What's new

HELP WITH PIONNER CLD D704 LASERDISC PLAYER (1 Viewer)

hingber

Auditioning
Real Name
howard ingber
I have a Pioneer CLD D704 laserdisc player that will not play laserdiscs but does play CDs. I set this unit to play CDs only about 8 years ago. It did a great job. Now I sold the unit to someone who wants to play laserdiscs. When he tried a laserdisc the unit started fine but shut off after 5 seconds. He took the cover off and saw the discs spin and then stop. The CDs play fine. He cleaned the rubber pad or washer that makes contact with the laserdisc but that did not help. Checking around I got info like the spindle motor might be able to spin the CDs but not the heavier laserdisc. Can the spindle motor be lubricated with a drop of oil? Could something else aside from the spindle motor be causing this problem? Is it worth fixing with this problem?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Howard:

I used to keep an old Beta Hifi VCR in operation with a drop or two of lightweight oil on the drive motor. I don't see what the harm would be. Definitely worth a shot.

BTW, I deleted your identical threads in the other forums. We ask only one thread per subject please. This is the correct forum for your query.

And...I knew some Ingbers here in upstate New York. Is it a common name?

Good luck!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Send an E-Mail to Kurtis Bahr and he'll respond. I have a 704 in the secondary basement system and an Elite 79 in the main system which are essentially the same machine. I got the 704 for that reason and per his instruction got an extra spindle motor and another part or two that is more prone to problems so I could keep at least one of them running long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks