What's new

The Beatles: 1 (Blu-ray Audio/Video) (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The frame rates are correct for all the various clips. That isn't the problem. The problem is that they switch frame rates too fast and don't allow a little space for the TV to recover.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
The frame rates are correct for all the various clips. That isn't the problem. The problem is that they switch frame rates too fast and don't allow a little space for the TV to recover.

If there's no 50hz content on the discs the frame rate clearly isn't correct for some of the films. The studio bound Granada promos which would have been tape based most certainly would have been 50hz

My Panasonic tv takes a few seconds to adjust if the input changes from 50hz to 60hz etc but it's as if the playback on my Panasonic Bluray Recorder actually waits until the change is completed and then playback continues. Maybe because both devices are Panasonic. Same thing happens when changing between HD and SD material on Bluray discs

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen the standard DVD edition of this? Wondering if they got the frame rates right on that. (The newly-shot stuff with Ringo Starr IS at a proper video frame rate on the BDs.)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copy finally arrived yesterday, and it seems to me that the BD shows the limitations of the source tape, particularly for the oldest films. On the other hand, something like the promo film for Shea Stadium (the video for Eight Days a Week) is incredibly beautiful. Wow - the clarity and color really is impressive.

This has me anxious for a complete Shea Stadium video, as well as high def transfers of Let It Be and Anthology. Make it happen, Apple!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
turtledove said:
If there's no 50hz content on the discs the frame rate clearly isn't correct for some of the films.

I think there is 25fps content on the disk... and 29.97... and 24... all mashed in together switching back and forth in short periods of time between videos. That's exactly the problem. Too many frame rates and too many changes of frame rates.

I see no jitter on this disk at all. The frame rates all work. The authoring of the disk doesn't.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
I think there is 25fps content on the disk... and 29.97... and 24... all mashed in together switching back and forth in short periods of time between videos. That's exactly the problem. Too many frame rates and too many changes of frame rates.

I see no jitter on this disk at all. The frame rates all work. The authoring of the disk doesn't.

There can't be 25fps content on the Blu otherwise we'd have lots of US buyers complaining they can't play some of the videos as most US gear isn't 50hz compaitible.

Although the UK studio material should be 25fps I think it's converted on the Bluray.

As it's already most likely been copied to a 16mm film telerecordings in the 60's I guess they decided the conversion wasn't an issue because it already lacks the quality to show up how grotty it really is.

Had it originally been 625 line colour material ( UK 1969 onwards) the shift would be noticeable but as its originally 405 line it wasn't that good to begin with.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wasn't All You Need Is Love originally in black and white? And isn't this version colorized? The skin tones have that touch of gray that colorized films often do.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't All You Need Is Love originally in black and white? And isn't this version colorized? The skin tones have that touch of gray that colorized films often do.
Yes. It was colorized for the Anthology back in the 90's and that's the version they've used. That's also why I strongly suspect that the other clips that are film-based that they transferred for the Anthology back then are not 1080p 24fps. They just used an old 1080i NTSC transfer instead of making new transfers of the clips. I'm guessing that they thought it looked good enough and that most people won't notice. Saves them some money. Honestly, most people won't.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Brian Kidd said:
Yes. It was colorized for the Anthology back in the 90's and that's the version they've used. That's also why I strongly suspect that the other clips that are film-based that they transferred for the Anthology back then are not 1080p 24fps. They just used an old 1080i NTSC transfer instead of making new transfers of the clips. I'm guessing that they thought it looked good enough and that most people won't notice. Saves them some money. Honestly, most people won't.

Hi Brian!

My understanding was that although the 'Our World' broadcast of 'All You Need Is Love' was in Black & White, that it was also simultaneously shot in color, no? I ask this, because it's been my assumption that any extra visual trickery was limited to the videos for the then new Beatles' tracks and the opening "The Beatles Anthology" titles.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I wasn't going to chime in till I got the set. I am hoping for verification that I bought the right set. I bought the 1 CD and 2 blu ray set, and the one that's advertised with the 124 page book. Of course the images on the Beatles website and Amazon, to me implied a hardcover book. But the set appears that the book is actually what houses the discs on the 'covers' with trays and sandwiches the book between inside. Is that right? Because the packaging doesn't say there is a book included. The price reflects the deluxe set. The hardcover part of the book appears blue and not red like in the photos.

Thanks!

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Brian!

My understanding was that although the 'Our World' broadcast of 'All You Need Is Love' was in Black & White, that it was also simultaneously shot in color, no? I ask this, because it's been my assumption that any extra visual trickery was limited to the videos for the then new Beatles' tracks and the opening "The Beatles Anthology" titles.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

The book that accompanies the Blu states it was B&W only but colorised for the Anthology and that clip is used here.

Miles

Second Unit
FYI I'm a Canuckle-head who has received a copy of the 2BD + CD set. It showed up on Friday. So they should be showing up for others as well

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
It just popped up to join the CD and single Blu-Ray/DVD sets on the HMV website for $59.99.

Yet Amazon Canada stubbornly sticks to their $69.99 price point, even as their Marketplace Vendors with UK addresses are offering it up in the lower 60's! :unsure:

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Finally listened to the 5.1 mixes on Friday nite.

While a lot of people are underwhelmed to dismissive, I think they're brilliant.

One anomaly is Ticket To Ride, the LFE is way too hot. Impossible to miss.

Otherwise the SQ is excellent with a nice life-sized soundstage.

Overall, the mastering is a bit hotter than I like but nothing that isn't cured with a judicious volume tweak.

Still very crankable and non-fatiguing.

BD #2 is killer.

If anyone here is wavering about what edition to get, the 2BD set is really the only way to go, imo.

With the generally negative view of 1, I wonder how much of it is based on the listener's system and setup.

I mean I'm just not hearing what many are complaining about and while I don't pretend to have the best setup,

I do have a dedicated room, matched L/C/R speakers and use ARC room correction among other things.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
I don't have a dedicated room and I find the sound on the main Bluray to be superb.

It does default to PCM each time I play the disc but switching to the DTS track widens the soundstage considerably. I wonder if those not happy with it are underwhelmed by the default PCM track.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They're disappointed because they wanted Love style active rears. (That is a good term for it I think!)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
They're disappointed because they wanted Love style active rears.

Yeah, at least in my case. I understand that others aren't as interested in an active surround mix. To each their own.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
turtledove said:
The book that accompanies the Blu states it was B&W only but colorised for the Anthology and that clip is used here.

That's what I figured, but doesn't anyone else think that the B&W version of All You Need Is Love should have also been included?

Why anyone - in 2015 or in 1995 - would colorize a film is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks