What's new

The Beatles: 1 (Blu-ray Audio/Video) (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I believe the filmed content presented in 1080i was originally filmed at 25fps.
Interesting. I wasn't aware that things were shot on film at 25fps but if it was intended just for broadcast on UK television, that makes logical sense. Was that a common practice?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Brian Kidd said:
Interesting. I wasn't aware that things were shot on film at 25fps but if it was intended just for broadcast on UK television, that makes logical sense. Was that a common practice?

Hi Brian!

Here's a link to an August 2014 article by Mark Hurwitz that details A HARD DAY'S NIGHT'S 4K Restoration for the 50th Anniversary Criterion Blu-Ray/DVD Release, that includes reference to Richard Lester's having to adjust Film Camera speed to 25 f.p.s. for TV Monitor filming: http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/08/beatlemania-in-black-white-restoring-a-hard-days-night-in-4k/

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to an August 2014 article by Mark Hurwitz that details A HARD DAY'S NIGHT'S 4K Restoration for the 50th Anniversary Criterion Blu-Ray/DVD Release, that includes reference to Richard Lester's having to adjust Film Camera speed to 25 f.p.s. for TV Monitor filming
Tony, thanks for the link. Yes, they would have had to either change the TV monitor to 24fps or the film camera to 25fps in order to film PAL TV monitors, however that would have been just for those scenes. The remainder of the film would have been 24fps, which has been the standard since sound came to movies. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that the Rain clip, for example, would have been shot at 25fps. I still say they were simply reusing old interlaced transfers on several of the clips rather than creating new ones at the correct frame rate. Oh, well. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference. They look fine. It just irks me that, for all of the hype around this set, they seem to have not spent the time and money to make sure everything is perfect. They also could have fit all of the clips on a BD-50 with no discernible loss in quality, but then they couldn't charge people an extra $30 for the "deluxe" set. It is what it is. The songs are still great and it's great to be able to see all of these clips, even if the set wasn't what I was expecting for the price and amount of publicity put out there before the release.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Brian Kidd said:
Tony, thanks for the link. Yes, they would have had to either change the TV monitor to 24fps or the film camera to 25fps in order to film PAL TV monitors, however that would have been just for those scenes. The remainder of the film would have been 24fps, which has been the standard since sound came to movies. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that the Rain clip, for example, would have been shot at 25fps. I still say they were simply reusing old interlaced transfers on several of the clips rather than creating new ones at the correct frame rate. Oh, well. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference. They look fine. It just irks me that, for all of the hype around this set, they seem to have not spent the time and money to make sure everything is perfect. They also could have fit all of the clips on a BD-50 with no discernible loss in quality, but then they couldn't charge people an extra $30 for the "deluxe" set. It is what it is. The songs are still great and it's great to be able to see all of these clips, even if the set wasn't what I was expecting for the price and amount of publicity put out there before the release.
Hi Brian!

I agree with all of the above.

Just when I thought I couldn't be any more pissed off over the Canadian Amazon pricing, I just discovered they added another $5 to the single Blu-ray, which is now listed at $29.99. In addition, ALL of the new related Beatles 1 stock is listed as either "Not In Stock" or "Available For Pre-Order - This item will be released on November 13 2015." Whoa! What happened to the November 6 release date?

This is the kind of F.B.S. that we Amazon Canada customers sometimes have to put up with! It's that these release dates suddenly change without any explanation that really burns my britches!

Ah well!

Tony

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
The blu-ray standard supports 1080 playback of 23.97p/i, 24p/i, 25p/i, and 29.97i. I'm betting this disk is all over that map.

Unless things have changed I'm sure the Bluray standard does not support 1080/25p which is why there is no content out there in that format and why UK HD tv is all 1080i.

Seems daft to have gone to all the trouble of having varying frame rates when the UK studio based stuff should be 25fps anyway so it still isn't right.

The title cards are a nice addition but their variable quality wasn't an issue because they are only title cards - not really anything important.

The 35mm material really does look incredible

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ok to stray away from any complaints, finally was able to get a copy, had to go to Barnes and Noble to find a Deluxe set. And I am in total love with the jukebox feature. As for the presentations, I believe that these as good as they are going to look for the way they filmed these. It is more of a look backstage as I haven't seen too many videos from that era, as the book states a lot of these were promotional.

Any complaints of this make me wonder, how upset we will eventually be if ever The Beatles Anthology that was on TV was to make an HD release. Was it filmed or was it Videotape, and as far as I can think of it is one of the few remaining documents to the Beatles that has yet to have an HD release, fingers crossed, that it will make a showing, think that it is one of the best comprehensive collection of the Bands work.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
turtledove said:
Unless things have changed I'm sure the Bluray standard does not support 1080/25p which is why there is no content out there in that format and why UK HD tv is all 1080i.

In 1080, blu-ray supports 29.97i (NTSC TV standard), 25i (PAL TV standard), 24p (Film standard) and 23.97p (Film standard drop frame).

http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authoritative-blu-ray-disc-bd-faq/4-physical-logical-and-application-specifications#4.6

I think the problem is when the 29.97i titles get sandwiched between 25i and/or 24p videos. The HDMI has to be able to negotiate three rate changes in the space of three seconds. They should have authored the titles in the same frame rate as the incoming video and added a couple of seconds of black before and after each video to allow for the equipment to fully make the change. Normally, the only time the frame rate changes on a blu-ray is when you go from 29.97i menu screens to 24p program. They almost always leave enough space there.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
dana martin said:
Ok to stray away from any complaints, finally was able to get a copy, had to go to Barnes and Noble to find a Deluxe set. And I am in total love with the jukebox feature. As for the presentations, I believe that these as good as they are going to look for the way they filmed these. It is more of a look backstage as I haven't seen too many videos from that era, as the book states a lot of these were promotional.

Any complaints of this make me wonder, how upset we will eventually be if ever The Beatles Anthology that was on TV was to make an HD release. Was it filmed or was it Videotape, and as far as I can think of it is one of the few remaining documents to the Beatles that has yet to have an HD release, fingers crossed, that it will make a showing, think that it is one of the best comprehensive collection of the Bands work.
Anthology badly needs remastering to HD. I hope that eventually comes about. And these promos are certainly a precursor for that possibility.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It will be tough to do an HD version of Anthology without going back and completely re-editing the whole shebang. Because it was made for the TV and home video standards of the 1990s, it was edited on video. At least it looks that way on the DVDs. The interviews and much of the clips were film-based, however, so if they still have all of the footage (and why wouldn't they?) it would be possible, if costly, to go back and recreate the documentary episodes in HD. Can you imagine how much they'd charge for that? :blink:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Brian Kidd said:
It will be tough to do an HD version of Anthology without going back and completely re-editing the whole shebang. Because it was made for the TV and home video standards of the 1990s, it was edited on video. At least it looks that way on the DVDs. The interviews and much of the clips were film-based, however, so if they still have all of the footage (and why wouldn't they?) it would be possible, if costly, to go back and recreate the documentary episodes in HD. Can you imagine how much they'd charge for that? :blink:
I have the 1996 laserdisc box of the Anthology, which has PCM stereo audio only. The 2003 DVD box added a disc of extras and 5.1 surround audio mixes for the music in the episodes, so they've already upgraded once for an improved video format. Given the quality of the new "Beatles 1" video set, I think Apple would do a good job on an HD Anthology, and I bet some Christmas shopping season in the near future, they will.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Brian Kidd said:
That process was just done for Ken Burns' The Civil War. It takes time. I hope they do it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
I have the 1996 laserdisc box of the Anthology, which has PCM stereo audio only. The 2003 DVD box added a disc of extras and 5.1 surround audio mixes for the music in the episodes, so they've already upgraded once for an improved video format. Given the quality of the new "Beatles 1" video set, I think Apple would do a good job on an HD Anthology, and I bet some Christmas shopping season in the near future, they will.

Hi David!

While this fall marks the 20th Anniversary of THE BEATLES: ANTHOLOGY 3 part broadcasts, next year also marks the 20th anniversary of the VHS/Laserdisc sets, both of which were significant expansions (Or more accurately, the broadcasts were the rather condensed form!) of these broadcasts! Indeed, even an announcement of something in the works for a Blu-ray version would be most welcome news! Perhaps, new segments with Paul and Ringo could be arranged for such a venture?

Tony

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The 2003 DVD box added a disc of extras and 5.1 surround audio mixes for the music in the episodes, so they've already upgraded once for an improved video format.

The difference is that the video wasn't really upgraded. It was still the same NTSC transfer created for the VHS and Laserdisc release. I'd be really happy if they were able to upgrade the video to HD for a Blu-ray release, but that would be a much more labor-and-cost-intensive proposition than simply upgrading the sound. Never say never!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Brian Kidd said:
The difference is that the video wasn't really upgraded. It was still the same NTSC transfer created for the VHS and Laserdisc release. I'd be really happy if they were able to upgrade the video to HD for a Blu-ray release, but that would be a much more labor-and-cost-intensive proposition than simply upgrading the sound. Never say never!
You KNOW they're going to do it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
i HAVE fond memories of Anthology .. a great set for its time.

But right now I have to play the waiting-game .. Amazon has shipped out the deluxe edition to me here in Australia .. but I leave home tonight, being forced to fly first to Seville, then fly to Rome and then catch a train to Venice for 30 days of bliss ... first time in Seville, but my wife and I get to Rome and Venice as often as we can afford. Who needs money in the bank!

With luck, the parcel will be waiting for us when we get back .. and My Fair Lady will be waiting too, for its inaugural big-screen projector night here.

In my absence, all the best to you, one and all.....

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Brian Kidd said:
Also, the more l listen to the new mix of Real Love, the more I wish I had it to listen to outside of the Blu-ray. Going to have to find a way to fix that.
I'm glad someone mentioned the mix of Real Love. In my opinion it's not a remix but an alternate version of the song. The guitar work is completely different from the single version, as well as other differences. I checked the Anthology DVD and it has the single mix as well. I'll need to find a way to extract that mix from the Blu as well.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I had trouble with some of the 5.1 mixes ,Ticket to ride had way to loud Bass on my system had to switch to stereo

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What is disappointing is that some of the film-based material is presented in 29.97fps 1080i, likely because it was an old HD master they already had and they didn't bother to do a better 24fps 1080p transfer.
Well, what's REALLY disappointing is that ALL of the videotape-based material is at the WRONG frame rate. Regardless of how it's encoded on the disc, it's at about 24 or 25 frames per second when it should be 30 (at least for the Ed Sullivan Show clips, I don't know the exact frame rate of PAL video off-hand but I know this isn't it!) Seems like a lot of people are blind to that as I rarely hear any complaints about most video streaming services able to handle full framerate video, and some of the shows on the Johnny Carson Vault set are also at the wrong frame rate!

And yes, the hand-shaking during format changes is annoying- I wish TVs had the option to disable the display that comes on when that happens. At least I can hit the Display button on my remote to make it go away, but it's still annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks