What's new

3D Blu-ray Review 3-D Rarities: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the clarification Bob, I appreciate it! Was IN TUNE WITH TOMORROW among the first polarized productions Americans were introduced to on a somewhat large scale?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Bob Furmanek said:
The first short for the 1939 New York World's Fair - IN TUNE WITH TOMORROW - is a completely different film. It proved so popular, they did the new one in color and spent more time on the production.

attachicon.gif
Collage-web.gif
Does IN TUNE WITH TOMORROW still exist?

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Due to a huge backlog of unwatched purchases, I've stopped buying Blu-rays. But there are always rare exceptions, and this is one of them. Looking forward to watching it!

Marc Hampton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Saw the presentation of this at MOMA yesterday. It was one of those screenings that was actually "exciting," and the audience clearly loved it. I'll definitely be buying the Blu-ray.

What struck me most was the quality of the 3D in the early 20th century films. It was so effective and realistic...even more so than in some of the better-known 1950's films I've seen. (The footage of the Coney Island Thunderbolt was wonderful...I was literally JUST lamenting to someone about the secretive/sleazy way it was torn down. )

I'm looking forward to seeing this again at home.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Marc Hampton said:
Saw the presentation of this at MOMA yesterday. It was one of those screenings that was actually "exciting," and the audience clearly loved it. I'll definitely be buying the Blu-ray.

What struck me most was the quality of the 3D in the early 20th century films. It was so effective and realistic...even more so than in some of the better-known 1950's films I've seen. (The footage of the Coney Island Thunderbolt was wonderful...I was literally JUST lamenting to someone about the secretive/sleazy way it was torn down. )

I'm looking forward to seeing this again at home.

Thank you so much and it was a VERY exciting New York premiere. Selling out at the Museum of Modern Art is not to be taken lightly!

I agree, that footage on the Thunderbolt is amazing.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Somebody asked about the challenges in restoring the wide array of materials in this collection.

Here's the story of one film.

The 1940 dye-transfer 35mm safety prints of NEW DIMENSIONS were so brittle, shrunken and curled with vinegar syndrome, they required multiple 4K wetgate passes in order to harvest the full-resolution of the 35mm image.

These elements will not even be able to scan in another year or two. They're that far gone.

This short is historically significant: it is the first full-color domestic 3-D film.

Greg Kintz than spent weeks doing multiple-edits and image stabilization passes/alignment in order to restore it. The dynamic variable density optical 35mm track was sent to Chace Audio in Burbank for scanning. Greg took the raw Chace master and did additional work to restore the track, making sure to keep the original EQ and room-tone intact.

Thad Komorowski took the final left/right masters and did additional image clean-up and restoration. We will eventually output back to 35mm film for long-term preservation.

And that's just one short in the collection. There's a story behind every film!

ND_01L.gif

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Amazing. And scary. That is a stunning early-color (and very entertaining) 3-D piece. It's unthinkable that it could have been lost and remained unknown forever to most of us.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There are poor quality dupes out there that were stolen from me in the late 1990's when I trusted the wrong person but they pale in comparison to this new 4K restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks