's pop and arena rock bands, etc.

I'd like a version of Woodstock without all those 60s bands. And a Star Trek box without all the aliens and spaceships.

MattHR

Screenwriter

No, but Mark Goodman kept calling it "the LZ reunion" during his commentary leading up to their performance. I believe the on-screen credits (as they began to perform) said "Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Phil Collins."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I got the discs today. I've not been able to screen them and won't for a few days, but the press release that came with the discs offers this same track listing. Could be wrong - I've seen mistaken press releases in the past - but it seems likely that it's correct.

Dunno if any of the HTF reviewers will write up this one, but I'll at least try to confirm the track listing ASAP...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Colin, thanks for this info. I guess the only hope is that where two tracks segued into each other only one title is given, but I fear that's a forlorn hope.

I wonder why stuff got left off? If it's because some copyright holders refused to give permission, then I think it's an excellent case for name and shame. If it's because someone in compiling this thought that we would only want a sample of each act, then the question is - why? We have track skip buttons on our remotes. Let the public decide what they want or don't want to hear (my personal gripe is leaving off Elton John's storming version of Can I Get A Witness; but hey, they found room for Cliff Richard). Leaving on some stuff whilst taking off others is assuming that the compiler's tastes match everyone else's. Newsflash - they don't.

And because of this crass excising of 6 hours from the concert, don't be remotely surprised if the 86 tracks Terry very helpfully outlined on page 4 of this thread appear on a pirate DVD. In other words, creating the very problem Bob Geldof was trying to avoid.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One DVD "missing track" correction: one of the songs listed in the Absent 86 is there:

77 DURAN DURAN- [04:41] Union Of The Snake

The other 85 are not...

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Colin,

Thanks for checking your review copy for confirmation. I wonder if the omission of these now 85 tracks are for legal reasons or creative. They seem like rather random decisions for removal. Very sad release. I'll be making my own dvd-r, thank you very much.

Terry

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
There were sound problems with the Led Zep set. To make it worse, Robert was terrified and Pageys guitar was definitely out of tune.

I have all the Zep reunions on a VHS tape.

Whats with only one song (and a bad one at that)from Queen? I remember their set being really fantastic. Even Radio GaGa souded great with Brian doing all the synth parts on the guitar.

Now if they put the US festivals from the early 80s on DVD, that would be really be something

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Obviously Led Zep was legal, and some probably got the boot for technical reasons, like the Who. For most, however, I suspect they simply didn't want to have to put out a seven or eight DVD set so they picked a sampling. It's not a RANDOM sampling, as most of the more popular stuff made it, but I'd not be surprised to see a Volume 2 at some point - with more than 80 missing songs, there's too much to let it sit on the shelves. Perhaps they want to see how this one sells and then go with the other stuff...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Joseph, this is a release for charity.

I know what people are saying about not buying a sub-standard product, but this set is primarily there to raise funds for a worthwhile cause.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
80+ missing tracks? Yowch! No sale for me, either. Besides, I got more important stuff to save my money towards, like stuff for the new baby at the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks