What's new

LD player problems (1 Viewer)

Mike Huey

Grip
I have a Pioneer CLD-D704, and I've noticed that whenever I chapter skip, sometimes the onscreen player display (such as: PLAY, CHAPTER 13, etc.) has red/green halos around the lettering and when I chapter skip, the motor grinds a little, is that a problem? Also, when pausing CLV discs there is a slight jitter before the picture becomes still. Is that normal? I'm using S-video with a 53 inch Pioneer Widescreen RPTV.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Try turning the DVNR off; also try using the composite video output, since the comb filter in your TV may well be better than the one in the '704. Other than that, the machine may need an alignment. If there's a HT dealer in your area who's been in business a long time, his technician may be able to handle it cheaper than an authorised Pioneer service center.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I would definitely use the composite output from the ld player. The 704 has a good 3 line digital filter, but the Pioneer widescreens have better 3D comb filters. I also agree with Chris to turn of the noise reduction feature of the 704 if using it and use the 3D noise reduction on your pioneer.

I would also highly recommend that you contact Duncan from www.laserdiscservice.com for a "tuneup". He is the best there is with LD and he will be able to fully service your 704 and get it in peak operating condition. He has worked on my HLD-X9 and he is the best.

greg_t

Screenwriter
You would have to ask Duncan. Just email him and ask. He's a great guy. Mine needed some repairs done and he checked everything while he was in there. I would have him check to see if anything needs replaced, cleaned, get it aligned, etc. If you intend on keeping the player for a while it's well worth it.

I also have a Pioneer Elite CLD79, which is essentially the same as your 704 video wise and used it with my Pioneer Elite 53" widescreen. I found the noise reduction on the player to be terrible and kept it off on mine. I also suggest using composite video to the TV has the HDTV has a better 3D comb filter that has some level of adjustablity. What model Pioneer HDTV do you have? SD-533?

John S

Senior HTF Member
While a little on the expensive side. Pioneer still fully supports all their laserdisc players.

When you send them in for an issue, they often go an extra mile with them. You tend to get a much better player back than you sent in. Well same player of course.

They check specs, and bring everything back to within specification. Of course there is no magic in this, and others are qualified and can do it. But even though I don't own a Pioneer, the friends of mine that do, have been blown away with the detail and quality of sending them back to Pioneer for service.

Quite refreshing when you consider the horror stories of those that have sent their Denon players back to Denon in the last few years.

Mike Huey

Grip
I have a Pioneer SD-582HD-5. I don't know whether or not my player is in need of re-alignment, but I wish there were more tell-tale signs. Switching from S-video to composite stopped the jitter that occured during freeze frame, but there are still some green/red halos around the on-screen display lettering sometimes (only when skipping chapters). I wonder if this is just a normal occurance?

greg_t

Screenwriter
I see that on my set too. I think it's just a normal occurence. I also suspect that my pioneer elite HDTV needs a convergence and geometry tweak. I'm sure it's not my LD player has Duncan has it in tip top condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks