What's new

Lawrence of Arabia, blind purchase??? (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I've seen this used for $17.99. I've seen a lot of the "classics" but I haven't seen this one yet. I've heard a lot of dispute about the aspect ratio and different things and was wondering if this is worth a blind purchase or if another edition was coming? Let me know.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes it's worth a blind purchase, yes another edition is coming but it's a single disc non-special edition. For $17.99 I'd say it's a steal!

greg_t

Screenwriter
Go for it! Get it before the 2 disc version is replaced by a the one disc version.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The DVD version is the only version of the movie I've seen, and I personally thought it was great.

However, the man responsible for the restoration, Robert A. Harris, is a member of this forum and he has stated several times that he believes the DVD version is not representative of the director's (Davis Lean) vision. He said, for instance:

The studio set out to prove that they could deal with the problems of the film with no outside support. While they did a superb campaign, elegant packaging and were successful as far as sales are concerned, they botched the job badly. As a representation of David Lean and Freddie Young's work, it was a failure. Hopefully it will be given a second chance and the public will see the film as it supposed to look and sound. To the specifics: Colour and densities are off in many sections of the film, sometimes horribly so. Much of the film is slightly out of sync. Audio (music) cues have been "helpfully" re-edited by an outside vendor to solve "problems" and never noticed by anyone at the studio, making one scene totally idiotic and another simply badly done. There are errors and inconsistencies in documentary programming, this beside the fact that somehow the film was miraculously reconstructed and restored with no one in charge, much like Moulin Rouge being created without a director.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a blind purchase. But, I also believe Mr. Harris is correct. But, what is going to change? I doubt, since the SE was released as it was, that any revisit to LoA is going to be more faithful to Lean's vision. That's not to say it can't happen, or won't, but it's not probable and as such, buying the current version is worth the money.

Bruce

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
One could sit and pick many knits with this DVD I suppose, but let it be said that Lawrence of Arabia is one of the best motion pictures ever made and simply must be seen--period. The DVD is spotty in certain areas, noticeable even to semi-ignorant film buffs like me, but by and large we get the gist of it and the gist is this: WOW.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Buy it. Where else are you gonna see it in widescreen and in 5.1? AMC sometimes shows it in widescreen, but very rarely. It's an excellent movie also.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Buy it. Where else are you gonna see it in widescreen and in 5.1?
The only proper place - in a real movie theater! The 70mm re-release comes out on September 20 in New York and L.A. (and other cities). It would be worth a long drive to see it in 70mm. LOA should NOT be seen for the first time on video.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I guess it's about 10 hours to Chicago, according to Mapquest. He could make it a long weekend vacation up in the Windy City and see the picture as well! I drove 5 hours each way to see 2001 last year - it was more than worth it. :)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
This sounds like a no risk purchase. If you don't like it, you can sell it down the road for at least as much as you paid when the 2-disc version goes OOP.
What are you waiting for?!?!?
;)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely pick Lawrence of Arabia up. It's one of the best films ever made, in my opinion.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I have never seen LOA in the theater or all at once, just bits and parts when playin on cable tv. I own the DVD but I have not had the time to commit four hours to watch it. Is the Laser Disc release a better representation of the directors vision ?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info. I figured I would buy it. You say a one disc edition is coming? They're gonna cram the whole movie on one disc? or you mean, just the barebones movie on two discs with no extras?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i rent lawrence of arabia. i didnt know that the movie spanned on 2 dvds. i like the first disc, interesting story. but i think it was simply too long. the journey on the desert could have been shorter without hurting the overall story, imho. i am gonna try to rent the second disc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks