LCD Projector problems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Hood, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Carl Hood

Carl Hood Extra

Hi,

My Sony projector starts out fine from cold, but after about an hour or so one small portion of the display (around middle top)seems to take on a slight green cast. "Dark" movies with greys are most affected. For example smoke from a chimney in a movie scene will start out blue/grey then as it passes through the affected area of the display the smoke turns sickly green then back to blue/grey. Similarily, off-white walls are tinted with green in the affected area. The rest of the display remains perfect (or at least consistent). It is very noticable on B/W movies. Very annoying.

Might I have a problem with the LCD panels themselves, associated electronics, or maybe excessive heat? It isn't something I have been able to correct via normal user adjustments.Before I return my projector to a service centre, I would really like to get some idea of what might be happening.

Thanks. Carl.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Does your LCD projector have more than one temp setting? Perhaps it is a combintion of this and the type of screen creating a hot spot in the viewing area?

3. Carl Hood

Carl Hood Extra

The projector has two temperature settings - High (optimised for PAL white temperature) and Low (optimised for NTSC white temperature). I use high by default. I tried the low setting which reduced the impact of the hot spot, but it was still there. Overall, the low setting has too much red push which I find objectionable. I guess if I adjusted gain/bias to reduce the red, I would be left with the original problem. Although I can enter the service mode, I don't like to muck around with these settings too much because I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I operate the projector in a totally dark room so my screen is a simple affair - just a matt-white fabric stretched across a frame. No "gain" as far as I know. I don't need a high-gain screen. But your point is well taken. I should point out the hot spot only occurs with shades. A pure white or highly saturated colours display (from Avia disk) are perfect apart from some obvious dust accumulation somewhere on the optics internally.

My projector is 3 years old (VPLX600) and the lamp has 720 hours.

Appreciate the response! - Carl.