What's new

3D Blu-ray Review 3-D Rarities: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The negative reviews on Amazon about 3D Rarities seem to be from people expecting a rollercoaster ride of widescreen color spectaculars rather than a collection of historically rare shorts.

I love the disc but it seems obvious to me this disc is designed to dip into on multiple occasions when you fancy a 3D fix and is not intended to be sat through in just one sitting.

The B&W material is fascinating but after you've seen a handful of them you feel like a change so skipping over to the color and widescreen content feels like a new start.

It's rather like sitting through one of those Warner Bros cartoon collections. They're excellent but I couldn't watch 20 or 30 in one sitting

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Bob Furmanek said:
And that's precisely why we have it in two parts with an intermission!

Most of the negative reviews seem to be people expecting to replicate Gravity 3D or some other modern CGI pap.

I know there are lots of classic 3D movies left but the only one I feel really does need to come out is It Came From Outer Space.

What is the holdup?

Were Universal disappointed by the sales of Black Lagoon? They should let your team handle it Bob - it's a conspicuously missing 3D classic - seeing the 3D trailer makes me want to see it even more.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
youworkmen said:
Most of the negative reviews seem to be people expecting to replicate Gravity 3D or some other modern CGI pap
Gravity didn't have trombone slides poking out into the middle of my living room. The 3D in these historical shorts is way more aggressive than what you see today!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
6 "critical" layman reviews out of 64 is a pretty good average. And a quick glance reveals their mindset.

I'm pleased to say that all of the professional reviews - including the esteemed Robert A. Harris - have been overwhelmingly positive.

You can read them on the main page of our website at www.3dfilmarchive.com

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Mark-P said:
Gravity didn't have trombone slides poking out into the middle of my living room. The 3D in these historical shorts is way more aggressive than what you see today!

I think the reviewers were looking for something as polished as modern footage. I don't think the 3D effects were lacking in any way. It just seemed like they weren't ready for multiple "old" films.

If the reviewers are to be believed they really didn't seem to look at what they were buying beyond the 3D logo.

Can we look forward to Volume 2?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
3-D RARITIES will premiere in the UK on September 4 as part of an evening with Dr. Brian May at the Cambridge Film Festival. We are truly honored to have this wonderful opportunity!

http://www.film-news.co.uk/show-news.asp?H=The-Cambridge-Film-Festival-returns&nItemID=32515

2010-life-brian_may-3d_art_800x532.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Please take a moment to nominate the 3-D Film Archive restorations of these historically significant films for the National Film Registry. We have digital masters and want to output the files to 35mm polyester film stock for long-term preservation.

NEW DIMENSIONS - The first domestic full-color polarized 3-D film, it opened in May 1940 at the New York World's Fair. By time the Fair closed in October of that year, this landmark 3-D film had been seen by an estimated 4.5 million people. It has been restored from the original and rapidly deteriorating 35mm left/right dye-transfer Technicolor elements.

DOOM TOWN - The first (and only) Golden Age 3-D documentary. This historic film documenting the March 1953 atom bomb tests in Yucca Flats, Nevada was seen in just a few theaters and then withdrawn from release possibly for it's strong anti-nuclear message. It has been saved and restored from the original 35mm left/right negatives.

http://www.loc.gov/programs/national-film-preservation-board/film-registry/nominate/

The more requests for these additions to the Registry, the better chance we'll have. Thank you very much!

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
I love this disc and agree with all of the positive that is said about it. However, have been having a slight issue with the 3D in some of the shorts. I'm 100% confident that its not the disc. In the short I'll Sell My Shirt when she swings toward the screen it gets blurry hard to focus when she should leap off the screen. Its almost as if the left and right eyes aren't being aligned properly. Could this be the cause of the player? My TV is a LG CM565 and my player is a LG BP530. My brother has a entry level EPSON projector and I played this disc on it and had the same issues using the same player. His projector uses active 3D while my TV uses passive 3D.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It was the camera and the shutters were out of phase for that shot. It cannot be fixed and we discuss this issue in the liner notes.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Bob Furmanek said:
It was the camera and the shutters were out of phase for that shot. It cannot be fixed and we discuss this issue in the liner notes.
Oh ok. Thanks for the information.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You're very welcome.

We made sure to describe issues in the liner notes that could not be fixed, such as the 18 seconds of flat footage in the HANNAH LEE trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks